Mario Odyssey

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Mario Odyssey

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Worth buying a Switch for? Last Nintendo console I had was the Gamecube and I did not do much with it. Really thinking of getting the Switch but find it hard to justify the purchase because of the high cost, especially in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox One
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:05 pm

King John Blaze wrote: Worth buying a Switch for? Last Nintendo console I had was the Gamecube and I did not do much with it. Really thinking of getting the Switch but find it hard to justify the purchase because of the high cost, especially in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox One

Personally I'm going to wait for some more titles to come out before buying it. By then the price of the console should have gone down too.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonikku » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 pm

King John Blaze wrote: Worth buying a Switch for? Last Nintendo console I had was the Gamecube and I did not do much with it. Really thinking of getting the Switch but find it hard to justify the purchase because of the high cost, especially in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox One

It depends. You're right about one thing, you're definitely going to be paying the Nintendo tax if you take the plunge. Big name titles on PS4 or Xbone could go from $60 to $20 in just a couple of months, but when Mario and Zelda come out on a Nintendo Platform they debut at $60 and stay there. There is also the question of memory. I get physical releases from Best Buy for the GCU discount, but if you buy digital you're going to have to invest in an additional memory card.

You'll also want a carry bag for your Switch ($10-20) a glass screen protector ($8). While those purchases are pretty much mandatory, you will also at least feel inclined to invest in a portable battery pack ($25+) and a USB C Cable and AC that you can take with you in your bag and charge on the go. ($35) It all definitely adds up.

On the plus side if you haven't owned a Nintendo system since Gamecube, that Wii U titles like Mario Kart and Breath of the Wild will be fresh for you and are must haves. Mario Odyssey is as well, with Xenoblade Chronicles slated for next month and this is just the first year of release. It definitely has the games, but you'll be paying for the privileged of playing them, make no mistake. If you're on the move a lot and the portable nature of the system could really benefit you, I think it's worth it. If it's just going to sit docked at home all the time and you're not going to have friends over regularly to play Mario Kart and Smash Bros. however, you could possibly pass.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: King John Blaze
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks for the response. Best memories were with the N64, playing Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Star Fox and Super Mario 64. Don't have much if any gamer friends so this is likely going to be a single player experience. I just want it for Mario and the odd occasion people are over to play Mrario Kart.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Axm » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 am

Im enjoying the hell out of it with my wife. Lovely game.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:49 pm

I now own a Switch.

I'm a weak man.

Riku Rose has received 4 thanks from: elfshadowreaper, punkmanced, Sonikku, south carmain
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:48 pm

You get the Mario bundle?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby punkmanced » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 pm

I thought about getting a Switch myself. That was before I looked at the games that were out.
There’s basically jack and shit happening right now.

I then checked for backwards compatibility, hoping I’d get to add some Wii-U games to the mix.
That turned out to be a waste of time.

Honestly, fuck this system right now. I’ll check again in a couple of years, when it isn’t just a $400+ Mario & Zelda playing device.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:34 am

^I know what you mean as I felt the same way, pretty much everything I like the look of is already on other systems and the portable factor isn’t important to me. But now that I have one games I wasn’t fussed about like the Rabbids game is something I might pick up cheap. I might finally go back and play Xenoblade so I can jump into the 2nd one.

Sonikku wrote: You get the Mario bundle?

Nah I was able to get it cheaper by buying everything seperatly. Got Odyssey and Mario Kart with it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Coromasta » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:44 am

south carmain wrote: doesn't it also work with the pro controller?

It does, plays super smooth.

Coromasta has received a thanks from: south carmain
Coromasta
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 am

^There are certain moves with the cap that you can only do with the two joy cons detached as they involve waggle. If you could do them with the Pro controller I’d run out and buy one straight away as I hate the two joy cons detached control scheme. They’re far too small for my hands and I struggle to move the camera without almost having it slide out my hand like a bar of soap in a prison shower. But this is the way they’ve built it, it even says when you load up the game that you can use the Pro controller but they advise against it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 am

I’m like you Riku. I enjoyed the Galaxy games but I missed having a hub world from 64 and Sunshine. So the Galaxy games weren’t my favorites. I went into Odyssey expecting to like it ok but I’ve having a blast so far. Being able to explore each level rather than having a set path like in both Galaxys is a joy.

I only have around 60-80 moons so far. But if it really only takes 12-15 hours to beat that’s going to be a disappointment. Can’t remember how long the others took but they seem like they took 20-30 hours at least. That surely means the majority of the game is padding. I’m surprised that isn’t counted against it in the reviews.

Anyone know how many levels there are in Odyssey?

EDIT

I’m also playing with the joycon adapter. The separate joycons just don’t feel right.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Coromasta » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:53 am

Riku Rose wrote: ^There are certain moves with the cap that you can only do with the two joy cons detached as they involve waggle. If you could do them with the Pro controller I’d run out and buy one straight away as I hate the two joy cons detached control scheme. They’re far too small for my hands and I struggle to move the camera without almost having it slide out my hand like a bar of soap in a prison shower. But this is the way they’ve built it, it even says when you load up the game that you can use the Pro controller but they advise against it.

If you mean flickin the cap upwards, low to the ground and in a circle you can still do this with the pro controller(it has motion controls too), it's just a bit awkward with flickin the controller to use certain moves but it centainly works.
Coromasta

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta

Postby Sonikku » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Coromasta
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Coromasta wrote:
south carmain wrote: doesn't it also work with the pro controller?

It does, plays super smooth.

I know this is completely off-topic but after seeing your profile pic, that is the best Ryo Hazuki. I wasn't sure before but now it is clear. I really hope he looks like that in Shenmue III!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming