Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: I actually think Shenmue 3 looks good, so not contesting anything you said, but wasn't Hellblade made on a really small budget?

Shredingskin more or less said it for me, but the limited scale of Hellblade allowed Ninja Theory to pour as much time and money into their central character as they did.

Even at the AAA level I'm not sure we've seen large casts of unique NPCs made with photogrammetry. Maybe a couple generations down the line, in GTA 8 or something.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Took a look at Corey Marshall's Facebook (inspired by a backer on Kickstarter) and saw that he says he's supposed to start recording his lines at the end of May.

*still pretty dismayed they're spending time and money on an English dub, but hey...it's news! After playing many, many hours of Yakuza 0, I can say that I have not missed the English dub of Yakuza 1 at all (0 is my first Yakuza since Yakuza 1).

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby south carmain » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Took a look at Corey Marshall's Facebook (inspired by a backer on Kickstarter) and saw that he says he's supposed to start recording his lines at the end of May.

*still pretty dismayed they're spending time and money on an English dub, but hey...it's news! After playing many, many hours of Yakuza 0, I can say that I have not missed the English dub of Yakuza 1 at all (0 is my first Yakuza since Yakuza 1).

Or at least don't have it dubbed by Americans. British shenmue dub>American Shenmue dub
phpBB [video]

south carmain has received a thanks from: Niowiad
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Daisuke » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Took a look at Corey Marshall's Facebook (inspired by a backer on Kickstarter) and saw that he says he's supposed to start recording his lines at the end of May.

*MOD NOTE - BANNED FOR ADMITTING TO BAN EVASION*

Lol, I got banned again! Unfortunately, I accidentally saw your post so I have to get this off my chest. You may be dismayed by the inclusion of the English version but fans like me would be gutted if it wasn't. So you have to take into account the likes and preferences of others as well. If for example, Shenmue III was only going to be released in English and no Japanese then you wouldn't catch me saying "oh well, it sucked anyway so I don't care". I would instead be saying "while I prefer the English dub, I definitely feel for those that grew up with the Japanese one. It's a damn shame we couldn't have both".

Anyway rant over. And goodbye!

Daisuke has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Daisuke
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:45 pm

The real shenmue 3 trailer still hasn't surpassed the fake one in views.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Daisuke wrote:

Lol, I got banned again! Unfortunately, I accidentally saw your post so I have to get this off my chest. You may be dismayed by the inclusion of the English version but fans like me would be gutted if it wasn't. So you have to take into account the likes and preferences of others as well. If for example, Shenmue III was only going to be released in English and no Japanese then you wouldn't catch me saying "oh well, it sucked anyway so I don't care". I would instead be saying "while I prefer the English dub, I definitely feel for those that grew up with the Japanese one. It's a damn shame we couldn't have both".

Anyway rant over. And goodbye!
IMO, it's money that's better used elsewhere, especially when we consider the quality of the original dubs. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone; I played both Shenmue 1 and 2 in English, so I have no experience with the Japanese dub aside from watching other people play through the games. Either way, it's a fact I'll live with.

Am I supposed to know who you are?
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:56 pm

south carmain wrote:

Or at least don't have it dubbed by Americans. British shenmue dub>American Shenmue dub
phpBB [video]

What have you done? Cease this!
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm

south carmain wrote: The real shenmue 3 trailer still hasn't surpassed the fake one in views.

Which is the fake one ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 am

The Gamescom progress teaser on Playstation's channel is also currently at 930,000+ views. Is there really a fake one out there with more views?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 am

Possibly referring to this old fan-made trailer, a ripped copy of which has over a million views. It did take years to get there though.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby south carmain » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am

Yep that's the one.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:46 am

The little girl's face is quite... disturbing. Her art looks different from what we've seen so far. It does look Yakuza - or should I say Shenmue? The other ones were factually cartoonish since some 2D model sheets have been made public and the 3D artists trying to strictly replicate them. Or maybe I've a bias idea of what should be a cartonnish child?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 am

Ah yes, that trailer.

It's better than the actual one TBH
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Totally random thing here, but it just occurred to me: I really, really hope the dub for Shenmue III doesn't include a ton of "wink to the audience" nods to the old dubs. With as long as Shenmue has been around, it's had plenty of time to gain a reputation on phrases like "let's get sweaty," Ryo asking about sailors and whatnot, that kind of shit. I just really hope the English voice actors don't feel the need to call back to that stuff, like they think they're being clever or something. I hope the dub is played totally straight, just like the first two games were.

I'll probably opt for the Japanese track anyway (long as it's included), but I'd still prefer not to have anything groan-inducing like that from the English one.

OL has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Absolutely. Sailor jokes and the like can fuck off.

I suppose most of that would be in the hands of the translation and localisation team. I hope they resist the temptation to go for some easy memes.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III