Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby returnedfate » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 am

I'm concerned that they're using the Xbox model of Ryo. Whilst that model does have an updated and better textured jacket it's worse than the Dreamcast one because his jacket has bigger cuffs from the wrist and looks too big on Ryo. My other concern is that they are using Xbox textures for everything else aswell when I'd rather prefer Dreamcast textures.
returnedfate
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 am

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the look of the Xbox version either. I'd rather they used the Dreamcast version as the source material and then add some of the effects and touches from the Xbox version, as well as any others they feel necessary. I just hope that awful motion blur effect isn't included and bloom is removed from the scenes where it just doesn't look great, but I'm not hopeful.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:16 am

DC version without the framedips and aliasing would be perfect imo.

dietsoap has received a thanks from: Mr357
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 pm

Using the Xbox version as a basis for S2 really is a concern. It's by no means a bad port but I really hate how they have a lot of little mistakes in the Xbox version. Like clipping mistakes or the vending machines in Hong Kong displaying Yen prices and so on.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xboxvsdreamcast.html

Also, the Xbox version has a big blunder, which is super annoying to me. THey used the wrong music for the Guilin opening scene.

Hyo Razuki has received 3 thanks from: dietsoap, Reprise, VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Esppiral » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm

While I agree, the Xbox version looks stunning emulated at 4k.

It already looks better than the HD port imho.

Esppiral has received 4 thanks from: BlueCreeperBoy12, Mr357, Sappharad, Yokosuka
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby punkmanced » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Has it been confirmed that they're using the Xbox version of Shenmue 2?
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 pm

punkmanced wrote: Has it been confirmed that they're using the Xbox version of Shenmue 2?

Seems like it's the Xbox version. Image
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Esppiral » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm

CXBX--R (Xbox version emulated)

HD remaster
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Using the Xbox version as a basis for S2 really is a concern. It's by no means a bad port but I really hate how they have a lot of little mistakes in the Xbox version. Like clipping mistakes or the vending machines in Hong Kong displaying Yen prices and so on.

Also, the Xbox version has a big blunder, which is super annoying to me. THey used the wrong music for the Guilin opening scene.

I agree. I have nothing to add :sad:
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Esppiral » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Different time of day though
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Using the Xbox version as a basis for S2 really is a concern. It's by no means a bad port but I really hate how they have a lot of little mistakes in the Xbox version. Like clipping mistakes or the vending machines in Hong Kong displaying Yen prices and so on.

Not sure if they were all "mistakes". It seems that the Xbox team had to work on the port while AM2 was yet to complete the full development on Dreamcast, including texture tweaks and implementation.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Yokosuka wrote:

Not sure if they were all "mistakes". It seems that the Xbox team had to work on the port while AM2 was yet to complete the full development on Dreamcast, including textures tweaks and implementation.

First I've heard of this. Anything else to back it up?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm

GYO6161 wrote:
punkmanced wrote: Has it been confirmed that they're using the Xbox version of Shenmue 2?

Seems like it's the Xbox version. Image

Oh god damnit :cry:

Yokosuka wrote:

Not sure if they were all "mistakes". It seems that the Xbox team had to work on the port while AM2 was yet to complete the full development on Dreamcast, including texture tweaks and implementation.

I have no idea if that's true, but that could explain why the Xbox version actually has worse textures in many areas.

dietsoap has received a thanks from: Reprise
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby redline » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 pm

GYO6161 wrote: Censorship still being intact S2 would suck. I doubt they are gonna redub Yuan's lines in english, who knows if they are gonna use the Japanese Yuan voice or the Female Japanese EU voice. They will also have to bring in actors in English to do that tape recording scene that is missing in English and i doubt SEGA is gonna put in the budget for all of that. Those are my biggest concerns.

god, if word got out about yuan character, the typical protestors would call for shenmue HD to be banned.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:13 pm

redline wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Censorship still being intact S2 would suck. I doubt they are gonna redub Yuan's lines in english, who knows if they are gonna use the Japanese Yuan voice or the Female Japanese EU voice. They will also have to bring in actors in English to do that tape recording scene that is missing in English and i doubt SEGA is gonna put in the budget for all of that. Those are my biggest concerns.

god, if word got out about yuan character, the typical protestors would call for shenmue HD to be banned.

As long as we don't have anyone here crossboarding on resetera we should be fine :lol:
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release