Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby punkmanced » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 pm

They'll most likely use the EU Dreamcast version for Yuan.
The only English performance available so far is from the Xbox version, which uses a female Yuan. I'd imagine for the sake of consistency (and to save a few bucks), they'll just leave things as is and hence go with the EU (female) version for the Japanese equivalent.

Frankly, it would be interesting for them to just leave YS' original intentions alone, and have an English-speaking dude just redub the vocals.
Last edited by punkmanced on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:29 pm

dietsoap wrote:
redline wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Censorship still being intact S2 would suck. I doubt they are gonna redub Yuan's lines in english, who knows if they are gonna use the Japanese Yuan voice or the Female Japanese EU voice. They will also have to bring in actors in English to do that tape recording scene that is missing in English and i doubt SEGA is gonna put in the budget for all of that. Those are my biggest concerns.

god, if word got out about yuan character, the typical protestors would call for shenmue HD to be banned.

As long as we don't have anyone here crossboarding on resetera we should be fine :lol:

There are a few of us. I try to stay away from anything remotely political. :)
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm

My only wish at this point is I'm a couple of days out from upgrading to the God of War PS4 Pro. Thus, I really hope for a 4k option.

I see no reason why it can't be done. Native 1080P is fine, but I'd love to see some 4K HDR Shenmue.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby asdfguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm

My only problem is the lousy job they did with the menu redesign. They looks lazy, dull and unappealing. I can spend couple of min making better icons.

asdfguy
Asia Travel Representative

Postby dietsoap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm

asdfguy wrote: My only problem is the lousy job they did with the menu redesign. They looks lazy, dull and unappealing. I can spend couple of min making better icons.

At least at first glance that looks fine to me. What exactly is wrong with it and what would you do different?
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby asdfguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:36 pm

First, I'll increase Ryo's health bar by increasing the contrast and making the "yellow status" more vibrant.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

EDIT: I forgot about Ryo's watch. I would just add a metallic texture to give it more life-like instead of the very plane image they have now. It seems like a a downgrade from the original Shenmue's watch.

asdfguy

Postby Sappharad » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

dietsoap wrote:At least at first glance that looks fine to me. What exactly is wrong with it and what would you do different?

I agree, the new HUD elements look fine to me. The clock needs to be generic looking to ditch the Timex branding since they're not re-licensing that. Some of it was weird at first and almost too smooth, but that's just because we're used to seeing the original. I will say that Esppiral's comparison screenshots on the previous page do look better to me than the ones Sega released, however it's an unfair comparison to make at the moment. Smoothing and filtering options are used for his images, and on PC you'll be able to force that stuff anyway via graphics card options. It's still possible those options could be exposed in-game as well.

Monday's batch of screenshots basically indirectly confirmed that aspect ratio will be an option (as we've now seen Shenmue 2 cutscenes in true 16x9 and also in 4x3 but letterboxed to 16x9 like the original was) so that's not something I'm worried about anymore although there's still no evidence that we'll get actual 16x9 cutscenes in Shenmue 1. Aside from that I'm not concerned about any graphical problems being introduced to the first game, since they're basing it on the original code and the team working on it knows what they're doing. For Shenmue 1 it's going to be the definitive way to play almost certainly.

But I will say that I still agree with some concerns about the second game. It's very likely that the problems introduced in the Xbox port will not be fixed. Sega contracted them to port the games and dictates the requirements for the project. D3T is going to do exactly what Sega requests from them, and if correcting the mistakes introduced in that version is not something that was requested, it will not happen. The people responsible for these decisions are not going to have the same knowledge of the game differences that the fans do. It's likely that they're not even aware of the differences and will just be doing comparisons against the Xbox version. Unless reverting the geometry changes is a planned change then it won't be happening. I'm buying it either way, but I'm disappointed that they're basing the area geometry on the Xbox port. (And before anyone goes all "but these are WIP" on me for this paragraph, re-read it again or just ignore this part completely. We don't know what their plans are, but they chose to cherry pick images with Xbox geometry intact and I personally believe they won't fix it. My opinion about that will be the same at release if it remains as-is, and I'll be very happy if I'm wrong or someone makes them aware of the situation and they decide oh we should change this. I'm still satisfied with the fact that this is happening at all)

asdfguy wrote: First, I'll increase Ryo's health bar by increasing the contrast and making the "yellow status" more vibrant.

You're forgetting how that works. It pulses in and out, they just took the screenshot at a low point. If it works the same way as it does in the original there's nothing wrong with that image.

Sappharad has received 3 thanks from: Enigma, Peter, VukBZ2005
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 pm

asdfguy wrote:I would just add a metallic texture to give it more life-like instead of the very plane image they have now. It seems like a a downgrade from the original Shenmue's watch.

Looks ready for takeoff to me, but then again I don't have a PHD in Photoshop.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:52 am

asdfguy wrote: First, I'll increase Ryo's health bar by increasing the contrast and making the "yellow status" more vibrant.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

EDIT: I forgot about Ryo's watch. I would just add a metallic texture to give it more life-like instead of the very plane image they have now. It seems like a a downgrade from the original Shenmue's watch.

I'm happy to see an actual high res HUD, I see no issue with it. I've seen plenty of remasters reuse original assets and upscale poorly. The trailer is also a WIP. This is nitpicking at it's finest, we really don't need this here.

Yama has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 am

Yeah, no complaints from me over the HUD either. Looks just like how I'd imagine a high resolution Shenmue HUD to look.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Birty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:57 am

The HUD looks perfectly fine. The amount of time we have physically waited for the sequel and the HD remasters, this is the least of our worries. I love how crisp it’s all looking!
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Reprise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 am

Anyone know much about porting, remastering and emulators. A lot of people seem to suggest that it's "obvious" that these are just being emulated (i.e. it will be an emulator running the games).
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 am

Of course it isn't emulated. If it was emulated they couldn't have changed the HUD for a start.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am

It's been confirmed already that it's a source code port:
https://d3tltd.com/shenmue/
We can finally reveal that the d3t team have been resurrecting Shenmue from the original source code written over 20 years ago!

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Nankeiro, Truck_1_0_1_
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gastarot » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am

Do you know if we will have 60 FPS for 1080p 16/9 ?
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release