Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby vnisanian2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 pm

A few more thoughts I have (for now, at least):

Did Suzuki really say that Ryo would eventually abandon his quest for revenge against Lan Di?

Also, the biggest fear I have is that this game may end up a major disappointment, just like with Mighty No. 9.
vnisanian2001
Master of the Three Blades

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Yes he did and I doubt it will end up like mighty no. 9. Yu Suzuki hasn't started working on other projects during development and it appears that the delays are due to extra funding allowing the game to be bigger but that means longer to make. Maybe it won't be amazing (or maybe it will), but I doubt it will be mediocre. Then again I have very little to make these claims.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Mighty Number 9 was kind of a perfect storm for turning out the way it did. Superfluous stretch goals, porting to every platform under the sun, and when you look up the development history of the directors and lead designers you can sort of understand how it fell flat. Not a huge amount of experience there, and especially not with the game they're trying to create.

Although, does anybody else feel like claims of it being a disaster are kinda overblown? I've not played it myself so I could be wrong, but after watching gameplay videos it looks like being sloppy and bland are the worst of its crimes. I should point out this is apart from some late physical rewards, or the 3DS/Vita versions being AWOL.

Shenmue III doesn't have the crucial problems that hobbled MN9. It has its own challenges to tackle though, but YSnet are busting ass trying to take them on.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby vnisanian2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 pm

But I just don't see how would Ryo abandoning his quest for revenge would work. Wouldn't it all be for nothing then?

The available information on this game doesn't indicate that Ryo will do just that.
vnisanian2001

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:35 pm

You can see the seeds being sown in Shenmue II for Ryo to give up on revenge through the advice he gets from Xiuying and others.

Even though at the end of the Kowloon chapter Ryo is still intent on avenging Iwao, he succeeded against Dou Niu because, in part, he followed Xiuying's advice. He may come around to the rest of it in time.

There's also the question of if Ryo is even capable of defeating Lan Di. He's warned off taking revenge not only for moral reasons, but survival ones too.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby vnisanian2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:39 pm

I wonder in which interview did Suzuki say this?

And yes, I do indeed remember all of this happening during the events of the second game.
vnisanian2001

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:13 am

vnisanian2001 wrote: I wonder in which interview did Suzuki say this?

And yes, I do indeed remember all of this happening during the events of the second game.

Yu Suzuki states this in Shenmue Master's interview with him in 2013 (at the correct time in the following video):

phpBB [video]
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrandyk » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:16 am

It might just turn into a story about a teenager's journey into becoming a young man and finding inner peace. I'm certain he learns vengeance isn't the answer.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SledgeNE » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:10 am

Interesting. I never saw this interview where Yu Suzuki had said that, that Ryo gave up his revenge. But it makes sense. He have now the two Mirrors (giant Dragon Mirror and Phoenix Mirror in the Cave). I found this much more interesting what this have to means and how to use it. Ryo can talk to Lan Di when he meets him personally. Man, this will be an exciting scene: Ryo meets Lan Di and they begin to talk.
SledgeNE

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:07 am

vnisanian2001 wrote: But I just don't see how would Ryo abandoning his quest for revenge would work. Wouldn't it all be for nothing then?

Not when you look at the bigger picture. It starts out as a revenge story, sure. But it becomes so much more. And even though I'm still looking forward to whupping Lan Di's ass in some capacity, I have to confess that the "shared destiny" story arc with Shenhua leaves a far more juicy taste in my mouth.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:55 am

Watch this for some context on the revenge angle:

phpBB [video]
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby redline » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:52 pm

mrandyk wrote: It might just turn into a story about a teenager's journey into becoming a young man and finding inner peace. I'm certain he learns vengeance isn't the answer.

time travel. ive always imagined in the last shenmue game(after maybe something horrific..like all his friends dying and having to sacrificing himself to save the world), ryo being sent back in time to relive his first fight with lan di (s1) but this time, using his new fighting skills, he defeats lan di and saves his father.

i dont really see a better ending than getting the chance to save his father.

redline has received a thanks from: Jibby
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:01 pm

redline wrote:
mrandyk wrote: It might just turn into a story about a teenager's journey into becoming a young man and finding inner peace. I'm certain he learns vengeance isn't the answer.

time travel. ive always imagined in the last shenmue game(after maybe something horrific..like all his friends dying and having to sacrificing himself to save the world), ryo being sent back in time to relive his first fight with lan di (s1) but this time, using his new fighting skills, he defeats lan di and saves his father.

And if you lose the battle and Iwao is defeated, it just loops the story of Shenmue again.
10/10 perfect!

Jibby has received a thanks from: redline
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby durdygirdy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:10 pm

vnisanian2001 wrote: But I just don't see how would Ryo abandoning his quest for revenge would work. Wouldn't it all be for nothing then?

The available information on this game doesn't indicate that Ryo will do just that.

I believe we're at the part of the story where Ryo's environment and the people he is going to encounter sort of calms the anger inside of him. You can see hints of that in shenmue 2 (specifically towards the end). Also, he probably realizes there are bigger problems he needs to face later on in the story.
durdygirdy
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: durdygirdy
XBL: durdygirdy
Steam: durdygirdy
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Deus Ex

Postby redline » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Jibby wrote:
redline wrote:

And if you lose the battle and Iwao is defeated, it just loops the story of Shenmue again.
10/10 perfect!

yes :) a type of never ending loop which needs to be broken.

for me, when i saw the project berkley trailer years ago and it seemed they were going to give shenfa "powers" of some type. i started to think how interesting it would be to relive/play that shenmue 1 intro moment again but change the outcome. - over the years i have thought about the idea of making some sort of animation or something to depict my idea but realistically, i dont have the skills.

project berkley
phpBB [video]

redline has received a thanks from: Niowiad
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III