Remaster VS Original Comparison Video

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Remaster VS Original Comparison Video

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:57 am

Am I the only one who really could not give a f*** if the cutscenes are in 4:3? If they release the game in that state, then it will be because they could not avoid it. Simple as. It really isn't that important. What is important, is they ensure no graphical touches or effects are lost in translation. It's looking gorgeous so far.

Reprise has received a thanks from: Niowiad
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yama » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:24 am

Reprise wrote: Am I the only one who really could not give a f*** if the cutscenes are in 4:3? If they release the game in that state, then it will be because they could not avoid it. Simple as. It really isn't that important. What is important, is they ensure no graphical touches or effects are lost in translation. It's looking gorgeous so far.

Seeing as they are rendered they should be able to get them to work. This also is a WIP. But yeah, if they're unable to for whatever reason, I couldn't care less either.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby darksniper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 am

Reprise wrote: Am I the only one who really could not give a f*** if the cutscenes are in 4:3? If they release the game in that state, then it will be because they could not avoid it. Simple as. It really isn't that important. What is important, is they ensure no graphical touches or effects are lost in translation. It's looking gorgeous so far.

I really don't give af either. Shenmue I and II with trophies and updated controls is good enough for me. But it has to be somewhat aesthetically pleasing to garner new fans to the series.

On a side note though, I do kinda want some bloom in my Shenmue II though.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:16 am

If we want to make Shenmue HD & Shenmue 3 a minimal success, we have no choice but to care.

No full widescreen support, no 60fps, no HD texturing, no lossless audio... a lot of basic features is missing at the moment. Obviously it's WIP but we need the games before Shenmue 3. The current state of what we've seen is naturally a "concern" about the real Sega's ambition behind the port.

D3T may have a huge amount of work to begin with, most of people - newcomers, old players, influential reviewers - want something that looks a remaster rather a port regardless. At least from what I read in the different comment sections.

I would be frankly disappointed if D3T failed to implement any of these features. Both because I personally want a different experience from emulators and because they would take the risk to scare a lot of potential players off (already dubious by the rough state of the screenshots). I'm not sure if letterboxes with old graphics are the best way to attract people on the Steam shop page...
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 am

I don't understand what people mean by "look" like a remaster. Not all remasters are fancy and full of new features. 1080p, native widescreen for gameplay and new modern interfaces and options will suffice. I think the only remaster I've played that actually went above and beyond expectations was SotC & ICO HD on the PS3. The cutscenes not being widescreen is not going to make or break people's reactions. Neither is 60fps. What we need to hope for is there aren't glitches, bugs or missing textures or effects, because that will cause damage to the Shenmue brand.

No one crapped on Resident Evil Remake or 0 for using crop, scan and pan to create widescreen and most people kept the 4:3 view to ensure nothing was cropped. They didn't have a choice because of the pre-rendered graphics and maybe changing the Shenmue cutscenes into native 16:9 is not as simple as some people think. And I think 60fps would be impossible, no?
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 am

Yeah but most of these games were remastered on the previous generation. Our current machines grew in power and I feel people are going to be stricter this time, regardless of the game development context. I presume the price will be enough to sugar the pill though.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:22 am

The DC footage doesn't look like it was captured from a VGA box.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby iyapol » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Shenhua could be cross-eyed for all I care - we're getting Shenmue HD!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm

iyapol wrote: Shenhua could be cross-eyed for all I care - we're getting Shenmue HD!

are you sure m8

dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Senpai Gamer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Guys...we are getting Shenmue 1 and 2 on 75% of the current gen platforms. That is all that matters to me, we begged and tweeted and re tweeted and they finally listened to us. Well done everyone.
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby Esppiral » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:44 pm

dietsoap wrote:
iyapol wrote: Shenhua could be cross-eyed for all I care - we're getting Shenmue HD!

are you sure m8

Still much better than what we have for S3
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby gillian_seed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm

dietsoap wrote:

are you sure m8

I hate you :agrue:
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Jibby » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Jibby has received 5 thanks from: dietsoap, iyapol, James Brown, myshtuff, Niowiad
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release