MAGIC Interviews

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

MAGIC Interviews

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:52 pm

Found one that was just published.

Google Translate into English: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... agic-2018/

Original French: https://gamersflag.com/article/intervie ... agic-2018/

mjq jazz bar has received 4 thanks from: Hazuki00, Mr357, Sean9014, Your Boy Leroy
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Re: MAGIC Interviews

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:56 pm

mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Yu Suzuki : Le fait que nous ayons accès à de nouvelles technologies et techniques est une évolution qui amène un temps d’adaptation nécessaire pour maîtriser ces nouveaux outils. On ne sait pas si ce sera le cas, mais si nous nous lançons ensuite dans un Shenmue IV, ce temps d’adaptation n’existera pas.

While obvious, it's still nice to get some confirmation/ positive reinforcement regarding this one.
Should Shenmue 4 be financed, the development process will be smoother/more efficient, given that there will be no transition period involving the learning of new tools/ technologies.

GamersFlag : Nous savons que cela ne dépend pas entièrement de vous mais avez-vous eu des nouvelles de la part de Sega concernant un remaster HD de Shenmue et Shenmue II ?

Yu Suzuki : C’est quelque chose dont je ne peux pas parler, pour le moment.

This is the most interesting bit... Something has to be happening behind the scenes re: Shenmue HD...
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ianpm31 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Looking forward to the interview tomorrow. Hopefully we get some hints about the next time we get to see Shenmue 3 substantially.
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:04 pm

punkmanced wrote:Yu Suzuki : Le fait que nous ayons accès à de nouvelles technologies et techniques est une évolution qui amène un temps d’adaptation nécessaire pour maîtriser ces nouveaux outils. On ne sait pas si ce sera le cas, mais si nous nous lançons ensuite dans un Shenmue IV, ce temps d’adaptation n’existera pas.

While obvious, it's still nice to get some confirmation/ positive reinforcement regarding this one.
Should Shenmue 4 be financed, the development process will be smoother/more efficient, given that there will be no transition period involving the learning of new tools/ technologies.

GamersFlag : Nous savons que cela ne dépend pas entièrement de vous mais avez-vous eu des nouvelles de la part de Sega concernant un remaster HD de Shenmue et Shenmue II ?

Yu Suzuki : C’est quelque chose dont je ne peux pas parler, pour le moment.

This is the most interesting bit... Something has to be happening behind the scenes re: Shenmue HD...

Translation?
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:04 pm

He says Shenmue III ends on a cliffhanger and he intends to make sequels.

Regarding Shenmue remasters he says he’s not at liberty to talk about it at this moment, which seems to indicate such a thing exists—though we could be reading too much into the language used.

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: Niowiad, SheepheadCG
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby adom11800 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:50 am

We could be reading too much into it yeah but usually when he gets asked about Shenmue HD, he says something like 'Only Sega can answer that' or something similar. Like ianpm31 said, really hope the next interview we will get an answer of when we will next see Shenmue III.

He did say he wants to show us soon as possible so GDC? [-o<

I guess maybe you can't always be too positive though...
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Valascaziel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:04 am

It's the first time, unless its incorrectly translated, that hes said something like that regarding Shenmue HD. At this point, it is probably a safe bet to assume the collection is real, just waiting to show it at the right time.

He also remarked how much the scale of the game has increased, so perhaps Deep Silver's donation was larger than we thought or THQ Nordic is going to end up supplementing as well to ensure another solid AA title in their lineup, after Kingdom Come was a pretty large success.

What gets me is his comment that the game is in a far more advanced state than we saw at MAGIC 2018. Well, why haven't we seen it? We have only seen a few screens thus far. Lots of disappointed fans in the MAGIC showing, though by and large we liked the vibe it presented.

The only logical answer to be had is they want to have a proper reunveiling of the game at a larger trade show such as E3 to reach and rekindle a larger audience, as MAGIC is a very low-key event not watched by many or followed outside of the hardcore fans.

Even so, I hearken back to my previous thread and say it has now become absolutely crucial that Shenmue 3 makes a splash at E3 or Gamescom at the latest. Even so, I feel a release of 2018 is far less likely now than before.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby spud1897 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 am

I agree with you. There has to be a significant showing at E3 or Gamescom. E3 would be the one to really hit the home run with new up to date footage.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby japalp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 am

I'm not sure E3 is the right place as it would likely be overwhelmed by all the other AAA games footage. Yu Suzuki himself has said that this is not a AAA title, so I think it would be better served and would likely get more coverage if they did a large unveiling at a smaller event with less other games making an appearance. Each year, there seems to be more game events available that could pose more opportunities.

I understand that Shenmue 3 was "born" at E3, but I fear it's impact would be lessened at such a large show.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby adom11800 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:08 am

I agree, it might get overshadowed or fans would loose patience. Why is it always about E3 anyway? I know it's probably the most known and best gaming event ever but I feel it's way too harsh to make us wait another 3+ months to see what the game finally really looks like. I'm hoping for a huge trailer at E3 but gameplay before hand. Otherwise I can't see the game being out this year which is a bummer.
adom11800

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:25 am

http://www.gameblog.fr/dossier_1128_she ... switch-yu-

Key bits (in English):

Can you tell us how it is new and different? In terms of handling for example.

I can not give you too many details for the moment, but I can tell you that there will be books to learn techniques. Recovering these books will teach new attacks. The game will always offer real-time battles, but it's a system that is more geared towards narration. There is more fighting issues focusing on timing and that require pressing a button at a specific time. Unlike a classic Beat'em All, the Shenmue fights will benefit from a staging close to what can be found in the cinema. They will have that unique touch that only a Shenmue game can have and that the fans will surely recognize. You can use some old techniques and make some combos, but it will not be as difficult as in Virtua Fighter.

At the latest news, Shenmue III is scheduled for 2018. Do you think this is an achievable goal? Is it good for this year?

Yu: I'll try my best to make that happen.

Seems like it's hard to get a straight answer out of him, unfortunately. I suppose it's for the best.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 am

mjq jazz bar wrote:

I can not give you too many details for the moment, but I can tell you that there will be books to learn techniques. Recovering these books will teach new attacks. The game will always offer real-time battles, but it's a system that is more geared towards narration. There is more fighting issues focusing on timing and that require pressing a button at a specific time. Unlike a classic Beat'em All, the Shenmue fights will benefit from a staging close to what can be found in the cinema. They will have that unique touch that only a Shenmue game can have and that the fans will surely recognize. You can use some old techniques and make some combos, but it will not be as difficult as in Virtua Fighter.

I'll wait for a proper French translation of this. I wonder what geared towards narration means exactly.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 am

My guess: he wants it to be more cinematic. I'm imagining Shenmue following in Yakuza's footsteps with the 'heat' moves.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby adom11800 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:51 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:

I'll wait for a proper French translation of this. I wonder what geared towards narration means exactly.

Very much looking forward to that, guess we'll have to be patient for when the whole interview is in English. I'm pleased what he has said about the battle system! I was a bit worried but now infact it sounds really good. My only worry is it might be too easy but different can be hard as well.
adom11800

Next

Return to Shenmue III