Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Postby KidMarine » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 am

In one of the images we got of Choubu a few months ago, didn't the sign above one of the stores say "this store needs a name" or something like that in Japanese? Couldn't the sign in this image be a placeholder too?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

Oh, is that so? I think I missed that.
It could be, then.
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shmoozip » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
Sappharad wrote: First of all, I think the screenshot looks great. Their choice of outsourcing to Lakshya is fine with me.
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:This does make me think, though... Not only does that temple, which does have Chinese architecture, have Japanese writing (albeit in kanji), and seems to be dedicated to a Japanese custom, but that girl does indeed seem to be dressed as a Shinto shrine assistant...
I mentioned here in the forums before how Shenmue 2's street and shop signs would use some Japanese kanji variants not used in China, and that I hoped that Yu Suzuki would be more meticulous in that regard, in Shenmue 3. Now, we're already seeing a temple with Japanese words, Chinese architecture and a Shinto assistant... This isn't encouraging, but best to wait until we see more. Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe there will be a good explanation for this.

Is it possible the Japanese is for localization purposes, similar to why some signs also had English on them in Shenmue 1 & 2? At least, that seems reasonable to me. Perhaps it would be something they could change with an actual Chinese localization if they do more than just translate subtitles?

I wouldn't be surprised if the temple person was Japanese too. I mean, Izumi was also Japanese so why not add more random Japanese people in there?

I was just thinking, she could indeed be Japanese. Not only that, but what if that's actually a Shinto shrine? It doesn't look like one, but many mosques in China, for instance, have Chinese traditional architecture and don't really stand out from any other traditional-style constructions, until you go inside and see all the Islamic art, Arabic writing and prayer halls.
The thing is, there has been a sizeable Islamic community in China for hundreds of years (most notably, the Hui and, more recently, the Uyghurs), but I've never heard of Japanese people in China (that do exist, obviously) feeling the need for Shinto shrines. Shintoism is uniquely Japanese and doesn't really exist anywhere else, as far as I know, so the only people who would feel the need for a Shinto shrine would be the Japanese.
Now, I've travelled a lot around China, from the biggest cities to the most remote places and never have I've seen a Shinto shrine there. I just did a quick (definitely not thorough) Baidu search and, apparently, the only Shinto shrines built in China were built during the Japanese occupation, during the Second World War. Pretty much all of them (or even all of them) have been demolished or converted into something else. It goes without saying that such shrines didn't exactly bring happy memories to the Chinese.The area around Guilin was indeed occupied by the Japanese, but I don't really see a fully-functioning, happy-feeling Shinto shrine existing there in 1987.
So, when all's said and done, I doubt that's a Shinto shrine, but who knows? It's a videogame, liberties are always taken.

As for that sign being done for localization purposes, that's always a possibility, but I think it's unlikely. I mean, Shenmue 1 and 2 did have some English signage, because there is English signage in Japan, what with English being today's "international language", plus, it gives out an exotic, hip feel to things (for the Japanese). Still, most things in the game are written in Japanese, just like real Japanese streets. As for Hong Kong in Shenmue 2, the presence of English writing is only natural, what with it being a British colony.
Again, I just feel that they are being careless, unfortunately. I mean, there really was no reason for them to use Japanese kanji variants in Hong Kong street signs, yet they were there.
I've said this before, in a game famous for its attention to detail, this kind of stuff becomes immersion-breaking, not to mention that it's very odd that they got careless in such a visible aspect of the game, when, for instance, they actually went to the trouble of getting real-world weather data for Yokosuka, among other things.
Anyway, let's wait and see. It's too early to jump into conclusions regarding Shenmue 3.

Changing the subject, that temple's setting kinda reminds me of Black Dragon Pool (黑龙潭) in Yunnan Province's Lijiang, in southwest China:

nice view

shmoozip has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby sutoji » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:18 pm

what are your predictions for the new dev room report? I think near christmas next week.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Lakshya is also currently providing art support for Rare's Sea of Thieves.
WildManofBorneo

Postby shmoozip » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:35 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote: Lakshya is also currently providing art support for Rare's Sea of Thieves.

People are so racist when it comes to overseas countries. Look at their achievements in several games. Big games. Still we see some whine over nothing.
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 pm

shmoozip wrote:
WildManofBorneo wrote: Lakshya is also currently providing art support for Rare's Sea of Thieves.

People are so racist when it comes to overseas countries. Look at their achievements in several games. Big games. Still we see some whine over nothing.

Who is whining?

WildManofBorneo has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
WildManofBorneo

Postby Abraham_1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Off-topic, but that game looks fun as hell!
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby rdk_nl » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:20 am

Do like this Lakshya girl. :heart:

rdk_nl

Postby shmoozip » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:05 am

rdk_nl wrote: Do like this Lakshya girl. :heart:

Marry her
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby shmoozip » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 am

WildManofBorneo wrote:
shmoozip wrote:

Who is whining?

Go check kickstarter board
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby BigTuna » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:03 pm

This is some awesome news. I’m definitely optimistic given this teams track record. Hopefully we’ll get one last big update at the end of the month to close out the year.
BigTuna

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby life_247 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
WildManofBorneo wrote: The fact that a 3rd party company has been brought in just now signals to me two things:

A) There has been a recent injection of cashflow, affording the extra manpower.
B) This game isn't seeing the light of day before 2019.

They saw that most people weren't happy with the quality of the character models and decided to invest in it after the deep silver partnership.

And this is what separates Yu Suzuki and his team from modern developers. They genuinely want to create the best game possible for the fans and they listen to their feedback. Unlike today, where most of them are only concerned with how much money they can make so the quality of the game isn't even their main priority, it's all about the money.

#-o Oh dear - I think that is mostly due to AAA games cost more than Shenmue did back in the day and the cost of entry hasn't increased much (games are still £50/$60 - hence all the DLC etc.). If you dont concentrate on the money you dont have a job pretty quickly! (Because the game doesn't sell well and consequently the studio closes).

If you want the classic gaming risks and creativity get into the Indie Games scene, like a lot of the stuff on PSN.
life_247

Postby Esppiral » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 pm

sutoji wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
sutoji wrote: Apparently Ryo is hiding in the background of the picture with the new model, don't know if that is true can anyone spot him?

EDIT: He's at the back to the right behind the building doing what looks like Martial arts training. Someone should like draw a circle round him, I'm not on PC

Wow, you got great eyes! I mean, I still can't find him so good job!

Zoom in to the right, behind the building Ryo is doing a punch. It looks really tiny you can tell by the brown jacket.
right next to the blue wall

Are you joking? I don't see it.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:25 pm

I cannot see Ryo in this picture. He can't be there. There's a lantern that people could think is his jacket? I cannot see Ryo. When I spot him I will circle him.

Edit: *if

Edit 2: there's also a part of the wood that could look like Ryo throwing a punch, but that's a stretch. Between the woman and the building on the right.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III