Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:18 pm

I think the time to show the trailer was right otherwise we would have more critism from gaming site who use clickbait articels to bash shenmue. BUT I do agree that they should have put "Working in progress" or "pre-pre-alpha" or something like that in the trailer to make sure that not only the shenmue fans know about the status of the current footage is.
Its doesn't matter if people read the description or not. As marketing team you can't blame the viewer not to read the description because at the end of the day only sales numbers matter so the marketing team need 100% to make sure that every one who watching the trailer know the status of current footage. This little info maybe would have prevented some casual viewers to lose interest early for the game and most likely lead to more sales which increases the chances for shenmue 4.
Shenmue_Trilogy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Really, you shouldn't need a "work in progress" plastered on it to realise that the teaser showed the game in a no-where near finished state.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm

And again, there are examples of times when YSnet put work in progress disclaimers right on screen... and people still didn't use their fucking heads about it being pre-release and subject to change.

Don't argue for the morons who can't put 2 and 2 together. They're not worth it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 am

Agree with everything South Carmain said. But a "work-in-progress" logo would really have been a vain act.

People expected something polished but YSnet gave the feeling that they accomplished few things over two years. Somehow, that's the truth since we know the production never exactly started out. That's kinda horrifying when you're not following closely the development progress.

If you publish your video through a Sony channel, that means you show the world a product you're proud of, a wip product visually close to the final version. That's how the interface is meant via the classical promotional canals.

The only people able to appreciate and understand the teaser were people well documented about the project and mainly confident about the Yu's way of proceed. At this stage, the real solution was to not show the teaser in any way. But YSnet did not have the choice, end of story.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 pm

I wonder if Spaghetti realises that not everyone viewing the trailer has immediate access to the description on YouTube. It's certainly not on every app version, descriptions don't appear when embedded, and if you're watching it fullsceen as part of a playlist...

The reactions are exactly that. Reactions. If they did any form of basic research that you're crying out for everyone to do (which is a ridiculous notion within itself), then it becomes an analysis.

The problems people have are with the visuals. How this game is being presented. Was the video presented as a WIP? No. The video's YouTube directory did that. That isn't the video itself. Most have the common sense to add a "pre-alpha footage" disclaimer either at the beginning of the video or somewhere permanently on screen.

It's not about them "having too much faith in expecting people to read" as you so pretentiously put it, but about the marketing team either being woefully inexperienced or just generally poor at their job.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 pm

It is genuinely baffling the lengths some of you are going to defend the ignorant. Jeeeeeeesus.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 pm

I'll add an elaboration. I've mostly said my piece, but my last post is a little thin on the ground.

When you are genuinely wondering about the viewership not being able to read the video description because of the app they're using - you're making excuses.

When you're bringing back the old chestnut of marking the footage obviously as pre-release and subject to change (despite other footage having the same disclaimer and largely having no effect on people's abilities to use their head) - you're making excuses.

When you're telling me I shouldn't expect more than instant reactions without any deeper thought - you're making excuses.

I'm not asking people to read War and Peace. I'm not asking people to complete quadratic sums in their heads. Are frighteningly low, cynical standards the only way to expect people to behave?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Is Spaghetti a satire account run by n00dl3z or summat?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 pm

:roll:
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:23 am

Trailers are ads at the end of the day. The point of an ad is to sell you a product. Asking people to do anything outside of looking at or watching your ad is asking to much of people. People are granting you 2 minutes of their time and you should use it wisely, not moan because they formed an opinion on what you showed them as they didn't look into a product you've already made seem unappealing.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 am

Spaghetti wrote: I'll add an elaboration. I've mostly said my piece, but my last post is a little thin on the ground.

When you are genuinely wondering about the viewership not being able to read the video description because of the app they're using - you're making excuses.

When you're bringing back the old chestnut of marking the footage obviously as pre-release and subject to change (despite other footage having the same disclaimer and largely having no effect on people's abilities to use their head) - you're making excuses.

When you're telling me I shouldn't expect more than instant reactions without any deeper thought - you're making excuses.

I'm not asking people to read War and Peace. I'm not asking people to complete quadratic sums in their heads. Are frighteningly low, cynical standards the only way to expect people to behave?

There's a difference between being realist and making excuses. Making excuses would be saying something along the lines of "it's okey that they didn't bother anticipating the public's reaction then adjusting their strategy accordingly because there are always people who complain anyway".
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:48 am

YSnet doesn't consider it a promotional effort, so I can't fathom why we keep going in circles about it supposedly being an "ad". Their word is the end of it. They know what they made.

YSnet's own language on the Kickstarter is that it's a progress video. Even the Playstation YouTube video (which apparently was meant to launch at the same time as the KS video) hedges its bets as "1st teaser" and a video description of "The first teaser of Shenmue III is built from a small slice of an in-development build of the game, and it delivers small peeks in new look of main characters, new characters, and feels of Shenmue world."

It doesn't even say what year the game is supposed to release FFS.

Trying to convince people that something that clearly wasn't an ad was an ad, and should have looked like an ad, but in the same breath making excuses for people who won't read a video description barely over 35 words... just... what?

-----

I did write this as a reply to Riku Rose, but I guess I'll squeeze you in too, South Carmain.

Ah, the old "realist" chestnut.

Who sounds more like a realist; the fan who acknowledges the project still has a ways to go but sees progress in a progress video, or the fan who thinks this was an unmitigated disaster because it didn't fit the definition of a type of video it wasn't meant to be in the first place? Do realists even exist with subjective events and media? (spoilers, this'll be covered later)

The fact it ended up on the Playstation YouTube means absolutely zero. It doesn't magically change YSnet's intent with the video, how they described it themselves, or even how the video description (with over 35, long, difficult, dreadfully hard words like "the") goes out of its way to put emphasis on being a heavily in-development build. These are the only absolute truths about the aim of the video. The YouTube channel debate is an entirely flimsy way to justify completely unrealistic expectations, reactions, and definitions you're ascribing to the progress video.

For an attempt to return this thread to Earth, let's take a look at the video on the Playstation YouTube itself: There are around 750,000 views on the progress video on the PS YouTube channel. There are just under 3000 comments, with no real idea of how many are negative or positive or how those numbers compare. There are 3000 dislikes, and 9000 likes. 3:1. 3 in 4 people who cared to vote on the video liked what they saw.

None of this is particularly scientific, but the only verifiable metric of the positive or negative impact of the progress video (unless you want to literally read every YouTube comment, Twitter post, video game forum, etc and weigh it against studies on views vs comments, likes vs comments, are people more likely to post if they have a negative opinion, general negativity bias in psychology, etc) are the likes and dislikes. And likes won, three times over.

The obsession over the perception of the progress video because of incredibly flimsy justifications like one of the YouTube channels it happened to appear on, or that 35 words of context is too much for the average viewer, is actually kind of crazy. Everything else going on, and that is the main preoccupation of some of you in this thread? Give me a fucking break. Realist? There is literally no such fucking thing here, and probably anywhere else.

Yu Suzuki is returning to Japan with a bigger budget, slightly larger dev team, an aim to expand the game significantly, and the ability to personally devote more time from his workday to actual development.

At least I decide to base my optimism (and yes, I'm not afraid to call my opinions what they actually are, unlike the pessimists pretending to be realists) on what we found out from Gamescom and where the project is going next.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Shenmue_Legend, Sonoshee
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 am

Umm a teaser is promotional.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:46 pm

jesus h titty fucking christ son
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm

You don't seem to grasp the fact that showing off a product is promotional material.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III