Shenmue HD Fact sheet

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD Fact sheet

Postby Centrale » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Dorian wrote: We need to send them as much feedback as possible before the remaster is completed.

D3T seem to be responsive on Twitter, so that's probably your best bet. Let us know what they say!
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Gen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:18 pm

I wouldn't worry about the eye movement, like others are saying, it's a WIP. I was actually a bit relieved when I saw it, because it pretty much confirmed they are working with the source code, I doubt emulation would produce an error like that. I didn't know they had already confirmed it to be a real port, not emulation.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Dorian » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Gen wrote: I wouldn't worry about the eye movement, like others are saying, it's a WIP. I was actually a bit relieved when I saw it, because it pretty much confirmed they are working with the source code, I doubt emulation would produce an error like that. I didn't know they had already confirmed it to be a real port, not emulation.

It's worrying because a) this dev team is new to 4:3 DC games b) there's not that much time before this goes gold (3-4 months tops). They might focus on adding new features and omit details in the already existing code which are obvious to long-time fans. We should point out infidelities to them before they move on to adding new features.
Last edited by Dorian on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm

I should point out that if anybody here is going to contact D3T, please do so as politely as possible.

If you're being rude and demanding, there will be repercussions here.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Dorian wrote:
Gen wrote: I wouldn't worry about the eye movement, like others are saying, it's a WIP. I was actually a bit relieved when I saw it, because it pretty much confirmed they are working with the source code, I doubt emulation would produce an error like that. I didn't know they had already confirmed it to be a real port, not emulation.

It's worrying because a) this dev team is new to 4:3 DC games b) there's not that much time before this goes gold (3-4 months tops). They might focus on adding new features and omit details in the already existing code which are obvious to long-time fans. We should point out infidelities to them before they move on to adding new features.

Nothing wrong with pointing it out to them, please do.
Gen

Postby Dorian » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Gen wrote:Nothing wrong with pointing it out to them, please do.

Would be best if more than one person pointed it out. One person is always considered a naysayer, even if that person is right. However, when 100 people say you're wearing your shirt backwards...
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Technophilz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Dorian wrote:
Gen wrote:Nothing wrong with pointing it out to them, please do.

Would be best if more than one person pointed it out. One person is always considered a naysayer, even if that person is right. However, when 100 people tell you're wearing your shirt backwards...

I've had a detailed look at their social media channels, and the impression I got is that they're very passionate about this project, and they indeed read every comment and reply to almost every single one.
They also mentioned that they'll share development updates if/when the programmers have time for it, so I don't think they need 100 people to tell them the same thing over and over .. I have a strong feeling that we'll get a really solid port of Shenmue I & II out of them.
The possibility of using Shenmue I & II save files in Shenmue III is enough for me to get really excited .. the story goes on.
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Dorian » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Technophilz wrote:I've had a detailed look at their social media channels, and the impression I got is that they're very passionate about this project, and they indeed read every comment and reply to almost every single one.
They also mentioned that they'll share development updates if/when the programmers have time for it, so I don't think they need 100 people to tell them the same thing over and over .. I have a strong feeling that we'll get a really solid port of Shenmue I & II out of them.
The possibility of using Shenmue I & II save files in Shenmue III is enough for me to get really excited .. the story goes on.

The concern here is the lack of time. They really don't have much of that. If people think projects like this are fast and easy, then they are wrong. It doesn't matter that the code is ready. It's not their code. They have to do a ton of things to port it, not to mention adding to it. A company like Bluepoint has experience with remasters of that era. This team, however, does not. Look at what happened with Silent Hill 2-3 HD. That project was lead by a series fanatic and it's the worst HD remaster for consoles I know of. They've butchered it and didn't want to listen to fans. After a ton of complaints, they simply dropped the project and said they can't fix it, so blame Konami, we're gone. Shenmue not only deserves, but absolutely needs the finest treatment, down to last detail.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Technophilz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Dorian wrote:The concern here is the lack of time. They really don't have much of that. If people think projects like this are fast and easy, then they are wrong. It doesn't matter that the code is ready. It's not their code. They have to do a ton of things to port it, not to mention adding to it.

We don't actually know "when" they started working on this project, nor how far they really are in it but one could safely assume they're at a pretty decent stage for Sega to announce a 2018 release window. I remember Shenmue II being ported to the original Xbox which had PC-like X86 architecture with some improvements over the Dreamcast original without any major problems.

Dorian wrote: Look at what happened with Silent Hill 2-3 HD. That project was lead by a series fanatic and it's the worst HD remaster for consoles I know of of. They've butchered it and didn't want to listen to fans. After a ton of complaints, they simply dropped the project and said they can't fix it, so blame Konami, we're gone.

I think this is irrelevant because the final code of SH 2 & 3 was not available to the new team, so they had to work with buggy beta versions within a very limited time to go through all the unfixed bugs on top of the porting process. We have no evidence that it's the case with Shenmue I & II.

Dorian wrote: Shenmue not only deserves, but absolutely needs the finest treatment, down to last detail.

I totally agree and I would have preferred a Bluepoint remaster like the new Shadow of the Colossus, but I feel that we'll get a solid port that will maintain the spirit of the originals in addition to some tweaks on top for a great retail price.
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Esppiral » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:20 pm

I hope the game is Full 4K on Xbox one X and Ps4 Pro.

After emulating the game at insane resolutions 1080p sounds low to me.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Shenmue I’s skybox is mentioned in this topic as a hypothetical change they could make to the original game, but I strangely prefer the first game’s sky to the second’s. I completely agree that Shenmue II’s skies are much more colourful and dynamic than the original’s, but there was something about the real life sky images (albeit static), that I preferred over the sequel. I’m an oddball.

Although not entirely sure where this “wrong eye movement” thing is coming from? I don't notice anything different in the trailer.

Hadoken Hazuki has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

There is no problem with the sky's design in Shenmue but the textures are just way too low res and appear blocky.
With the increased resolution it becomes all the more apparent and it catches your eyes quickly.

Judging by the trailer they already put some work into it. Even if they just put some bilinear filter over it, it will help without ruining the look. Creating a sky dome like in Shenmue II is definately asking too much and yeah the sky's look is definately part of Shenmue.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Elevensixty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Since Shenmue 2 is using Xbox as basis, camera and side story, oh and mini game collection will be in it I assume, maybe with modifications? Seems I've seen camera icon in the teaser UI.

Oh yeah, duck race...!

I'm so happy, guys
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby ShenSun » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I should point out that if anybody here is going to contact D3T, please do so as politely as possible.

If you're being rude and demanding, there will be repercussions here.

100% agree. Be respectful everyone. D3T are doing us a massive service.

ShenSun has received 2 thanks from: Elevensixty, Reprise
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Reading that they have experience with porting AAA games to PS4 (The Witcher 3, Little Big Planet) I have much more faith than I did before, not having heard of the studio name before.

I think it's gonna be a great port. Also if they're using the original Dreamcast source code it is feasible that they could add many of the QOL features from Shenmue II to Shenmue I.

For example in Shenmue I there are times when Ryo would automatically walk up or down steps without the player actively controlling him. I know that seems small but for me it's a big deal. Like, I don't want to wait until the walking up stairs animation finishes if I want to change my mind and go in the other direction. That's pretty damn annoying, and it was fixed in Shenmue II.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release