S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:10 am

Your Boy Leroy wrote: ^ Thank you.

I get it. Shenmue I and II were cutting edge when they came out. Shenmue III probably won't be. It only exists in the form it exists because no one wanted to take a chance on it and the fans had to push it over the finish line. Now the fans are turning their backs on the team and crying about every little piece of information the team shares with us. It's distressing and counterproductive, and I hope Ys Net doesn't spend much time reacting to the feedback that's all over the internet (I doubt they are).

If you can't accept the fact that Shenmue III isn't a game with a $100-million budget and that it's still deep in development, just give up. There's no hope for you.

I, on the other hand, can't wait to play it. Maybe it's not the game I dreamed of, but I'm sure it'll be close. It's certainly better than a game that would've never existed.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 am

It's just a test video showing off some work in progress facial animations. Why are people crying about this? It is in no way, shape or form indicative of the final product so why are some idiots treating it like that? Damn, gamers are a freaking whiny bunch.

Shenmue_Legend has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Marcelinho
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote: It's just a test video showing off some work in progress facial animations. Why are people crying about this? It is in no way, shape or form indicative of the final product so why are some idiots treating it like that? Damn, gamers are a freaking whiny bunch.

Technophilz decided the game is shit the day after the Kickstarter ended and just wants to spread misery on the forum. I don't have a problem with criticism...I think I'm one of the more critical people on the forum, but he seems to thrive on bashing the game and Yu Suzuki.

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: Marcelinho, Shenmue_Legend
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spardahunter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 am

Technophilz wrote: What's shown in the very short (less than a minute) video is even below last gen standards, many many last gen titles (e.g. The Last of US and L.A. Noire) are light years ahead of this, no wonder they preferred to show lifeless faces in the Gamescom teaser. Oh, and I think the new (much worse) logo is here to stay for good so we'll have to live with it ...

"How did you guys like it?" he asks in the end of the video ... it's really painful to say I didn't like it at all, and with every new "progress" update my expectations for S3 keep sinking down ...

if any of the kiddos working on S3 project is here: I hope you watch this and learn how modern games are being made...

phpBB [video]

I fucking love you man,you appear only when a new progress video is live and you always bury this game,you are my hero :heart:
Spardahunter
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:23 am

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote: It's just a test video showing off some work in progress facial animations. Why are people crying about this? It is in no way, shape or form indicative of the final product so why are some idiots treating it like that? Damn, gamers are a freaking whiny bunch.

Technophilz decided the game is shit the day after the Kickstarter ended and just wants to spread misery on the forum. I don't have a problem with criticism...I think I'm one of the more critical people on the forum, but he seems to thrive on bashing the game and Yu Suzuki.

He shows up whenever a new update drops and lets rip, then clears off until the next one arrives. Rinse and repeat.
I don't think I ever remember him posting anything positive to balance things out.

Sonoshee has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:24 am

The fact that they are still working on facial animations at this point in development tells me that Shenmue 3 is at a minimum a year away. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see this game slip into a Q1 release.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 am

mjq jazz bar wrote:

I get it. Shenmue I and II were cutting edge when they came out. Shenmue III probably won't be. It only exists in the form it exists because no one wanted to take a chance on it and the fans had to push it over the finish line. Now the fans are turning their backs on the team and crying about every little piece of information the team shares with us. It's distressing and counterproductive, and I hope Ys Net doesn't spend much time reacting to the feedback that's all over the internet (I doubt they are).

If you can't accept the fact that Shenmue III isn't a game with a $100-million budget and that it's still deep in development, just give up. There's no hope for you.

I, on the other hand, can't wait to play it. Maybe it's not the game I dreamed of, but I'm sure it'll be close. It's certainly better than a game that would've never existed.

It is distressing. Just a few years ago, Shenmue III didn't exist. Now it does. Then many were questioning the game's development because YS Net wasn't showing anything. Now they are, and people are STILL complaining.

I get it too. Blind fanboy-faith won't get anyone anywhere. But it just seems that many are really just LOOKING for a reason to hate on a game that has a fraction of the budget that the previous games in the series did, and is still clearly in development. It's like they're judging a book before it's even been fucking written, let alone its cover. People will find a reason to hate on anything if they try hard enough.

I for one have been really happy with the development so far. If this game was scheduled to be released next month, then I'd be worried. But since it still has like, more than a year to go, then it's all good.

Your Boy Leroy has received 3 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 am

Your Boy Leroy wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:

It is distressing. Just a few years ago, Shenmue III didn't exist. Now it does. Then many were questioning the game's development because YS Net wasn't showing anything. Now they are, and people are STILL complaining.

I get it too. Blind fanboy-faith won't get anyone anywhere. But it just seems that many are really just LOOKING for a reason to hate on a game that has a fraction of the budget that the previous games in the series did, and is still clearly in development. It's like they're judging a book before it's even been fucking written, let alone its cover. People will find a reason to hate on anything if they try hard enough.

I for one have been really happy with the development so far. If this game was scheduled to be released next month, then I'd be worried. But since it still has like, more than a year to go, then it's all good.

Exactly right! Shenmue III is still heavily in development. There's at least a year left before it releases and yet there are morons that treat it like it's coming out next month or even tomorrow! On a side note, I loved seeing the grandma and the woman. It gave me chills and a nostalgic vibe because they reminded me of people you'd see in some badass kung fu movies. Seeing things like this always reminds me that Shenmue III is gonna be AWESOME!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:13 am

Your Boy Leroy wrote:
I get it too. Blind fanboy-faith won't get anyone anywhere.

I may end lynched for what I'm going to say, but I don't agree on that. Not fully at least.

I personally think that, as the Shenmue fanbase, we should be a little bit fanboys.

There is more than enough people jumping on every single occasion to bash Shenmue or Yu Suzuki for many various reasons. There is more than enough people wanting Shenmue to fail for many various reasons.

I don't say we need to be blinded by our passion for the Shenmue Series but we need to be united and put things in perspective when a mere 53 seconds video update for Kickstarter backers is enough to see wagons of people use it to bash Shenmue 3 or insult Yu Suzuki's talent.

it's a crowdfunded project, we get to see steps of the development we usually never see. I can agree that the communication around the project is not good, but that doesn't mean that the game won't be good in the end.

What good can come out from joining the chorus of critics? What good can come out from telling to YsNet and Yu Suzuki that they are bad at making a game? That the artistic direction is wrong, the Ryo model is off, etc...?
They know what they are doing and are doing the best they can anyway.
Just think of the Deep Silver partnership: Suzuki San always knew he would need more budget to achieve what he has in mind for Shenmue 3 so he managed to increase the budget. For a man who never gave up on his dream to continue the Shenmue story, the least we can do is to keep our faith in him.

Until Shenmue 3 is released, the best attitude the Shenmue fan base can adopt is to be supportive of the development team efforts.

Now, let the lynching begin.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:25 am

No, no. You're exactly right about that. By blind fanboy faith, I meant when your faith leads you to thinking irrationally and ignoring things that are painfully obvious. Nothing wrong with a little faith as long as it's informed.

Your Boy Leroy has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, Kiske
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: God of War

Postby shredingskin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 am

Your Boy Leroy wrote: No, no. You're exactly right about that. By blind fanboy faith, I meant when your faith leads you to thinking irrationally and ignoring things that are painfully obvious. Nothing wrong with a little faith as long as it's informed.

Even if you hate everything they showed, and the end result ends up being a mess, it's just better to have faith than live 1 year sour.

The wheels are already in motion, it's not like people are gonna go "X guys doesn't like it, let's throw away everything and accomodate their tastes".

At most the moment of being critical will be in the closed beta, and at that moment most of the job will just be performance, polishing and some mechanic tweaks (if they actually care about feedback).

shredingskin has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, Your Boy Leroy
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:15 pm

I think it's ok to be critical and that it's also ok to be extremely optimistic at this stage. Technophilz was just unintelligently attacking everything and acting like there was no way in hell the game would turn out ok.

mjq jazz bar has received 4 thanks from: Elevensixty, KidMarine, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Esppiral » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Looking good!
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Elevensixty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Amount of time I've spent worrying about S3 facial animations: none

How worried am I now: not at all

What do I worry about: getting 1&2, 3 doing well, demand and support for 4 and on.

How many people am I going to share this update with: none.

One thing I'll mention- the logo..
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby VukBZ2005 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:34 pm

I'm impressed. I just don't get why some people are trying to make negative reactions to this. If you looked at the characters shown in the progress report, it's clear as day that their facial expressions were animation tests.

If they're tests, then it should be understood that the actual flow would be a lot better. Why do some people act as if Mr. Suzuki & his team don't know what they're doing?
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III