No Time Skip In Shenmue I

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Benwah » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

I don’t mind this too much, the only thing that bothers me is the perception newbies have coming to the game. I hope it doesn’t turn them off the Shenmue franchise. Don’t forget we need Shenmue 3 to sell well to ensure the 4th game and further are made.
Benwah
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: ThaiBenwah
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni 2

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:21 pm

That's a shame. Hopefully it has the save anywhere feature. Just to mitigate times where you'd be forced to wait overnight to progress if you failed a story challenge. Playing pool with the dock workers comes to mind..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Ceej » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: That's a shame. Hopefully it has the save anywhere feature. Just to mitigate times where you'd be forced to wait overnight to progress if you failed a story challenge. Playing pool with the dock workers comes to mind..

Shenmue technically did have a Save Anywhere feature (that made you shut the console off afterwards). I would imagine that would be converted to the actual save system for the HD version.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm

While I wouldn't use that feature myself, I think that it would actually be a kind of lazy decision not to include the time skip. It's something which is mandatory in "modern" gaming, in my opinion.

So, for myself, I don't care but for some people the Charlie part and some days at the harbour will be annoying. Then again, this is not an official statement from Sega or D3T, is it? It's just one website. They could be wrong.

I really do hope they'll include save anywhere for S1. I always make a point of kicking Chai's ass at the You Arcade but sometimes it takes me like 10 attempts to do so and I always hated having to reload and run all the way from Hazuki Residence to the You Arcade in S1, when I had lost the first Chai fight. Would be awesome to be able to save right in front of You Arcade.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: While I wouldn't use that feature myself, I think that it would actually be a kind of lazy decision not to include the time skip. It's something which is mandatory in "modern" gaming, in my opinion.

So, for myself, I don't care but for some people the Charlie part and some days at the harbour will be annoying. Then again, this is not an official statement from Sega or D3T, is it? It's just one website. They could be wrong.

I really do hope they'll include save anywhere for S1. I always make a point of kicking Chai's ass at the You Arcade but sometimes it takes me like 10 attempts to do so and I always hated having to reload and run all the way from Hazuki Residence to the You Arcade in S1, when I had lost the first Chai fight. Would be awesome to be able to save right in front of You Arcade.

I wish it was included. I saw it as bad game design, personally.

It's from a Sega spokesperson (also backed up by Adam K) so I'd take that as read..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: While I wouldn't use that feature myself, I think that it would actually be a kind of lazy decision not to include the time skip. It's something which is mandatory in "modern" gaming, in my opinion.

This tweet seems to further confirm it.
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 1147527173
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm

As far as the move may sound wise and admirable, it's a terrible decision imo.

The No-Time-Skip was, and still is a brilliant idea as itself, but Shenmue 1 world has no longer the material to captivate the modern player.

Will the fast loading attenuate the rough perception of it? I hope so.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, this decision kills any chance we had at gaining a big audience for the Shenmue series.

Not giving the choice is an idiotic decision, just like having to wait for 30-40 minutes of real life because of a 20 years old design decision is idiotic.

The remasters are a blessing to the fans, but they are also the biggest and only chance this series has to attract major interest from newcomers...
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

So much negativity. Not that I’m surprised. Chill out, guys.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Reprise
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Well, this decision kills any chance we had at gaining a big audience for the Shenmue series.

The remasters are a blessing to the fans, but they are also the biggest and only chance this series has to attract major interest from newcomers...

Did people still think this was going to happen? It could be an amazing remaster, done by a team going above and beyond, and it'll still be a fairly niche title...

Reprise has received 2 thanks from: BayStone, VukBZ2005
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm

^ You all bring up some fair points.
The longtime fan in me is ecstatic that they’re keeping the game intact, allowing me to revisit Shenmue 1 as I remember it (more or less ;) )...but what about the modern player? How will he feel having to spend real time waiting in an outdated world? Interesting times ahead.

Well, the series has always been polarizing I suppose….looks like that’s another feature that will be kept ‘as is’ ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Reprise wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Well, this decision kills any chance we had at gaining a big audience for the Shenmue series.

Did people still think this was going to happen? It could be an amazing remaster, done by a team going above and beyond, and it'll still be a fairly niche title...

Are you asking me if i believe a series that never released for PlayStation, but instead was out 20 years ago for 2 relatively niche systems (NA Dreamcast players never even got the sequel)and that is so good it got resurrected 20 years later by sheer force of will of the fans, has a chance of becoming big?

Yes, I absolutely do.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BayStone » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

The modern player issue is definitely a thing, sure, but if a game sort of wants to or at least seems to want you to do things in a certain way, then being able to time skip to get to the next important bit, when you want to, goes against that.

It goes against the mundanity, the thing the game tries to go for. It also destroys the juxtaposition between the mundanity and the non-mundanity.

Of course they broke this thing for S2, which leads to me to believe that the above rant isn't actually that important, or it is and they decided to break their own vision for gameplay purposes.

I don't know what to believe, but the whole time-skip thing has always rubbed be the wrong way. :D

EDIT: Also, what they could do is make the time-skipping at least contextually a little better. :-k
Last edited by BayStone on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

punkmanced wrote: ^ You all bring up some fair points.
The longtime fan in me is ecstatic that they’re keeping the game intact, allowing me to revisit Shenmue 1 as I remember it (more or less ;) )...but what about the modern player? How will he feel having to spend real time waiting in an outdated world? Interesting times ahead.

Well, the series has always been polarizing I suppose….looks like that’s another feature that will be kept ‘as is’ ;)

I chuckled.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
Are you asking me if i believe a series that never released for PlayStation, but instead was out 20 years ago for 2 relatively niche systems (NA Dreamcast players never even got the sequel)and that is so good it got resurrected 20 years later by sheer force of will of the fans, has a chance of becoming big?

Yes, I absolutely do.

I admire your optimism.

BayStone wrote:
EDIT: Also, what they could do is make the time-skipping at least contextually a little better. :-k

Have Ryo slip off to one of those seedy little bars with the women hanging outside, disappear with one and then re-emerge pulling the zip of his jeans up.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release