phpBB [video]

ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

Postby Telekill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 am

Short but another great look.

The second character shown is actually cute. Makes me realize the modelers are capable of making cute characters. Hopefully Shenhua turns out equally as cute as she appeared in the first two games.

Telekill has received 2 thanks from: Elevensixty, VukBZ2005
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 am

Holy freaking smokes, that is some really stunning modelling/motion capture! It's beyond anything that I thought was possible without having to invest in mocap studios or further staff/tooling to develop convincing expressions. The character art looks great too.

(Also his commentary was hilarious hahaha)

I forgot about the whole backer survey, I assumed those plans naturally changed when the publisher deal was signed/delay occurred. Overall Ys.net very much seem knee-deep in development right now, keep it up!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby johnvivant » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:51 am

facials look great. nice decision to address many peoples main concern from teaser.

wonder if that girl at end is major character, her higher quality model might suggest so.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:57 am

This update came unexpeted. The animations still feels slightly too mechanical but it's already on a very good level.
And the details on the face of the old lady are really remarkable.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:58 am

FlagshipFighter wrote:I forgot about the whole backer survey, I assumed those plans naturally changed when the publisher deal was signed/delay occurred.

Do you mean the PS4 or PC version survey? I haven't backed the game yet, but I'm going to back the slacker backer thing when i know for sure that there will be a UK version, because if there's any DLC I won't be able to use it on a US version with a UK PS4.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 am

The facial animations remind me very much of the Passport character demonstrations. What they've shown here will get a lot of shit for not being up to the quality of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's, for example, but they are very Shenmue-ish, and that I will take quite happily :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:15 am

Very cool update! When I first watched it, It kinda had a joke feel to it lol almost like they were saying "WE HAD REMOVED FACIAL ANIMATIONS IN THE GAMESCOM DEMO" :P. Good way to back that up, and to point out that it is a work in progress.

Also, strange that they put the video (and the link) on youtube, as they normally put it on the Shenmue.Link site. Maybe they want us to spread it around lol.

Very happy, and nice to see the range of characters between the Grandma and the second lady. Cannot wait to see more!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 am

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:I forgot about the whole backer survey, I assumed those plans naturally changed when the publisher deal was signed/delay occurred.

Do you mean the PS4 or PC version survey? I haven't backed the game yet, but I'm going to back the slacker backer thing when i know for sure that there will be a UK version, because if there's any DLC I won't be able to use it on a US version with a UK PS4.
We were meant to receive a more finalised survey that solidified all the shipping info.

I'm from the UK too and at the time of the kickstarter I had neither a capable PC nor a PS4, but I chose the PS4 physical edition (thankfully, as I must've sussed out back then I would go with the cheapest entry point of the two platforms + I enjoy trophies for the games that I like) but I don't actually plan to play the physical version when it arrives.

Instead I intend to get the digital version through PSN and several physical copies via a local store. Shipping is complicated so I won't expect them to reliably ship the game AND for it to arrive on time region to region.

I do wonder if they started early with the rewards or are planning to focus on them post launch? Often kickstarters focus on these afterwards as they don't want to devote attention and resources away from the main product while it's still being produced, which is very understandable but considering the scope of this kickstarter, AJ (and I believe another company I forgot the name to) could be handling merch etc right now in time for launch.

Otherwise, I'm sure they would release the correct regional version of the game for backers but at this point I'd just wait to preorder the game from your favourite outlet closer to the time of release just so you can make sure :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby KidMarine » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:43 am

The second model they show looks significantly better than the first, I guess it's a more advanced model.

Edit- Now I've changed my mind, the first model is more advanced. The close up look at 13 seconds or so looks good, a lot of detail and nice skin texture. The hair is clearly a place holder though, too shiny and clips through the side of her face a bit.
Last edited by KidMarine on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Elevensixty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:55 am

Hate to be critical but, hmm..prefer they said something like "a peek at what we're working on".
The blip of content was fine, but not technically impressive enough to be much of a "progresd report".
The presentation is very weak. 9/10 of fans could have done it more justice.
Showing us Suzuki drinking coffee and talking or sketches or something to build hype, with a couple facial animations would do S3 more justice.
Reason I complain is, non-hardcore fans are going to be terribly critical of this sort of update. The first thing I thought was (guilty confession here) *snide comment*: "guess we couldn't afford animators so we got dental assistants"- and an hour later people had actually said it.

Rant over, it looks ok.. and WE'RE GETTING CLOSER TO SHENMUE 3!

Elevensixty has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Yokosuka
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby BlackHeaven » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:05 am

Anyone interested in what the subtitles say in 0:11 ?? I am curious :D
BlackHeaven
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby KidMarine » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:09 am

Elevensixty wrote: "guess we couldn't afford animators so we got dental assistants"

I don't get it?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 am

The old woman model looks pretty good, although I first thought it was a man with default hair.
The young woman reminds me a FFXV NPC and that's not a compliment. Her face design clearly lacks of singularity despite her high-end shape.

Not impressed by the facial animation but with proper context, it's going to be fine.

I think what we've just seen is pretty close to the final version.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:31 am

I've made my feelings on the whole "faces and trailer" issue perfectly clear, but credit to em for responding to the criticisms in the right way.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: KidMarine
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Next

Return to Shenmue III