Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby Scribe86 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Giorgio wrote: I just hope they will add the Skip Time ("Wait" option) feature in Shenmue I, just as it is in Shenmue II.

Not for me, but to make it more friendly for the newest generation of gamers.

I believe that not being able to skip time to reach events was the biggest obstacle for the mainstream players to approach and carry on playing. Inevitably their reaction was one of boredom. Of course, there could be other elements which could bore them, but "forced waiting" was the big one.

I couldn’t agree with you more, for your more casual gamer this is an absolutely necessity if it is to get a broader positive response/appeal
Scribe86
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby TheThirdComing » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:59 pm

My concern is that you see the intro to Shenmue 1 in 4:3... will the cutscenes not be in widescreen?
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BayStone » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:47 pm

TheThirdComing wrote: My concern is that you see the intro to Shenmue 1 in 4:3... will the cutscenes not be in widescreen?

I'd venture a guess that anything that was a movie to begin with would be in its original aspect ratio. I don't think they'll be re-doing them. Does anybody even have the originals anymore? Can anyone even load them, into whatever they were using for their 3D editing.

Anything real-time I'd assume would be wide-screen, though, if not, then that's just lazy. :|

Giorgio wrote: I just hope they will add the Skip Time ("Wait" option) feature in Shenmue I, just as it is in Shenmue II.

Not for me, but to make it more friendly for the newest generation of gamers.

I believe that not being able to skip time to reach events was the biggest obstacle for the mainstream players to approach and carry on playing. Inevitably their reaction was one of boredom. Of course, there could be other elements which could bore them, but "forced waiting" was the big one.

Understandable, but I think part of what makes Shenmue the game it is, is pacing, the slow, slow pacing. Things don't happen for a long long time and then Bam, you're hit right in the face with a cutscene, fight or whatever. It's tricky balance, but still. :-k
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:51 pm

TheThirdComing wrote: My concern is that you see the intro to Shenmue 1 in 4:3... will the cutscenes not be in widescreen?

We see a Shenmue II cutscene in 16:9, and the trailer is split between 4:3 and 16:9 likely for the purposes of "old vs new" for the video.

I'm also getting increasingly convinced there may be an option to toggle between both aspect ratios. There's a released screen of the cutscene before Ryo fights Guizhang for the first time that's in 4:3, but that fight doesn't have a loading screen/fade out & fade in before the player takes control, and I'm not convinced they'd just have the game "pop" from 4:3 to 16:9 without a transition.

It's also possible they haven't finished widescreen implementation. The trailer marks the footage as WIP.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:02 pm

BayStone wrote:

I'd venture a guess that anything that was a movie to begin with would be in its original aspect ratio. I don't think they'll be re-doing them. Does anybody even have the originals anymore? Can anyone even load them, into whatever they were using for their 3D editing.

Anything real-time I'd assume would be wide-screen, though, if not, then that's just lazy. :|

The intro is realtime, like all in-game cutscenes. I mentioned in another thread that there's something off about Shenhuas eyes in the final zoom-in shot in the trailer compared to original. She's looking in the wrong direction, not into the camera, at the player. This most likely means we are looking at an early version of the intro not working properly on new hardware.
Gen

Postby shredingskin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Time Skip in SI, how long would make the game ? 10 hours ? (most of it from the third disk/in day work).
Will it be handled like in SII (where you could only wait at certain points in the story), or it will be something like skyrim Wait X ammount of time ?

I here's hoping it'll be easy to do texture swaps on PC.

Also very VERY surprised to see it 30dls, great price, I was thinking 40, but knowing SEGA I thought they were going to do something stupid.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Gen wrote:
The intro is realtime, like all in-game cutscenes. I mentioned in another thread that there's something off about Shenhuas eyes in the final zoom-in shot in the trailer compared to original. She's looking in the wrong direction, not into the camera, at the player. This most likely means we are looking at an early version of the intro not working properly on new hardware.

Not that i can explain as to why, but i also feel the footage is old. Why do they do that? With Shenmue 3 i know for an absolute fact that the teaser we seen was old and nowhere near representative of where they are at today (see latest images), and I get the vibe this is the exact same thing. Is this common practice in video game promotion or something?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Selling a game that's mixing together 4:3 and 16:9 is unacceptable. I don't think Sega will commit this mistake.

Likely:
No 60 fps
No lossless textures
No lossless music (although I keep my expectation alive on this one)

It seems rather obvious that resources will focus on the widescreen rebuilding.

It's vital to tweak the time loading, depth of field and time skipper implementation as well. All these improvements should be mandatory.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Gen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Peter wrote:
Gen wrote:

Not that i can explain as to why, but i also feel the footage is old. Why do they do that? With Shenmue 3 i know for an absolute fact that the teaser we seen was old and nowhere near representative of where they are at today (see latest images), and I get the vibe this is the exact same thing. Is this common practice in video game promotion or something?

Yeah, It's a bit weird, or they might just be early in the process so far. Another strange thing is that most of the footage looks very sharp, similar to how it looks on a dreamcast emulator in 1080p, except the Shenmue-tree shot and the S1 intro with Shenhua, which display a more watered-down look similar to S2X with a clear bloom effect. Especially the Shenhua shot with a bit too much bloom for my taste.
Gen

Postby shredingskin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:42 pm

The Shenhua at the end looks amazing, better than just an upres (maybe it's just placebo)/
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:48 pm

No, they've definitely done some work on her, or at least the lighting.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:50 pm

shredingskin wrote: The Shenhua at the end looks amazing, better than just an upres (maybe it's just placebo)/

It think it looks like the exact same model and textures, but they have clearly added som kind of bloom-effect, making it look very yellowish compared to the original. And if you compare them side by side, I think you will see that in the original she is clearly looking at the camera into the eyes of the player and in the trailer she's not.
Gen

Postby Reprise » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Selling a game that's mixing together 4:3 and 16:9 is unacceptable. I don't think Sega will commit this mistake.

I think it has been done before in HD remasters though, although I think in Shenmue in particular it would not work well. That said, sometimes it's simply impossible or too difficult to change cutscenes to native widescreen. In those circumstances, developers might opt to crop the image and implement a scan technique to move and position the screen in a central position. But some might decide that this negatively impacts the field of view (or the artistic vision) too much and stick to a 4:3 aspect ratio, so that the full screen can be viewed.

Can anyone think or remember any examples of remasters that mixed widescreen and 4:3? I know it's been done. Metroid Prime Trilogy (not a HD remaster, but a remaster all the same) had 4:3 menus, whilst gameplay was in 16:9 for example. I think there are other examples.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Reprise wrote:
Can anyone think or remember any examples of remasters that mixed widescreen and 4:3? I know it's been done. Metroid Prime Trilogy (not a HD remaster, but a remaster all the same) had 4:3 menus, whilst gameplay was in 16:9 for example. I think there are other examples.
DMC HD Collection also had 4:3 menus and 16:9 gameplay, Sonic Adventure 2 HD has a couple cutscenes in 4:3 and others in 16:9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxIAd1k-OmU at 22:55 it's in 4:3 18:31 in 16:9

Maybe S1&2 will be similar to that.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Peter wrote:Not that i can explain as to why, but i also feel the footage is old. Why do they do that? With Shenmue 3 i know for an absolute fact that the teaser we seen was old and nowhere near representative of where they are at today (see latest images), and I get the vibe this is the exact same thing. Is this common practice in video game promotion or something?

Normally it’s the opposite with the promotion looking a lot better then the final game. The Gearbox Alien game is the most famous but Ubisoft have done it with at least one game every E3 for about 5 years now showing something super impressive looking only for it to be very downgraded at release.

My main concern is the release date. I think that after August they will loose a lot of people who buy it out of curiosity as the big games start coming out.

I also move to America August 3rd and won’t have a PS4 on me and it’s not the top of my list of things I need to get. If it doesn’t come out before then I imagine it could be quite awhile before I play it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release