Shenmue Gaiden: A Christmas Story

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue Gaiden: A Christmas Story

Postby ShenSun » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Hey Shenmue community,

Today, i bring you the latest instalment from the Shenmue Gaiden series. This chapter was suppose to be released during the Christmas holiday. However, personal commitments along with my job didn't allow me to finish the project on time. :(

I decided to still release the game however as the alternative would be to wait until Christmas 2018. Fortunately, this is the year of Shenmue, so hopefully, this is the first game of many to come out in 2018

If you enjoyed the first Shenmue Gaiden Christmas game, chances are you're going love this one. I really wanted this game to over deliver in terms of value. Therefore, it has a ton of fighting, tons of character interactions, tons of cameo/random appearances, toy capsules, tomato stores and much more.

Play time is around 2 hours and 30 minutes. There's alot of story and text in this game. I recommend everyone take breaks in between days, especially if you're not use to reading so much text. (I took several breaks personally lol). Alternatively, use the save function and come back to it later.

Keep in mind, this game is very light-hearted and fun game and is not suppose to be taken seriously at all. You'll probably realise this once you see the cameos and how events play out. Sit back, enjoy and have a great time.

The festive season is finally upon us and you've been invited to spend the next four days in Dobuita at Hazuki residence. This enjoyment doesn't last long however as Christmas is thrown into complete chaos. Scrooge is back and is now in possession of two important Shenmue items. He also has an army of fighters at his disposal. It's up to you and Santa to recruit a team of capable individuals to confront Scrooge and save Christmas once and for all

A new threat lurks in the shadows and is said to be the strongest fighter of them all.

There is a 3rd threat in the game other than Scrooge and his henchman. This threat promises to destroy Christmas once and for all.

Like the last game, YOU are the player. Once you arrive in Dobuita, the game will ask you to enter your name. From that point on, all NPCS and character will refer to you by your actual name.

I strongly recommend you enter your proper name here or whatever nickname you like to be called in real life. By doing so, the game will feel much more personal as you interact with the characters and progress through the story.

Dynamic Choices

The previous Shenmue Gaiden entry had choices in its dialog. However, the responses were very similar regardless of what you chose. This new entry has around 80% choice variation in its responses. That means you can play through the game entirely as a nice guy or bad guy or somewhere in between. This should hopefully spice things up and make replay ability more enjoyable.

The game also features Toy Capsule machines, access to the Yokosuka Harbour and access to a limit number of stores.

Toy Capsule Machines

Yokosuka Harbour

Lapis Fortune Teller

Tomato Store

How To Play

--The game is played by simply clicking the mouse on the screen once a character finishes speaking
--Choose from the various choices to affect the game's direction.
-- Left click continues
-- Right click opens up the option menu
--- Play in fullscreen for desired effect

How To Install The Game

1) First install the Arlrdbd font. Download here http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html
Unzip font

Windows XP Font Install:
Drag arlrdbd.ttf into C:\Windows\Fonts - The font will automatically install.

- Windows 7/Vista/Windows 10 Font Install:
Right click arlrdbd.ttf and then click "Install".

2)Download the game using the link below.

3) Extract file and open the main file (.exe file)

4) Enjoy

Bugs / Glitches
Due to a limited amount of time, i was unable to address all the bugs and glitches in the game. I'll fix them with a patch down the road. In the mean time, you may run into the following issues.

Sound Issues - At certain points of the game, the sound will lower or get higher. If this happens, raise the volume on your speaker or adjust the sound in the options menu (right click). Tends to happen on the 4th day.

Menus - Some menu buttons are not functioning as they should. Will be updated at a later date.
I've managed to find good consistent results with the game using the following settings.

Adjust how you see fit.

SCREEN RESOLUTION (VERY IMPORTANT)
This game was created with a screen resolution of 1920 width and 1080 height. The game should look like the following screen shot. If it looks stretch or out of place, you may have to adjust you monitor's screen resolution. You can do this by right clicking on the desktop and pressing screen resolution. (Set resolution to 1920 * 1080).

Good Resolution

Bad Resolution

Do not skip transitions or click at a fast pace due to impatience. The game has a deliberate pace. At some points you may think the game is hanging or taking long to load. If this happens, an event is about to occur. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Also play in full screen.

Other issues

I need to clean up some of the portraits, adjust the voice clips to sound more consistent and not super loud.

I also left some save files in the game. Dont load them if you have not already finished the game
If you come across any other issues, please let me know

Patches / Fixes

i'll be applying various patches over the coming weeks to address the sound issues. I also want to try and shorten some segments as some parts of the game can drag on. More voice clips will also be added.

Here we go people. This is my LATE Christmas present to you all. I hope you find some joy and fun in this game. I had a blast exploring my imagination and creating it. Here's to an amazing Shenmue year for all of us..

DOWNLOAD

Windows
http://bit.ly/2G7IUd9

Mac
http://bit.ly/2Heg9wv

Linux
http://bit.ly/2o34t8b

Please note: The game was built on a Windows PC.

Let me know what you think and post any bugs or issues you encounter.

Thanks alot and have a wonderful new year.

Best wishes

ShenSun has received 7 thanks from: DrakePain, DreamcastPast, Jibby, KiBa, Mr357, Sonoshee, Switch
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue Gaiden: A Christmas Story

Postby Switch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:40 pm

I've been looking forward to this! Thank you ShenSun!

Switch has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, ShenSun
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Congrats Shensun! \:D/ Huge achievement and massively proud of ya! :bow: Thank you so much for doing this! And at 2hrs 30mins :O It's insanity, I can't believe I'm going to be spoiled with so much hearty-Shenmue goodness! I'm going to savour this one for sure, genuinely can't wait! Well done indeed! :D

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: ShenSun
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenSun » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks alot guys, really appreciate it. Be sure to let me know what you think once you've finished it.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:42 pm

After December passed I began to worry about whether or not we'd get to play this. I'm glad you finished it up! I really enjoyed the last one you made.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenSun » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 am

Thanks Mr357. This one is much better than the first game, so im sure you'll have a good time with it. There were several times i thought about putting it on hold, but i just couldn't break my Christmas promise to you all.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DreamcastPast » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks ShenSun, enjoyed your last offering and am looking forward to playing this!

DreamcastPast has received a thanks from: ShenSun
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby KiBa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm

I will try this using WINE...

KiBa has received a thanks from: ShenSun
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenSun » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks Kiba and Dreamcastpast. I hope you enjoy it.

Kiba, i might be able to build a mac version of the game. I'll look into it later tonight and upload it to the first post if successful.

Edit:

I managed to build the game for mac. I have no way of testing it as im on a Windows PC, but there were no errors or issues when compiling it, so it should run fine.

Mac Version
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jibby » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:59 am

ShenSun, this was incredible!
I absolutely adored how silly and quirky it was. Heaps of fun, and incredibly well put together too. I can tell that a lot of love went into making this.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to play whatever you come up with next!

Jibby has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KiBa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:57 am

ShenSun wrote: Thanks Kiba and Dreamcastpast. I hope you enjoy it.

Kiba, i might be able to build a mac version of the game. I'll look into it later tonight and upload it to the first post if successful.

Edit:

I managed to build the game for mac. I have no way of testing it as im on a Windows PC, but there were no errors or issues when compiling it, so it should run fine.

Mac Version

That is so kind of you to take the time, my Shen-brother. Cross-compatibility is awesome. But actually, I was going to test it on my Linux box via Wine tonight. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac handy to try this new build.

KiBa has received a thanks from: ShenSun
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenSun » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks Jibby. Glad you enjoyed it.

Oddly enough, I created a linux version when I built the mac file. It's all in the OP.

Enjoy ppl.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:21 pm

There will be a few patches being released for this game over the coming weeks to address some of the slight issues some users are facing. Enjoy.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Community Projects