I prefer Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 1.

(Chapters 3-6)

I prefer Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 1.

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:42 pm

The world in the first game felt quite small to me, albeit more detailed compared to the second. I enjoyed the characters in 2 more, Ren being my favourite. Maybe now that I've beat the second game a couple of times I would enjoy the first one more. And of course, we couldn't have 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5 or however many in the future) without the first.

Don't hate me, but I played the Xbox version and i loved it. I know people talk about the voice acting and not being able to carry your save over. But I don't mind that stuff. And the voice acting has a certain charm to it, in my opinion.
Last edited by BlueCreeperBoy12 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: I prefer Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 1.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Totally agree. Also helps that I started the series with IIx. A lot more fast-paced, better environments, better characters. And the all important 'Wait' function!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Jibby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Whilst it does lack that cosy, familiar feel (something I feel was an intentional decision), Shenmue II is definitely the better game to me. It improves on every aspect of the first game and really kicks the story into gear.

And if I'm being honest, I'm not even sure that the world in Shenmue II has any less detail than Shenmue I's world; every corner is absolutely packed with little touches.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: Totally agree. Also helps that I started the series with IIx. A lot more fast-paced, better environments, better characters. And the all important 'Wait' function!

Also the ability to save anywhere.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Jibby wrote: Whilst it does lack that cosy, familiar feel (something I feel was an intentional decision), Shenmue II is definitely the better game to me. It improves on every aspect of the first game and really kicks the story into gear.

And if I'm being honest, I'm not even sure that the world in Shenmue II has any less detail than Shenmue I's world; every corner is absolutely packed with little touches.

I haven't looked at the first game's world in much detail, as i only played it once. I just heard from others that it was less detailed from others on the dojo.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby Jibby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 pm

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:
I haven't looked at the first game's world in much detail, as i only played it once. I just heard from others that it was less detailed from others on the dojo.

Ah, I see.
Personally, I'd say Shenmue II's detail is on par with Shenmue I's, just on a larger scale.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:
Jibby wrote: Whilst it does lack that cosy, familiar feel (something I feel was an intentional decision), Shenmue II is definitely the better game to me. It improves on every aspect of the first game and really kicks the story into gear.

The world is equally as detailed (hell, even more in some wayss), the thing that is less detailed is the worldbuilding/npcs, in SI you can ask almost everyone about your current goal and they'll have specific lines, even when you have some free time you can have random talks with most of them, getting to know them and so on. In SII most of the NPCs are set decorations/tour guides, and there's a lot less interaction with them (there are some random NPCs with specific dialogue, but not many, and not evolving as in the original).

Also it seems that the world is more detailed because you have a lot of free time, and in some ways you have to "investigate more" on a more confined area, so you'll basically know every place like the palm of your hand, in SII I doubt most of the players would visit even half of the places it has (not even counting the random rooms).

I think that SII is a better game, specially by today standards, I don't think I could play a game that basically says to me "hey wait 30 minutes of real time", there's more to do, it's a lot bigger, and expands over the original in almost every aspect, and also adds a lot.

I do still prefer the orignal because of it's atmosphere, it feels like a detective noir in some ways (and SII like a kung fu movie), the world seemed more drab and the story more realistic, the bad people seem actually threatening in the way neither Ren or dou niu felt, and I think the ending of the third disk of Shenmue was better than the whole yellowhead climax.
Also the story felt a lot more personal, the relationships with friends, with Nozomi, Ine-san, it's the type of stuff that I appreciate more.

So there's that.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Niowiad » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Very different. I also tend to prefer the 2nd game.

The first one felt like a more intimate and somewhat "real life" experience.
The second game goes full "adventure mode", everything felt more "movie-like" to me.

As I said, I overall preferred playing Shenmue2, but I can totally understand anyone preferring the 1st one though, being probably a more unique and original concept.
Niowiad

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:17 pm

It's been really interesting seeing all of these different points. I don't know why, but I was expecting everyone to just attack me and say that S1 was better.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby Jibby » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:29 am

I think the general consensus amongst Shenmue fans is that the 2nd game is better. I’ve not seen many who prefer the first one.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:52 am

Shenmue II is the superior game, without debate, but I prefer the original (much like how I prefer the original Mass Effect, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Metal Gear Solid over their superior sequels). The former is a shining example of identifying and addressing the shortcomings of its predecessor, and blending the improvements seamlessly into the 'bigger and better' formula typically seen with sequels.

The lack of moves training is a step back, and a rather questionable design choice, but I guess FREE Battles and street fights act as a replacement, somewhat.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Kyo_JP
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 am

I'm in agreement with ShenGCH. Objectively, Shenmue II may be an improvement with a larger landscape and play area but my heart lies with the first for its atmosphere and detailed depiction of life in a small Japanese town.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Niowiad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:11 am

ShenGCH wrote:The lack of moves training is a step back, and a rather questionable design choice, but I guess FREE Battles and street fights act as a replacement, somewhat.

Agreed. With the combat system being quite refined, it makes the fighting parts more enjoyable if you actually practiced rather than just going randomly mashing buttons or doing Elbow Assault loops :king:

Not sure how they thought of implementing the whole thing in S3.
Niowiad

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 pm

I find most Shenmue fans prefer the second game like Jibby said. And the ones that like the first game better is mostly due to the game being set in Japan. Said that I rate the original to be the best one yet, personally and objectively.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ChiYuanHa » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:01 am

I think it's quite disrespectful to rate one better than the other. To me, they're both masterpieces and that's all that matters.
ChiYuanHa
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue II