Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 am

Time to watch Yuri on ICE then. (figure skating anime)
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:11 pm

OL wrote:So it's kind of weird, but watching the current Olympics has made me develop an extreme appreciation for figure skating. I've honestly never given a shit about the Olympics before; other people pretend to care, but it's always seemed awfully shallow to me that most only pay attention to any of these events once every four years, and tend to only care about their own country's participants. But whatever the case, somehow figure skating has sunken its claws into me. So much to the extent that I think it might actually develop into a major interest far outside of the Olympics themselves.
I've never taken an interest in any sports or athletic events before, but it occurs to me that this is one of the few that legitimately doubles as an art form, and that's appealing as hell. Some of the performances during the Olympics were actually beautiful enough to hit me in the same way a great piece of music might, where you get lost in how oddly mesmerizing it can be. If I were a younger man, I might have been inspired.
So yeah, never thought I'd say it, but I love this stuff.

It’s been nothing but Hanyu Hanyu Hanyu on TV here. Every station is all about him. Poor Uno-kun. He’s good too. Fernandez also an ace. Ya.. I like the figure skating too. Well maybe it’s more of a respect for the difficulty.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 am

Over here they kept trying to talk up the American team, but there just wasn't a ton to talk about after almost all of them flubbed a few things here and there (not to take anything away from them; it's a hard-as-fuck sport to begin with, so they're all talented as hell anyway, even if they were to finish last).
I know it's probably irritating when the "trendy" thing of the moment keeps getting airtime, but I have to say I'd have gladly taken more talk about Hanyu on tv here; at least the guy totally deserves it. Absolutely everything I saw of him (and have watched online) was downright exceptional. Dude's an artist through and through, rather than just someone grabbing at points.
It was kind of funny, it almost seemed like they were trying to talk him down on tv here ("Oh yeah, he's great, but Nathan Chen can do 15 quads in a single program, yadda yadda") , but once he actually performed, they had to shut the hell up and just recognize that he was better than anything the US had to offer. :lol:

Totally agree about Uno, though. He's been downplayed far too much. I've rewatched his free skate a few times online now, and I have to say it might have been my single favorite thing in the entire Olympics.
He falls once in the first 25 seconds, gets up like nothing happened, and continues on totally unfazed. When I mentioned how certain performances can become just so mesmerizing and absorbing, this is exactly what I was talking about; the second half of that program was obviously better than most of the guys, but I'd say it even put to shame most of the stuff done by the gold- and silver-winning Russian girls (who had a ton of hype surrounding them, and definitely delivered).
I'm not sure how things were portrayed in other countries, but watching it here, it was like Uno came out of absolutely nowhere. No talk about him beforehand, no hype. Total underdog kind of thing, and I loved watching it. It was like seeing Memento for the first time without knowing anything about it beforehand; mindblowing.

Sorry, I don't know how to be concise about anything anymore. :lol:

OL has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 pm

My parents were in America while the 2016 Olympics was on and my dad said that when he watched it on TV out there you wouldn’t have known any county other than America was competing. Here on the BBC they seemed more interested in Usain Bolt then any of the British runners.

It seems like when it comes to something competitive Americans only seem to care about how well ‘they’ do and not the competition itself. Football seems to have only got bigger there since the US have started doing better in the last few World Cup’s (Not this one lol). Rather then support their local MLS side they seem to support teams here in England just because they’re better or support a MLS side and an English side which shouldn’t be allowed and should result in the death penalty. I laugh at people from London who support Liverpool or Manchester United let alone someone from Arizona.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Thief » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:20 pm

i don't care at all about the Olympics personally, but it makes sense to root for your home team. It's not that people don't care about other athletes, but they want those representing their country to be the best. I'm pretty sure that holds true for just about every other country that competes. Television might cater to that need as a way to boost ratings, but I think it's unfair to assume that Americans don't care about other athletes. It's just hard to care too much because those people probably don't care about the sport at all to begin with. They're into the Olympics because they think they ought to be--but I bet those who are genuinely interested in certain events know, and care, about the best throughout the world, not just the US. This is why I don't ever watch the Super Bowl. I didn't care about football all year, I'm not about to pretend I care who wins now.

Nobody here cares about soccer though, and those who do are tryhards who really just wish they were English. They probably sit around drinking tea all day, watching their "football" and screaming blimey every so often.

Also, I'm from Arizona, you best be rootin' for us son.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:36 pm

Human beings are inherently tribal, so I understand the natural desire for one's "own" team to do well. But I think I've always been too... logical, I suppose, to really subscribe to any of that. The credit should wholly be given to the athletes themselves, not to the nebulous idea of where they're from. There's a weird contrast in the Olympics between the stated intention of the games ("...to bring the world together through sports" or something to that extent) and the actual result of everyone being "representatives" of their countries (which only serves to enforce a sense of divided nationalism in many people).
With figure skating, in particular, the participants are all part of a worldwide community of other skaters, their coaches are oftentimes from different countries than they are, and they all train in various countries around the world. The idea of anyone being a true athletic "representative" of their own nation is, when you get right down to it, kind of absurd, since their abilities are more often a result of exposure to the entire world. If we were all isolationists, I'd understand, but the world is too connected for it to be the case. I think it'd be nice if the athletes were free to simply represent themselves in the future, with no flag attached.
But again, our human sense of tribalism prevents that, so y'know... pointless opinion.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:40 pm

They are already free to do that OL. There is a team of independent athletes that competes at the olympics.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Well that's good to know then. Wish it were a more prevalent practice though.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 am

Is it wrong of me to actually want the underdogs to do good at least in the Olympics, like some how that will lower tensions a bit in the world or give people who seem to be shat on everyday a feeling of pride and accomplishment, like North Korea or something along those lines? Personally until breasts jumping or nude women's volleyball, parallel bars and diving become official Olympic sports, I could give two stones about it.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Women do have a paranormal sense of when someone is in a relationship, I'm not even talking smell or some physical shit, it does really belong in the paranormal.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby T-POH™ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:12 am

I don’t know what the fuck happened over the past 10 years, but the whole “woman” problem has gotten out of hand in a major way. You can’t even turn on the news without some female moaning about being abused in some way that really isn’t justified. What happened to the days of when they were put in their place?

If you think I am overexaggerating, take a look at the state of the country at the minute. Theresa May is our Prime Minister. Nichola Sturgeon is the leader of Scotland, and even though the pride and joy of our empire, Northern Ireland is in a shitbasket, their two main party leaders look like 2 broads taken right out of Eastenders. All arguing with each other. Moaning. Bitching. Not getting any sort of job done to get out of the hellhole that is Europe. All I can say is thank Christ Trump got in, if Hilary Clinton was in power this world would end. Always going on over the years about how they can do a good a job as men. Yea right, look at the fucking state of the country! Women being women.

Then theres the whole Weinstein bollocks. Not saying hes any saint, but really? A producer in Hollywood getting done for shagging women who were clearly defining the saying, “sleeping your way to the top”? Give me a fucking break. I bet Rosie wasn’t thinking about nothing else other than the main female lead in his next moviw when she was on her knees polishing off his knocker.
T-POH™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: in the mud with my sister

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 am

I got the job. In August I’ll be on a one way flight to Florida.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Mr357
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:49 am

^ That's awesome. All the best to your new life in the States.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:15 am

Riku Rose wrote: I got the job. In August I’ll be on a one way flight to Florida.

Congratulations!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Riku Rose wrote:I got the job. In August I’ll be on a one way flight to Florida.

Where in Florida?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic