Shenmue 3 on Steam?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 on Steam?

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:51 am

I am hearing things about the PS4 version being definite, not sure why it can not be on the XBOX what ever designation it is now and the Nintendo Switch, but as far as the computer is there any definite platform? Like is it just going to be a physical copy only or downloaded from their main website or on Steam?

If it is going to be on Steam, which I hope it is for a multitude of reasons, there is not a single thing up on Steam showing anything about Shenmue 3 or anything Shenmue minus the DLC of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed: Ryo Hazuki. A lot of games before release are showcased on Steam and people can start talking about it or at least be up to date with the game and the goings on. Official pictures, videos, news, etc. with news in your inbox when released to the public. But there is nothing. I thought Shenmue 3 was almost done, surely more than half way. :-k
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue 3 on Steam?

Postby SPG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 am

Can't see it being a PC physical copy due to the cost. Steam or GOG if there's no DRM will probably be the way to go. The fact it isn't on Steam yet being promoted reinforces the mess that this game seems to be in. I wonder if the team are still lost in the DC era. Steam would be an AWESOME promo tool as well with the sheer number of users and visitors.
SPG
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 pm

I assume you have to be part of the development team with viable credentials and you can not just say "Hey Valve, I want to create a game page solely for Shenmue 3..." :-k
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SPG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:14 am

Jerid'sRamenShop wrote: I assume you have to be part of the development team with viable credentials and you can not just say "Hey Valve, I want to create a game page solely for Shenmue 3..." :-k

I'd say so, there losing out by not being there with the casual gamers thats for sure.
SPG
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Is anyone in like Flynn with the production team? Wasn't there someone trying to send a basket of fruit and a card to these people to show our support? Can they please contact them and suggest to get onto Steam and announce their game, if their plans are to even come to Steam?
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 pm

It can't be on anything other than PlayStation or PC, because Sony are paying for the advertising. (iirc)

If it does go on steam, I hope it'll support user created content.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 am

The reason Shenmue 3 isn't on Xbox is simply because Microsoft showed little to no interest in having it. Infact, Yu mentioned at one point he tried to strike a deal a few times with them over the years but nothing ever came of it. It not being on the Xbox platform lies solely in the hands of Microsoft. Shenmue 2 wasn't a great seller for them so from that point, it's understandable. They are also focusing more on first party titles from what Phil Spencer said back in 2015 in an interview post-E3.

It was really Sony and their Third Party Productions team (Gio Corsi et al) who we all have to thank for getting Shenmue 3 off the ground. It makes sense it would be PS4 exclusive for this reason.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, VukBZ2005
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby UltimateBeing01 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 am

I was wondering that too. It's going to be released on PC, but how? Steam is the place to go for digital PC games. If not Steam, then is it going to be downloaded from a Shenmue 3 website? I don't get it. If they do the latter, that's really bad. That's SUPER niche. Who in the world would even learn of the game from a lonely, random website in a sea of trillions of websites?
UltimateBeing01
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: TheUltimateBeing01
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:01 am

Relax, it'll be on Steam. That was basically 110% percent assured when Deep Silver picked the title up.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:00 am

Yeah, with Deep Silver as the publisher, I don't see how it won't be on Steam.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:12 am

Totally. Mighty no 9 and Kingdom Come Deliverance are on Steam. Both Kickstarter games, same publisher for Shenmue 3.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 am

sand4fish wrote: Totally. Mighty no 9 and Kingdom Come Deliverance are on Steam. Both Kickstarter games, same publisher for Shenmue 3.

If I remember well, Kingdom Come Deliverance was even advertised on the Steam main page when it released.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby SPG » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:36 am

Spaghetti wrote: Relax, it'll be on Steam. That was basically 110% percent assured when Deep Silver picked the title up.

It may be on GOG. The reason most companies use Steam, apart from its massive user base, is because of DRM. With Shenmue 3 already tight budget DRM may be missing from the game. If thats the case then GOG may also be an option.
SPG
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 am

SPG wrote:It may be on GOG. The reason most companies use Steam, apart from its massive user base, is because of DRM. With Shenmue 3 already tight budget DRM may be missing from the game. If thats the case then GOG may also be an option.

That's part of distribution. Deep Silver will front the cost as publisher.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Shenmue III