Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Benwah » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:31 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:
phpBB [video]

August 28th!

Must be the quickest Japanese to English localisation turnaround so far since Kiwami 2 was announced for Japan late last year?

This is awesome news! I don't really keep up to date with gaming news so it was a very pleasant to see this.
Benwah
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: ThaiBenwah
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni 2

Postby OL » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:42 pm

The Yakuza 6 demo is up on PSN.
Played a little bit (while skipping all the cutscenes), and I gotta say, the new engine really is pretty impressive. Funny how something as small as a lack of loading screens between outdoor and indoor environments can shoot the atmosphere that much further through the roof. Makes the framerate a tiny bit wonky now and then, but it's still pretty nice.
Every time anyone mentioned Haruka though, it made me gag a bit. So maybe the demo wasn't quite enough to make me immediately start playing the series again, but all the same, loved the in-game atmosphere.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Benwah » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:09 am

If you have access to the Asian PSN the English version of Yakuza 6 is available to download. It seems it is only America and the EU that had it delayed until April.
Benwah
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: ThaiBenwah
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni 2

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:53 pm

It's been confirmed Kiwami 2 will retain the Japanese licensed music from Crazy Ken Band. The first time, I think since the original Yakuza 2, this has happened for the Western releases.

This was a big concern of mine when Kiwami 2 was announced. The music adds so much to dramatic scenes of this game.

What music you ask? This one!

phpBB [video]

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: OL, Truck_1_0_1_
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby DL30 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm

To the people that have played Yakuza 6:

Does it bring back the boss specific QTE heat finishers?(Like the "Feel the Heat" ones featured in Yakuza 4 and 5)

The fact that they were missing in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami was a major letdown.
DL30
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: It's been confirmed Kiwami 2 will retain the Japanese licensed music from Crazy Ken Band. The first time, I think since the original Yakuza 2, this has happened for the Western releases.

This was a big concern of mine when Kiwami 2 was announced. The music adds so much to dramatic scenes of this game.

What music you ask? This one!

phpBB [video]

REALLY???

As far as I know, Kiwami 2 doesn't feature any of CKB's music. It was all replaced with different licensed tracks. But good Lord, I really do hope this is true and those CKB tracks were re-added into Kiwami 2.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Announced on the official Yakuza stream today. Ten minutes in: https://youtu.be/07QNVtNdvsM

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 am

Great news! I hope they'll bring Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 to PS4 (and to the West) one day. Having all seven Yakuza main entries on one console would be unbelievable! \:D/
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby myshtuff » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:49 am

I pre-ordered the special edition of 6 when it was first announced. I can't wait to get all that awesome stuff that comes with it. I then pre-ordered kiwami 2 right when it went up on Amazon the other day. I really hope they do 3-5 and hell even Dead Souls. I need all of them on PS4!
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:08 am

Do you guys think SEGA might continue the Kiwami series in to 3?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am

south carmain wrote: Do you guys think SEGA might continue the Kiwami series in to 3?

I believe he's said in an interview before Sega want all main Yakuza games on PS4. https://www.dualshockers.com/sega-consi ... 3-4-and-5/

Personally, I'd really want at least a Kiwami 3. Yakuza 3 is where I started the serious and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, looking back in terms of localisation, it was not handled well. Missing sub-stories, missing hostess clubs, missing mini-games. And the god awful direct translation of "Kiryu-san" to "Kazuma".
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:27 am

Your Boy Leroy wrote:REALLY???

As far as I know, Kiwami 2 doesn't feature any of CKB's music. It was all replaced with different licensed tracks. But good Lord, I really do hope this is true and those CKB tracks were re-added into Kiwami 2.

Oh no! I think you're right. The licensed music only includes the new mixes by SiM. They replaced Crazy Ken Band. :mad:
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:31 am

So, after several years without playing any of these games (I played Yakuza 1, 2 and 3, and stopped after Yakuza 3, which was somewhat of a disappointment, not to mention they were all pretty much the same), I jumped back into the series and am now playing Yakuza 0, after one of my best friends talked me into it.
It's been great fun so far, and definitely the best Yakuza I've played (though, again, it's impossible to shake off the feeling that I've done all this before).
I've clocked 50 hours already and I'm still at Chapter 7. Now, I have to say that I'm 32 years old and I'm in a stage of my life where I increasingly feel like I just can't stomach ridiculously long games anymore, no matter how good they are. In fact, I honestly think I'm getting burned out on videogames, really, and I think that, in just a few years' time, I'll stop it altogether, or, at least, make it into a very secondary hobby.
What I mean by this is that, 50 hours into the game, even though I'm having a lot of fun with it, I'm starting to feel that I'm ready to just move on with the story and finish it. And, lo and behold, now I have that real estate and cabaret club thing, which, from the little that I have played so far, makes me feel like it will be a huge grind, which is exactly the kind of thing that I promised myself I'd never waste my time with again (I've always been somewhat of a completionist).

My question to the folks here who have played Yakuza 0 is, am I right in assuming that those side businesses will be a grind and, if they are, are they at least truly worth it?

Also, while I'm at it, I didn't really enjoy that Pocket Circuit thing, when I tried it. Does it have a nice sub-story, to make up for it, or is it just meh?
O Rei do Frango Assado

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Everything's a grind in Yakuza, that's why they put in substories so that you don't really notice it. Them being worth it is subjective I suppose, they're pretty fun and allow you to get filthy rich so that you can max out your characters.

south carmain has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:33 am

Yakuza Kenzan English fan translation in the works:

http://yakuzapatch.tumblr.com/

Please get completed!
[-o<