Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:07 pm

I still hate that we live in a world where Silent Hills was going to be a thing but won’t anymore. I’m excited to see what Death Stranding will become but I can’t say I’m eager to play it. Are we expecting this to be a giant cutscene with a one-button QTE to classify it as a video game?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:38 pm

^They've never said it's a QTE game so no idea why you would think that, they've confirmed it's a thid person game.

OL wrote: Is it weird that I kind of don't even necessarily want to know what's going on?
Watching all these trailers for it, the big appealing aspect is the surrealism of it all. And surrealism tends to remain most interesting when it isn't explicitly explained, when you have to figure out your own analysis of it. David Lynch's artsier projects are a good example of that.
I'm fucking fascinated by all the stuff we've seen so far, but I can't help but get the feeling that it probably won't be as compelling once we're actually playing it, and everything is being explained in completely certain, concrete terms (because let's face it, that's Kojima's writing style; he overexplains all the time).
Still weird that we haven't seen a lick of gameplay though.

Ever since Hideo Kojima's new game, Death Stranding, was announced at E3 last year, many have been wondering what type of the game it is and what all the weirdness is all about. We still don't know. But today at PlayStation Experience, PS4 boss Mark Cenry confirmed that the game is already playable and everything will make sense...eventually.

Cerny said he has played 4-5 hours of the game, noting that the story--or parts of it--will make sense after getting this far. It was also confirmed during the keynote that what you saw in the newest, strangest-yet trailer for Death Stranding was captured on PlayStation 4 Pro. Additionally, Kojima confirmed that the sequence in the new trailer where Norman Reedus' character is underwater is playable right now internally.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/death ... 0-6455532/
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm the only one that this teaser killed part of the hype ?

I think it'll be a great game, Kojima is just genius, but I was really bored while looking at it, I thought it was even generic, but with some baby.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

I think it looked cool personally. but I can't get hyped for a game that I have no idea what it will be like.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Riku Rose wrote: ^They've never said it's a QTE game so no idea why you would think that, they've confirmed it's a thid person game.

It was a joke.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:34 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: I still hate that we live in a world where Silent Hills was going to be a thing but won’t anymore.

It's much easier if you accept the conspiracy theory that Kojima never really planned to do Silent Hills, and that PT was a sort of resignation letter to Konami, announcing his departure from them in cryptic, artistic form. It sounds crazy at first, but it's pretty interesting when you really look into the details.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:55 pm

I really just think Death Stranding is Silent Hills, probably in everything but name. So unless you're really attached to the Silent Hill brand for some reason, It's probably what you wanted in the first place. So enough lamenting over the "loss", and enjoy what's been gained--a free Hideo Kojima.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Thief wrote: I really just think Death Stranding is Silent Hills

It is. (Skip to 1:35:54 if the timestamp doesn't work)

phpBB [video]
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sand4fish » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Gameplay and tidbits of lore explained by Kojima in an IGN interview...

phpBB [video]

So on the mechanics... FPS (at least in one aspect of the mechanics), continuous game play even after death, new weather pattern that affects environment/characters (timefall) and probable multiplayer features as seen in games like the Souls series and Journey.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 am

Kojima recently spoke to Dengeki:

Hideo Kojima: “Development on Death Stranding is going well enough that SIE told us, ‘We have never before seen a game being created at such a fast pace.’ We are planning an announcement that will further surprise everyone in 2018.”
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Previous

Return to General Gaming