Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 am

After seeing some screenshots today I remain very concerned! I really want to play the game on my PS4 full 1080p, but I have seen that the cutscenes might be in 4:3? I've seen screenshots which may indicate this:

Kiske wrote: A few new screenshots have been released (saw them on Gematsu.com)

Sorry if those have already been posted.

is there any confirmation on this?
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:45 am

Everything we've seen so far is a work-in-progress, so hopefully they will be able to sort this out come release.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 am

I'm praying so, this is the one feature which could really let me down with the release, if they're making it for modern systems the very least they could do is get the aspect ratio fir for modern purpose - If Metal Gear Solid HD Collection can do it, I don't see why it can't be done with Shenmue.

TheThirdComing

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 am

So far, seems like it, yes. At least according to the Gematsu gallery

People should stop shutting down any discussion about the criticisms observed so far with the "It's work in progress" retort.

No shit, it's work-in-progress, we know that...But If we don't voice our concerns now, then when do you suggest voicing it? A month from now? two months from now? Do you know when the game is supposed to be complete? No? Then please stop jumping down people's throats and let us point out the flaws that we can observe from the currently available material.

If by any chance the developer did not intend for those flaws to be "fixed", then at least we could spur them to do so. If they did intend to fix them from the start, then... No harm done? Seriously telling people who want to discuss and point out these flaws that "It's work-in-progress" accomplishes nothing but stifles the discussion. No one appointed you as d3t's spokesman.

Anyway, aside from the wide-screen stuff, there doesn't seem to be any shadows in all Shenmue 2 scenes, which is something that is reminiscent of the X360 version. I hope they fix that too, it made the X360 ver. looks too flat.

EDIT: To be clear, I didn't intend for this post to be a response to what ShenGC said above, it's a response to a general sentiment I've seen in multiple threads here and on other forums and social media since HD remasterd's announcement.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 am

also the added black borders don't fully cover the top and sides of the screen (there is a tiny gap allowing you to see the image behind). the original xbox version had that same problem.

rather than complain people should be asking (politely) the developers or Adam to confirm whats planned for the final game. everyone agrees that proper wide-screen for both gameplay and cutscenes would be preferable, but i'm sure the developers have their reasons.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 am

Rikitatsu wrote: So far, seems like it, yes. At least according to the Gematsu gallery

People should stop shutting down any discussion about the criticisms observed so far with the "It's work in progress" retort.

No shit, it's work-in-progress, we know that...But If we don't voice our concerns now, then when do you suggest voicing it? A month from now? two months from now? Do you know when the game is supposed to be complete? No? Then please stop jumping down people's throats and let us point out the flaws that we can observe from the currently available material.

If by any chance the developer did not intend for those flaws to be "fixed", then at least we could spur them to do so. If they did intend to fix them from the start, then... No harm done? Seriously telling people who want to discuss and point out these flaws that "It's work-in-progress" accomplishes nothing but stifles the discussion. No one appointed you as d3t's spokesman.

Anyway, aside from the wide-screen stuff, there doesn't seem to be any shadows in all Shenmue 2 scenes, which is something that is reminiscent of the X360 version. I hope they fix that too, it made the X360 ver. looks too flat.

EDIT: To be clear, I didn't intend for this post to be a response to what ShenGC said above, it's a response to a general sentiment I've seen in multiple threads here and on other forums and social media since HD remasterd's announcement.

And as I've said, all viewpoints and opinions are welcome here. Negative ones included. Am I going to be happy with 4:3 cutscene ratios or lack of shadows or other graphical misgivings? No.
But what not going to happen, is this forum and this site will not become a hotbed of negativity towards the series it stands for. The tone and attitude of this site will not be what it became during its darkest days. If you are going to post negative opinions and criticisms, that's fine. But what I won't be having is members log in here to pick holes in every screen shot and video released and then leave. There will be positives, hell Shenmue HD and 3 existing are a positive in itself! So there's multiple aspects of the future if Shenmue that can be, and should be praised. Anyone thinking here is the place to go for a whinge and scarcastic comment collection will not be tolerated. Everyone who registers an account here does so with the general assumption that they harbour some sort of like it love for this series, so why anyone would want to join here just to bash it escapes me, and like I said won't be tolerated.

So for those of you who have highlighted the issues with what you have seen so far... What are you actually doing about it? If you are passionate enough to post here about current issues, why are you assuming talking about it here will get the job done? It won't. In this world of social media, why are you not taking to platforms where you can access the people you need to speak to? It's not hard to work out how.

As for shutting down or stifling anything, I haven't seen a single topic locked yet, so I don't know where you are getting that impression. People are posting their thoughts and opinions and just because someone has the total opposite opinion isn't shutting anything down at all. People who disagree with your "thoughts and opinions" are not D3T spokespeople so don't make the accusation again. You haven't mentioned a single positive about this entire event, from its price point to its multiple platform release and how it will potentially benefit sales of Shenmue 3, but you want to have a go at people "stifling" conversation. Yea, I don't think so.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: Reprise, spud1897, Telekill, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby sand4fish » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 am

I'm not sure what's the big deal with these cutscenes being widescreen or not. Wasn't the whole Shenmue HD thing a mean to generate serious interest outside the core fanbase towards the third game and revitalize the brand? It's not like most here never played a HD version of these games already. Newcomers will likely see this game for what it really is, straight forward HD ports of almost 20 years old games, $15 per game... just a little bit more than having a port of GTA: San Andreas on your smartphone. Not having widescreen for cutscenes might even work in favor for the modern gamer as it can work as a visual cue for putting the controller down. There are already talks about skipping time in Shenmue 1 and having a side map on screen, so it's not much of a stretch imo.

