Ryo's Accessories

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Ryo's Accessories

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 am

I wanted to see what everyone thinks Ryo will use for storing his info and keeping track of time. I wouldn't be shocked if he had a cell phone in this game rather than a notepad and watch. I am aware that it's taking place the late 80's, but ys has had no problem transcending time before. We've seen this with Ryo's 1999 Timex Expedition watch, Ryo's Sega Saturn, Joy's 2001 Honda Blackbird, etc..

I'm interested in what everyone thinks. Maybe since Sony is taking part, he'll have a Sony smartphone? Hmm...
RyanHazuki
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: Ryo's Accessories

Postby Centrale » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am

In one of the Kickstarter updates, we got a glimpse of the notebook.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 am

I don't recall that one.
RyanHazuki

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 am

Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Cool. That covers that part. Things may also still change. I still wonder how he'll keep time. It kinda depends on whether Timex will be involved or not, but it wouldn't be great advertising for them to use a watch from so long ago.
RyanHazuki

Postby starscream178 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am

Moving over to a cell phone would be a slap in the face to every backer that wanted the real Shenmue experience.

Why change something that is not broken?
starscream178
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am

Why would he have a cell phone? The game takes place in 1987.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:56 am

The instances you've mentioned are more product placement/easter eggs that don't really detract from the game. The phone would do. Dramatically. It'd also render the "phone card" thing pointless.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ChiefNeo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Sorry but suggesting Ryo use a smart phone has got to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard. Are you sure you played the original games?
ChiefNeo

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm

I didn't say I was in favor of it. And I have played the games, smartass.
RyanHazuki

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:23 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: The instances you've mentioned are more product placement/easter eggs that don't really detract from the game. The phone would do. Dramatically. It'd also render the "phone card" thing pointless.

The product placement idea doesn't pertain to Joy's bike. The Honda brand was not promoted in the game. Only a motorcycle enthusiast would be able to identify that bike. Yu is a huge motorcycle enthusiast, so I understand including such a great bike from the era of the game's production.

And as for the phone, I didn't say it would be a good idea. Dumber things have been added to games. Pagers were very popular in the 80's... would you be sour if that was a part of the game?
RyanHazuki

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm

ChiefNeo wrote: Sorry but suggesting Ryo use a smart phone has got to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard. Are you sure you played the original games?

I remember there was someone who was adamant that the virtua fighter games should be in shenmue and it wouldn't be weird.

i think it's weird that people would even want that. Why not just go play virtua fighter, or Yakuza?

same goes for the cell phone thing. you could just play GTA if that's what you want.

as for the guy that's asking about cell phones and pagers, you do realize that China hadn't yet fully transitioned out of communism in the 80's right?

anyway, if you haven't played the games, don't take it personally if people seem a bit obnoxious. a lot of people who played the game are pretty passionate about it, and your suggestion sounds ridiculous to people that understand the games, and their settings. nothing personal though, and I hope you do get around to checking out Shenmue one way or another.

just don't make a mod where Ryo has an iPhone :mrgreen:

RyanHazuki wrote: Cool. That covers that part. Things may also still change. I still wonder how he'll keep time. It kinda depends on whether Timex will be involved or not, but it wouldn't be great advertising for them to use a watch from so long ago.

actually it would be great advertising for them, just as it was when the original games were released.

if anything it would work better now, because vintage 80s and 90s products are really popular because of nostalgia. so brands that have vintage products benefit from their placement.

also, the actual watch in the game never existed but it was based on an 80s Timex. I'm pretty sure Timex will be on board this time. If they're not, it isn't going to ruin the game. But I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't license their brand again.
Last edited by shenmue852 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:10 pm

shenmue852 wrote:
ChiefNeo wrote: Sorry but suggesting Ryo use a smart phone has got to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard. Are you sure you played the original games?

I remember there was someone who was adamant that the virtua fighter games should be in shenmue and it wouldn't be weird.

i think it's weird that people would even want that. Why not just go play virtua fighter, or Yakuza?

same goes for the cell phone thing. you could just play GTA if that's what you want.

as for the guy that's asking about cell phones and pagers, you do realize that China hadn't yet fully transitioned out of communism in the 80's right?

This will be the third time... I never said I was in favor of cell phones! And as for Chinese communism, Ryo is from Japan, so the majority of his belongings would be from Japan as well... where technological advances were outstanding in the 80s.
RyanHazuki

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 pm

a cell phone from Japan would be useless in rural China!

in any case they were expensive, and somewhat pointless to have because there weren't many cell towers even somewhere like Japan, and 99% of people you'd call were using land lines anyway. a pager would be equally useless in Shenmue III. And Ryo definitely couldn't afford the price of a 1980s cell phone anyway. he couldn't afford a ticket to Hong Kong, he had to lift crates to make money during his travels. and that would be if he even needed a cellphone which he doesn't. even if he could use one in Guilin, which he can't!

anyway, i get that you're not saying it would be a good idea.

the broader topic is interesting though- what accessories will he have?

i think that in Shenmue III, anything he acquires is going to be lo-tech. and that's cool.

the one confirmed new accessory is new clothes. the green Chinese suit.

and horse riding. though a horse isn't an accessory.

i hadn't realized Joy rode an unbranded Honda. do you know what bike Ryo's friend lends him in the first game?
Last edited by shenmue852 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm aware. But Ryo bringing things that have no place in rural China could very well be a thing. It's a video game... realism is considered, but not rigidly adhered to. Haven't you played the games?! Ha.
RyanHazuki

Next

Return to Shenmue III