Famitsu Article

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Famitsu Article

Postby d3tAllan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Amir wrote:
d3tAllan wrote: I'd say we're further along than 70%

Hi Allan, thanks for joining the forum! I'm not sure how much you're at liberty to say, but are you allowed to say how cutscenes will be presented in Shenmue II? Will they be letterboxed for people who select 4:3, and full widescreen for people who select 16:9?

Also, will the stencil/environment shadows from the Xbox version of Shenmue II be implemented at all? I only ever played the Dreamcast version and despite owning an Xbox never felt the urge to own the Xbox version of Shenmue II, but watching the DF Retro episode on the game, it was cool to see environmental shadows that I'd never seen before. Not a deal-breaker if they're not included, though.

Thanks!

I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

We've ported the xbox version of Shenmue II so yes it does have stencil shadows.

d3tAllan
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby d3tAllan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 pm

KidMarine wrote:
d3tAllan wrote: I'd say we're further along than 70%

Assuming you're for real, I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work. It's really shaping up nicely <3

d3tAllan has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
d3tAllan
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Good to have you with us!

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I hope you guys not only find a way to make the game 16:9, but I'm really hopeful for some PS4 Pro or Xbox One X support. Is that in the cards at some point(maybe not at release, I could understand)?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anthony817 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm

d3tAllan wrote:I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

We've ported the xbox version of Shenmue II so yes it does have stencil shadows.

Hello, just wanted too ask you to clarify something. When you say widescreen hacks, are you referring to the option in like NullDC to turn on extra geometry, or referring to a true widescreen hack like found in this thread? We have pretty much solved making the games widescreen on Sega Dreamcast and fixed the issue with the geometry clipping where it renders things off screen differently.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50595

Old widescreen hack

New widescreen hack

phpBB [video]

Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby d3tAllan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Valascaziel wrote: Good to have you with us!

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I hope you guys not only find a way to make the game 16:9, but I'm really hopeful for some PS4 Pro or Xbox One X support. Is that in the cards at some point(maybe not at release, I could understand)?

I don't think these are the kind of games that would benefit hugely from Xbox One X or PS4 Pro enhancements.
d3tAllan
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Are you using uncompressed audio files?

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Shendream
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 pm

d3tAllan wrote:All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

Thank you for letting us know! That's perfectly understandable and reasonable given to how distracting it would be if the cutscenes remained 16:9 and the issues described were visible.

Are there any plans for a seamless transition between the two aspect ratios? Will going from gameplay to cutscene show the border edges outside of the 4:3 field gradually fade/transition to black or will it be an instant cut between the two ratios?

Thank you, and apologies in advance for bringing the discussion back to the ratio, just curious how it will work, no hard feelings if there's no further comment on this subject matter yet :heart:
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby johnvivant » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

I know a handful of cut-scenes have issues where characters were not animated beyond the 4:3 limits of the screen (when they sometimes freeze or disappear) . i hope its possible to have just these specific scenes limited to 4:3 ratio while all the other can benefit from widescreen. thanks.

thanks for coming to forums to discuss
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anthony817 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

phpBB [video]

I think this is a good example of what I think you are talking about. The issue where the guys animation froze on the left side of the screen you can see his foot just out of the area where the 4:3 window would be.

With the full source code I would think that could maybe be remedied in some way? Perhaps I am wrong though.

Anthony817 has received 4 thanks from: Arm Wrestler, Reprise, shredingskin, SledgeNE
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Reprise » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Ah that does kind of explain it. That's unfortunate, but I don't know if it can be avoided?
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby d3tAllan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:18 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Are you using uncompressed audio files?

I don't know, sorry. I'm a programmer on the project but don't do any of the audio.

d3tAllan has received a thanks from: Arm Wrestler
d3tAllan
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Thank you so much for your comments on the forums Allan.

If I can ask, have you been working on the project from the beginning, and if so, how did you guys feel when you heard that Shenmue would be your next project? Excited? Nervous? Are there any Shenmue fans at d3t?

Peter has received a thanks from: Telekill
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby James Brown » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Allen! It's really awesome to see a dev interacting with fans like this! You're a credit to the industry that you can be so down to earth like this! Thanks for all the hard work to yourself and the rest of the team, and thank you so much for bringing us the original Shenmue's back :D really hope we get a ton of new fans to the series, and caught up with plenty of time for Shenmue 3! All the best!

James Brown has received 2 thanks from: punkmanced, Telekill
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Gen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi Allan, the port is looking good! Will antialiasing or ambient occlusion be applied?
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Allan, I've something very important to tell you:

Yokosuka has received 6 thanks from: Anthony817, Jibby, KidMarine, Reprise, SledgeNE, Supa
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release