And unfortunately, Shenmue is not Metal Gear or Uncharted. Those franchises actually turn a profit for their publishers. If Sega was really serious about dumping money on Shenmue HD, we wouldn't have had to wait two decades for the company to start doing something with the series after throwing the franchise's future to the whims of crowdfunding. Let's be thankful we are having something right now. Down the road, if Shenmue HD turns out great sales wise from gamers in general, Sega might be convinced to hire someone like the folks at Bluepoint and have an actual remake a la SOTC. When you think about that prospect, stuff like widescreened cutscenes on HD ports are such minor issues to be worried about. Well, at least that's my two cents on the issue.
Last edited by sand4fish on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, VukBZ2005
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 am

I don't even know what people expect the developers to do?

"Oh wait, the cutscenes are in 4:3!? Oh thank you for bringing it to our attention, as we had absolutely no idea! We hadn't even noticed. We will fix that right away"

Erm nope. It's either a conscious design decision, or they will convert it later, or it's impossible or it's simply more work than they can be arsed to put in".

I agree that problems like missing shadows do need to get addressed...

At the end of the day though, how much work goes into this 'remaster' has probably already been decided... I do hope it's not a lazy port.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jesse » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 am

This isn't a deal breaker for me by any stretch of the imagination but I hope before the collection goes gold that they're able to convert it if at all possible.
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby spud1897 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 am

What we don't know is how far along the game is.

Would I like the aspect ration fixed sure, do I care enough to let it bother me... not a chance.

I'd like the shadows fixed but this will come in time. D3T will be working on this day and night it's a massive project for them and it is also in their interests to pull it off well. They know how passionate the community is and are responsive. Ask them questions, I have seem them respond to the idea of Spanish subs for example.

We are so lucky to have HD and 3 coming... appreciate what we have for just a moment (as the best damn community on the internet) and then think constructively. Help each other make this better for all of us and promote the hell out of this. The series has a major lifeline and if it doesn't do well now we can kiss it good bye.

spud1897 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Reprise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 am

I think some people think newcomers and modern gamers will see cutscenes in 4:3 and it will cause them to puke, critics will ridicule the game and sales will drop from a potential 10.9 million copies to 39 copies, all because 4:3 is so repulsive. This will lead to Shenmue 3's cancellation and Shenmue 4 will never ever happen. The massive and huge success that could have come Shenmue's way leading to a renaissance for Sega will all be lost, because of this glaring and unacceptable oversight.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Superrayman3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Reprise wrote: I think some people think newcomers and modern gamers will see cutscenes in 4:3 and it will cause them to puke, critics will ridicule the game and sales will drop from a potential 10.9 million copies to 39 copies, all because 4:3 is so repulsive. This will lead to Shenmue 3's cancellation and Shenmue 4 will never ever happen. The massive and huge success that could have come Shenmue's way leading to a renaissance for Sega will all be lost, because of this glaring and unacceptable oversight.
The best course of action would be to have an option to switch between 4:3 and widescreen that way everyone is happy this community proved that it was possible to make Shenmue I & II on the Dreamcast widescreen (which in and of itself helped open the floodgates to many DC games being modified to display in widescreen) so there should be an option since they're working with the code directly, my only hope is that they fix any polygon/clipping problems that may arise in the widescreen conversion process if they decide to allow the option to choose between 4:3 and widescreen.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Reprise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Superrayman3 wrote: The best course of action would be to have an option to switch between 4:3 and widescreen that way everyone is happy this community proved that it was possible to make Shenmue I & II on the Dreamcast widescreen (which in and of itself helped open the floodgates to many DC games being modified to display in widescreen) so there should be an option since they're working with the code directly, my only hope is that they fix any polygon/clipping problems that may arise in the widescreen conversion process if they decide to allow the option to choose between 4:3 and widescreen.

Well the game is in widescreen. It's just the cutscenes that, currently, appear to be in 4:3. Whether it's a technical limitation and something they can overcome I don't know. That said, I agree with you, I would love it if there was a choice to play in 4:3 or 16:9. There are some purists who would like the option to play it as it originally was. Resident Evil Remake and 0 HD both offered these options, although I can see why they did, since they had to crop the bottom and top of the screen in order to create the widescreen view.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Maybe the aspect ratio on cutscenes have been preserved in 4:3 to respect the original shot composition of each scene, and not something technical. Kinda like when Star Trek TNG got a bluray released and people complained it wasn't remastered in 16:9 widescreen and it was kept in 4:3 to honor the original project.
I wonder what Yu Suzuki's take on this will be if he was involved in the HD remastering of 1 and 2.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby BlueMue » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't think it's a conscious decision to keep the original aspect ratio just to keep it well... original.

Since games aren't like film you can just make more stuff visible on the sides to fill widescreen instead of cropping and losing someting from the top and bottom. And that's the key here, nothing is lost, so nothing envisioned is ruined. On top of that I don't recall any instance of a cutscene in Shenmue that doesn't work with the more cinematic widescreen, they are all improved. And after all they introduced that look with black bars in Shenmue II.

Anyway I defend the point that nothing is to be taken as a fact from the screenshots we've seen to far. And because we've seen both cutscenes and gameplay in original format and full widescreen to me matches with the fact that there will be an option to chose this. Beyond that they are also definately still testing things out at this stage.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, VukBZ2005
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release