MAGIC Interviews

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: MAGIC Interviews

Postby SheepheadCG » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 am

New combat system sounds awesome! He has hinted at this fluid/cinematic combat a few times and I am so excited to see it in action. No game has really captured what I feel he is describing and I'm sure we are going to be in for a treat!

These interviews have been great so far, some great questions with some very intriguing answers!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby adom11800 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 am

^ Indeed! Cinematic battles just sound even better! Good interviews. Happy bunny right now.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby 7heavens » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 pm

I like the fact that he's being original. He's most proud of the originality of shenmue 3. This has me really excited and hyped. Hopefully it can carve out a new niche genre and stand out from the rest of the games released this year and the next.
7heavens

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby KidMarine » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Valascaziel wrote:He also remarked how much the scale of the game has increased

Valascaziel wrote:What gets me is his comment that the game is in a far more advanced state than we saw at MAGIC 2018.

Am I missing something? Where did he say either of these things?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby punkmanced » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:

I can not give you too many details for the moment, but I can tell you that there will be books to learn techniques. Recovering these books will teach new attacks. The game will always offer real-time battles, but it's a system that is more geared towards narration. There is more fighting issues focusing on timing and that require pressing a button at a specific time. Unlike a classic Beat'em All, the Shenmue fights will benefit from a staging close to what can be found in the cinema. They will have that unique touch that only a Shenmue game can have and that the fans will surely recognize. You can use some old techniques and make some combos, but it will not be as difficult as in Virtua Fighter.

I'll wait for a proper French translation of this. I wonder what geared towards narration means exactly.

Seems like they could be moving away from complex/traditional fighting system mechanics in favor of some cutscene type of BS. (I mean, what else could he mean by 'cinematic'?)

Obviously we won't know until we play it, but...yeah... not sure how I feel about his description.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:32 pm

KidMarine wrote:

Valascaziel wrote:What gets me is his comment that the game is in a far more advanced state than we saw at MAGIC 2018.

He doesn't mention the scale at all (unless I also missed something), but does mention that the extended trailer doesn't reflect where they are today.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:34 pm

My interpretation of the "geared towards narration" part is that if the story would benefit from a particular event occurring during battle that can't be supported through normal combat controls (like leaping off a balcony and swinging on a rope to scoop Shenhua out of danger), then he'll use a QTE to incorporate it somehow, rather than let the limitations of standard gameplay hinder storytelling during action scenes. What we're used to seeing in Shenmue, basically.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby shredingskin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Basically what we know about combat is:
-fewer moves, more cinematic, IK movement for punches, more puzzlelike, the height/obstacles will play a part.
Is that kinda right ?

So far I'm guessing more of a arkham type of combat, with qtes to select the correct type of moves in certain situations (or finishing moves).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 pm

shredingskin wrote:-fewer moves

Did you mean fewer "inputs"?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby south carmain » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:18 pm

shredingskin wrote: Basically what we know about combat is:
-fewer moves, more cinematic, IK movement for punches, more puzzlelike, the height/obstacles will play a part.
Is that kinda right ?

So far I'm guessing more of a arkham type of combat, with qtes to select the correct type of moves in certain situations (or finishing moves).

I hope not. I find the arkham type of combat incredibly boring and repetitive.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:35 pm

It’s hard to really tell what he means. I’m imagining something pretty similar to the fights in Yakuza. Perhaps special combos trigger a QRE sequence.

He always seemed pretty interested in providing an accessible experience to everyone, even when the original games were being developed. I don’t think you get to be as “great” as Suzuki without following your instinct, so I hope this is just another example of his instinct being right.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:20 am

south carmain wrote:
Is that kinda right ?

Same here.

I remember them early on saying the new FREE battle system will be a mix of FREE battle and QTEs. So yeah, I'm gonna expect a shit-ton of QTEs which in hindsight sounds just as bad as an Arkham style combat. Especially if the QTEs are accompanied by this 'slo mo' effect we've seen in the extended trailer.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby b_ren » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:38 am

south carmain wrote:
Is that kinda right ?

Not only boring and repetitive but absolutely terrible. It takes no skill on that game just absolute button mashing, not even in the same league as the VF engine in my opinion.

The fighting engine is the only thing that I'm sort of concerned about in Shenmue III. I understand it's not possible to make anything like the VF engine for Shenmue III but hopefully there is some sort of skill involved with the fighting engine.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:50 pm

KidMarine wrote:

"We can not do anything about it because people do not know how production is going. For example, what you saw today [ NdR: the extended trailer of Gamescom 2017, which we add below ] is different from where we are today. [In the context of MAGIC 2018 ] this trailer was an opportunity to promote the game. "

Source: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ic-2018%2F

Found on the ResetEra thread. I'm not just talking out of my ass, unless this was all mistranslated.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Centrale
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III