Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshots

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshot

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:It's either that or they still don't have anything "in motion" to present publicly...

Unless Biscay is the ultimate troll, they do have. Both of us know that the "publicly" has no sense since the Gamescom event and the terrible Kickstarter update that came after. They don't care of showing blatant unfinished work as long as they can notify the fans of the production progress. Showing Ryo walking in Choubu over 10 seconds plus the extended trailer was not that complicated, was it?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:11 pm

My fav bit of the trailer:

Too bad I don't know how to make gifs. There's a lot of good little sequences there (turtle, arcade, npcs, night market, ryo combat pose).

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: iyapol
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:24 pm

It's good to see new stuff, just feel a little misled by the "gameplay footage" comments, since QTEs are basically an interactive movie.
But cool "new" stuff, hopefully they'll improve the animations, they look very rough in some instances.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Tosh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Deep Silver didnt say anything about the whole Magic Monaco thing. No Tweets, no Facebook post. All they do
is promoting Kingdom Come Deliverance right now. So i doubt
that they have anything to do with what was shown at Magic Monaco.

Deep Silver came on board of the "promotion train" for KCD like 3 months before the actual release date
and even in the trailers they are just mentioned in the last "buy now" screen
which is separate from the rest.
It seems like Warhorse were able to just do their own thing. So again, i doubt that Deep Silver
has much to do with Shenmue 3 right now because the release date is probably like 8, 9, 10+ months away.

Why would they forbid a new trailer or gameplay but allow a old trailer with old character models.
That doesnt make any sense from the viewpoint of a publisher
and in the case of KCD they just acted as a "helping distributor" out of the background.

So my guess is that right now Deep Silver doesnt really care
and Yu is just showing something for the hardcore fans and thats it. The real promotion stuff is months away.
Just my thoughts.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

WildManofBorneo has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:It's either that or they still don't have anything "in motion" to present publicly...

Unless Biscay is the ultimate troll, they do have. Both of us know that the "publicly" has no sense since the Gamescom event and the terrible Kickstarter update that came after. They don't care of showing blatant unfinished work as long as they can notify the fans of the production progress. Showing Ryo walking in Choubu over 10 seconds plus the extended trailer was not that complicated, was it?

I'm gonna pull a no comment regarding Cedric being a troll :lol: I think he's just doing his job as a cheerleader for the project.

Getting a bunch small cut scenes glued together and pics of the forearms man isn't hard. Actual in engine open world gameplay with AI scripts, path finding, character movement animations, voice acting, background music, etc. is a bit harder...
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Is it supposed to be "Kawaii" for the Japanese when a muscle head do a cat-like style stance with his hands while fighting?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Some quick thoughts on Deep Silver's funding of Kingdom Come Deliverance and Shenmue 3...

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Kickstarter Funds (USD): $1,814,448.00
Paypal Funds (USD): $188,099.00
Total Crowd Funding (USD): $2,002,547

Total Game Development Cost (USD): $6,000,000

(TDGC) $6,000,000 - (TCF) $2,002,547 = Publisher Balance
Publisher Balance = $3,997,453

Essentially Deep Silver had provided Warhorse Studios with 2/3 of the required funding . This afforded the game a 4 year development period with a team size of approximately 80 staff.

It'll be interesting to see what they provide Shenmue, considering that the amount raised from crowd funding is substantially larger than Kingdom Come.
WildManofBorneo

Postby SledgeNE » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:58 am

What i wish for the future: Please, no more trolling pictures or tweets from producers. But it nothing changed my love to Shenmue-Series. I like the extended teaser. The scenes looks awesome.
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:21 am

The way development seems to advance from the outside, they might need a "What's Shenmue?" demo again for the general public to reintroduce the series before the game is finally released.
I was thinking, maybe the fans now feel what Sega went through ;-) Shenmue I development also had some issues due to how the project size and budget were sometimes handled.

What bothers me is that things still feel a bit "off". They already got one delay so I assumed that it was carefully calculated and expected therefore more progress at this point. I also wonder if Cedric is really up to date. Last year he firmly confirmed a late 2017 release when someone asked and a bit later the delay was announced.

sand4fish wrote: Is it supposed to be "Kawaii" for the Japanese when a muscle head do a cat-like style stance with his hands while fighting?

I assumed that it was Praying Mantis style.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 am

Speaking about "new footage" weeks and months before the event and then showing the uncut Gamescom 2017 trailer and putting the old logo in the "Crazy Time" presentation, knowing very well, the majority of fans dislike the new logo does indeed seem like Cedric is taking the piss.

Not to mention Yu lost like half a week of working time on S3 to travel halfway around the globe for quite a pointless interview.

On another note: I thought of Praying Mantis style too, when seeing Mr Muscles' pose there. But from what Yu said this guy uses several martial arts styles. With Chai based on Lion Rafale this is already the second enemy in S3 who knows Praying Mantis Kung Fu.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:59 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
It's either that or they still don't have anything "in motion" to present publicly...

Personally I think it's unfair to start blaming everything on Deep Silver, when this lack of proper communication has been a usual trend a lot time before they came into the picture.

Well, to be fair, wasn't there an update towards the end of last year that basically said (or perhaps just implied) that with Deep Silver now being on board, that updates will now be more infrequent, as Deep Silver would be managing marketing?

If I was to speculate, Deep Silver are heavily invested and want to implement a level of damage control by not showing too much, too soon. The teaser trailer was widely ridiculed, which I don't know how Deep Silver would feel since it was supposed to have been done to announce their big deal...
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:12 am

The four new screens are nice, but they show no improvement on the screens we got mid January. We can see facial animation in the little girl, but Ryo's jaw is still stapled shut.

What's the deal with the logo? Both the original and Yu's were used at MAGIC - Yu's during the conference and the original during Crazy Time. I see the official Twitter account and the KS page are still using the papyrus logo.

Game development may be going in the right direction, albeit at the pace of a forklift truck, but the topsy-turvy PR needs sorting ASAP.

Cedric dangled a huge carrot on the lead up to MAGIC, and continued to dangle said carrot on the morning of the event. The decision to show the 'exclusive' extended teaser during Crazy Time was, for want of a better word, crazy!

I see Cedric has just tweeted the Shenmue fans thanking them for their attendance yesterday. He asks fans to look out for future updates. We're still waiting for a promised dev room update, aren't we?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Switch » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:23 am

Just put up a post about Yu's attendance at MAGIC (a summary rather than an analysis).
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/0 ... recap.html

Switch has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, SledgeNE
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby gillian_seed » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 am

Gosh...just watched again the extended cut. In that Title Champ minigame Ryo looks to be throwing random punchs to the air. Just look and compare to Shenmue 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3nCOLrzKAg
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III