The Silver Case Remake

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Silver Case Remake

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 am

So, The 25th Ward is coming out on March 13 in the West. Only about three weeks of waitng left!

https://store.nisamerica.com/the-25th-ward-the-silver-case-limited-edition-ps4-bundle
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KidMarine » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:47 pm

Anyone played it yet? I'm four cases in, I think I love it even more than the first Silver Case.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Fuck this would be amazing on the switch.

Well, just bought the full edition, do I have to play the extra DLC or refresh my memory of the 25 ward to start playing?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:24 pm

I really like the music and QOL improvements in this game. Story is even darker than the original too so far. Everyone's so fucked up in this game.

shredingskin wrote: Fuck this would be amazing on the switch.

Well, just bought the full edition, do I have to play the extra DLC or refresh my memory of the 25 ward to start playing?

The DLC episodes tie directly into The 25th Ward if you've not already played them. There's some heavy shit in Tokio's storyline. They're really short too.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 pm

I finally ordered both for PS4. The chip on my shoulder over how it was released finally fell off when I heard some of the friggin glorious music from The 25th Ward, and when I thought about how much I loved Flower, Sun, and Rain all those years ago, and how eager I used to be for The Silver Case to be localized.
So yeah, should finally be playing soon.
Question specifically for Henry (since he's the only one I know who seemed to love FSR as much as me): Does FSR actually relate to The Silver Case in any way? That's something I don't think I've ever been clear on.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 am

Various characters appear in FSR (is set in the future).
It's been a while since I've played FSR, I can't really recall any really meaningful conversation, but there may be.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sand4fish » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:41 am

OL wrote:Does FSR actually relate to The Silver Case in any way? That's something I don't think I've ever been clear on.

I've read from Suda that the games are loosely connected, that the stuff happening in FSR is only given context if you played The Silver Case. Though I have yet to touch The Silver Case, I completed FSR on the DS when it came out and it felt something was amiss in the story at the time. I think at some point a DS version of silver case was planned to be released but given the poor sales of FSR that got scratched.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:02 pm

OL wrote: I finally ordered both for PS4. The chip on my shoulder over how it was released finally fell off when I heard some of the friggin glorious music from The 25th Ward, and when I thought about how much I loved Flower, Sun, and Rain all those years ago, and how eager I used to be for The Silver Case to be localized.
So yeah, should finally be playing soon.
Question specifically for Henry (since he's the only one I know who seemed to love FSR as much as me): Does FSR actually relate to The Silver Case in any way? That's something I don't think I've ever been clear on.

Yes. The 25th Ward is set after FS&R.

FS&R is more of a spin off really. But the story does tie up with TSC, going into more detail would spoil the story. Some stuff happens in TSC that kinda...blew me away, as a fan of FS&R.

The prologue of TSC is directly linked to Moonlight Syndrome (another Suda game) as well, by the way. For even more confusion.

And yeah, the music in both games is amazing - Akira Yamaoka and Masafumi Takada both on fine form.

Still playing The 25th Ward, so can't really say anything specific about it yet.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:59 am

I bought it last week and have started playing. So far, I think it's a great game and I'm having a lot of fun but tbh, I think TSC did everything just a little bit better. The music was a little better, the atmosphere a little tighter, the story a little more gripping and the controls in the 25th Ward are even shittier than the already horrible controls in TSC. In TSC you could at least move on rails by d-pad. Now you have to click "move forward", "move left", "move right". I think that's because this was originally a mobile game.

But don't get me wrong, I still love the game and think it's briliant. The weird characters, the fantastic soundtrack, the fucked up Suda 51 feeling... It's all there! It makes me happy somebody actually bothered to bring a quirky as fuck niche game like this to the West. I'm still in "Correctnes, Chapter 04: Boys Don't Cry" right now.
How awesome are those hitmen fights? :D
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:29 am

Finished. I personally think the story/characters is a masterpiece and better than the original's. I do think the original has better atmosphere and music though.

The 100 Endings though...hahaha, they're all just plain nuts.

You can tell Suda really enjoyed writing all that.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:31 am

So yeah, I'm stuck and this is really weird.

In Matchmaker scenario, I can't open Chapter 3: About Nighthawk. It doesn't show up in the menu. I finished Chapter 2: Quiet Cradle, even have the Quiet Cradle trophy unlocked on my Playstation account, but when I go to Matchmaker and open the table of contents, I cannot see About Nighthawk. I finished Quiet Cradle and the screen where they say "The 25th Ward" came and at the bottom it said "About Nighthawk is coming soon", but it's not there.

Also in Correctness scenario, I finsished Whiteout and it said "Blackout is coming soon" but again there is no blackout chapter to be found on the table of contents for Correctness.

I checked a bunch of walkthrough videos on YT and checked for updates on the game but my system says I'm running the most current version of The 25th Ward. Is this some kind of bug?

So now, I've finished Placebo and got the message "Placebois over" but I can't move on in Correctness and especially Matchmaker. This really sucks.

Also, on Placebo's last chapter, Yuki, the game crashed on me two or three times and I sent a failure report to Sony with a screenshot and a video. That happened right at the opening scene of the chapter. Once I managed to get past that, it was stable again.

Currently replaying Quiet Cradle again, but damn it's annoying. There's tons of dialogue and I hate the dungeon part.

Can someone help me out, please? Am I missing something?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:38 am

Problem solved, oddly enough I was able to select "About Nighthawk" after finishing "Quiet Cradle" a second time. Really weird.

Still not able to see the omnious "Blackout" Chapter in Correctness though.

Anyway, I'm playing "About Nighthawk" now and loving it!
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 am

The correct order for playing is do chapter 1 of each and circle around each point that way, then do chapter 2 of each. You won't unlock Blackout until you beat all of the other chapters, since it's the final chapter or the "epilogue". I won't spoil the surprise!

Yeah the Matchmaker chapters are like a good Yakuza/crime drama.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:48 pm

^Yes, and I'd advise new players to play the Placebo chapters first as they are the most accessible and give you most information about what's actually going on in the 25th Ward. I'd say take Placebo as a starting point and always go clockwise or counter-clockwise from there, so it's either Placebo, Correctness, Matchmaker or Placebo, Matchmaker, Correctness.

Also, I think Correctness as a scenario was clearly outclassed by Matchmaker and Placebo. I mean Electride, Whiteout and Boys Don't Cry were superb but Prototype and New World Order were pretty weak compared to the rest of the game. Placebo is on a whole different level. It's all killer, no filler, as far as the chapters go writing-wise.

Just as in the Silver Case, Placebo was the better scenario than Transmitter, again Placebo just stands out. Every single chapter was sublime.

And Matchmaker is looking better than Correctness too, from what I've played so far. I mean Underground Shelter and Quiet Cradle were both brilliant and About Nighthawk is looking awesome so far.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 pm

I will say that I really liked Correctness the most, personally. I got a lot out of it as an old Suda fan, it has that
Flower, Sun & Rain chapter (Digital Man).

Which blew me away. I seriously do not even know what is going on with
Sumio
anymore. Just adds even more depths to his character. He can see other worlds? It is all in his mind? He is in purgatory? I don't know anymore.

The last chapter of Placebo might be my favourite of them all though. You'll see! It's such a huge tease!

I think Matchmaker's final chapter is bloody amazing as well, personally.

EDIT: You're right about Prototype and New World Order but I really, really like Shiro as a character. A lot. It's hard to say who my favourite protagonist is between them all but Tokio might be it.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming