Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshots

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshot

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 am

Rikitatsu wrote:

Skin tone color has nothing to do with the actual model mesh by the way, either they used a different shader or it's just a flattering screenshot with the right lighting. I'm betting on the former.

Here's a picture comparison with slight edits to bloom/shaders.

I dunno, to me, even with facial expressions the model itself seems different.

Bonus:

ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am

The new model is astoundingly better, even to my wife who doesn't share my love of a series she never knew, but was understanding of it enough to allow a sizeable backer donation. She thinks it is as good as you'd see in many other games, which I would agree with.

People that expect a higher poly count Dreamcast model put on their #11 shade Nostalgia goggles. Commendable, but it's not what to expect.

Yeah, it looks different, but I'm far happier with this result thus far. It is also worth speaking of the fact that these screens *could* be a month or two old and improvements will continue, probably all the way until release.

I still don't believe we will see a true representation of a recent WIP via a trailer until E3. 5-6 months is an enormous chunk of development time, which is why I think things will go fairly quiet until June. I'd love to see a small trailer at Monaco, just to see facial animations, but we'll see.

The questions I'd like to see most answered by February are these:

1.) Who is the publisher for Japan and are they contributing any funds or development help(I seem to recall them saying a Japanese publisher hadn't been found)?

2.) What is the status on Pledge Tier Upgrades? I'm most interested in upping my pledge, especially seeing this progress and I'm sure others are as well.

3.) With the uptick in funding from investors and Deep Silver, what will be in the final game that wasn't initially planned to? Will the combat system be fully fleshed out seeing as we're close to that via Slacker Backer funds alone? Will the last village be expanded as well?

4.) Are there any AM2 developers who have since joined the team we aren't aware of?

I'm beginning to think we won't see the game until Spring-Summer 2019, which I'm all right with as long as progress continues apace.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 am

Valascaziel wrote: The new model is astoundingly better, even to my wife who doesn't share my love of a series she never knew, but was understanding of it enough to allow a sizeable backer donation. She thinks it is as good as you'd see in many other games, which I would agree with.

I showed my brother the comparison jpeg between the 2015 Ryo and the new one. He disliked the Gamescom trailer and knows Ryo as he played Shenmue II - and enjoyed it. He said that Ryo is much better now although I felt he was not 100% convinced, still. I think because as you said, getting the DC Ryo back will be impossible.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 am

Yeah--I think it will be on par with some AA games in the end. We all know it won't match the likes of Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog, CD Projeckt Red and that's okay to me. It would take a huge team and even larger funds to get that, but that level of realism, to me, would be off-putting for Shenmue.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 pm

From what I have read in Twitter, it seems shenmue master was in the pre conference of magic Monaco and said that Cedric told that they are going to show a video of the gameplay, is that true??
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Centrale » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: From what I have read in Twitter, it seems shenmue master was in the pre conference of magic Monaco and said that Cedric told that they are going to show a video of the gameplay, is that true??

So far all I've heard is "images and gameplay details" ... no specific mention of a video of gameplay.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Shenmue Master was not there but Gameblog was. Gameplay footage has never been mentioned. Cedric talked about "details". So it might be everything.

edit: My bad, I missed the news. Shenmue Master was indeed there. Yep video confirmed.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm

From shenmuemaster.fr:
Pour finir, Cédric Biscay (également coproducteur de Shenmue III) nous a également indiqué que le MAGIC 2018 serait l'occasion de voir enfin le jeu "en mouvement" et que l'on pouvait s'attendre à voir beaucoup de contenu.

From the (very) little French I know, Cédric basically said that will finally see the game "in motion" and that we should expect "lots of content" (though I don't know if the "lots of content" thing refers to whatever video(s) they will show, or to Shenmue III's presence at the show, as a whole).

Definitely sounds exciting, but I'll try keeping my expectations in check. Just a few seconds of actual gameplay would make me happy, though.
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Esppiral » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm

It looks great, although I may be the only one that sees this image

and sees photohop all over it.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Esppiral wrote: It looks great, although I may be the only one that sees this image

Nope, I see it too. That was the first thought that crossed my mind, actually.
I really just wanna see the game in its final state (graphics-wise) and in motion once and for all. Until then, I'll hold my judgement on the game's visuals.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 pm

I just watched the Shenmue Master video. What's Cedric said:

"We'll unveil the new steps, images, mechanics, etc"
"I did play the game recently. It's a beautiful game. At Magic, we'll see the game in motion, as beautiful as the screens you're seeing"

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Personally I think we'll finally see clips of actual gameplay. Things like fighting prototype and mini-games. And MAYBE an example of the Rapport/Affinity system.

Also: tinfoil hat theory. A Shenmue OVA anime will be announced. 2 episodes. 22 mins.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Elevensixty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
Esppiral wrote: It looks great, although I may be the only one that sees this image

Nope, I see it too. That was the first thought that crossed my mind, actually.
I really just wanna see the game in its final state (graphics-wise) and in motion once and for all. Until then, I'll hold my judgement on the game's visuals.

Yeah its weird.
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby Elevensixty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Ryo's face is too small, hips too wide, and her nose is too long. The hands are too big.
Compare ryo's facial dimensions relative to Shenhua's, considering he's farther away.

Ryo's face looks like it was photoshopped into the image.

That said, I still love the progress and have 100% confidence in the game! Can't wait
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby adom11800 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm

The game does look beautiful and I'd settle for Ryo looking like that in Shenmue III, Shenhua is looking better but it's hard to see what they both really look like from the angle. Ryo almost looks different in every image anyway. I can already see Ryo and Shenhua looking different in video but those new images really are 'Shenmue 3'. What we should have expected for how the game looks after all these years. A modern Ryo and Shenhua I guess you could say.
adom11800

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III