Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby shredingskin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 pm

khmlight3 wrote: I'm 17 and I know about it! And I told my friend he is 15 and is turning 16 next month he seems to like it!

BalHan wrote: I’m concerned that first-time players will judge the content of the game through the lens of today’s standards and the games won’t be well-received as a result.

I'd say that it's only a marginal group of SJW in polygon an resetera trying to get a pussy, but the world it's incredibly touchy these days:
*Added spoiler code as images were massive*

Still, there will always be a random group of people crying over something.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby khmlight3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 pm

shredingskin wrote:
khmlight3 wrote: I'm 17 and I know about it! And I told my friend he is 15 and is turning 16 next month he seems to like it!

BalHan wrote: I’m concerned that first-time players will judge the content of the game through the lens of today’s standards and the games won’t be well-received as a result.

I'd say that it's only a marginal group of SJW in polygon an resetera trying to get a pussy, but the world it's incredibly touchy these days:

Are you joking around? I should be allowed on here! I like the quote from the game but it's very rude to say that to me. Unless your joking :)
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Jibby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 am

khmlight3 wrote: Are you joking around? I should be allowed on here!

Lol, don't worry. You're good.

Jibby has received a thanks from: khmlight3
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tosh » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am

shredingskin wrote:

Haha, this is kind of funny but also really really sad that you have to apologize for something like this.
I mean ... its just a stupid little joke. Some will find it funny, some not, whatever ...
Why is it that nowadays every post, game, movie, tweet or whatever
has to be non judgemental / completely neutral in every topic?

But to say something about the HD thing -
i think its a really good time for it. Japanese things are way more common in the west nowadays.
We have this whole "weeb" and hentai topic nonesense, so there are a lot of people who know
what anime and all this stuff is. There are IRL live streams from Japan on Twitch with thousands of viewers.
We have well recieved games like Nioh, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Ni No Kuni ...
A lot of people are really interested in those things because its a nice alternation to
GTA, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed and so on.

I think its a good time to release Shenmue HD. Of course this is not for everyone,
but it can potentially reach a lot of people.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Reprise » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 am

Erm, to be honest, I think if you're a major multiplatform dedicated site, that should really remain fairly balanced and impartial, that that kind of post is probably rather unprofessional. It's hardly wise to post such content.

Reprise has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tosh » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:16 am

of course its not professional, but why does everything needs to be so humorless and neutral?

its just one stupid post with a picture. thats it. its not even about religion or politics,
its just about one game.
is it really worth it to rage about something like this for days and days.
does this affect your life in any way?
i dont know, i think people are triggered way too easy nowadays. if the rest of the posts are still 99% serious,
then whats the big deal. its not like you are forced to laugh about it,
if its not your thing you can just scroll down and look for something else.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Reprise » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 am

Erm no, it's nothing to do with what you or I or any normal consumer thinks. It's about retaining a certain level of professionalism with a major company and brand like Microsoft and Xbox that you should be working with. Not just that, in keeping with their standard content, but they should maintain a balanced view on the two consoles for their large audience. It's nothing to do with being "triggered" or "offended" (god I get bored of reading those accusations about everything in media). No one is either of those things. No one "raged for days". It's about professionalism. You might not get that, but you also, I'm going to guess, don't run a huge major media company.

I can laugh at it and I find it funny, because actually I'm a Sony and Playstation fan and don't own any Xbox consoles, but it's besides the point.

Reprise has received 2 thanks from: Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 am

Back on the topic at hand..

I'm still on the fence about a few things, but I feel a little better the more I read. We know they are 70(ish) percent complete, so the likelihood of us all playing Shenmue HD sooner than we thought is possible.

We still don't know a true reason of why Mr. Allan joined us. It could've been simple interaction and answering a few questions. I hope that no repercussions occurred from his appearance, because I doubt it was without some semblance of permission.

It could have also been to see what concerns everyone had so that they could spend some time in that last ~30% of development addressing what concerns or features we as fans are looking for, within reason.

I like the latter reasoning. Sega has been listening, so may be they are listening a bit more intently for this remaster.

The revelation of merchandise on the horizon tells me something big is coming for this series, mayhap this is the year of Shenmue as Cedric said.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: Reprise
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sappharad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Reprise wrote: Erm no, it's nothing to do with what you or I or any normal consumer thinks. It's about retaining a certain level of professionalism with a major company and brand like Microsoft and Xbox that you should be working with. Not just that, in keeping with their standard content, but they should maintain a balanced view on the two consoles for their large audience. It's nothing to do with being "triggered" or "offended" (god I get bored of reading those accusations about everything in media). No one is either of those things. No one "raged for days". It's about professionalism. You might not get that, but you also, I'm going to guess, don't run a huge major media company.

Another thing to mention is that they absolutely don't want to piss off Microsoft. IGN relies on Microsoft for early access to games (and consoles) so they can review them, and game coverage is what makes their business money. Companies can and have withheld early access to games and press events in the past when they weren't thrilled with the agency doing the reporting.

These aren't direct game industry examples, because I can't think of any off the top of my head, but two similar situations in recent memory are:
1. Disney blacklisted the LA Times (newspaper) from press screenings of movies so that they couldn't review them before release, because they published an article about how Disney donated millions of dollars to officials running for election in Anaheim in exchange for tax breaks and the ability to get some building permits that the candidates opposing them were against. They were only re-instated after other reviewers threatened to not review Disney movies as a result.
2. Apple stopped inviting Gizmodo to press events announcing new devices after they published the images of the famous iPhone 4 leak back in 2013.

In short, they can't bite the hand that feeds them.

Sappharad has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Reprise
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby redline » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 am

does anyone know if SHD will have motion blur during fighting game play, like shenmue 2-xbox?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Elevensixty » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm so glad we're getting a re-release (with slight updates) rather than a remake. Shenmue is beautiful and its quirks are important to the game.
I've never used time skip. To me the fun of Shenmue is the opposite of time skip.. its the immersive experience, I don't want to skip anything
As for graphics, its going to be better in some ways and worse in ways, I'm keeping expectations low.. and I'm pretty easy to please- I even like the terrible bloom lighting just for the nostalgia of playing it on xbox. Shenmue is awesome for its good and its quirky content (especially since you bought merchandise) and I'm looking forward new to new version having even more quirks, along with enhanced points too

Elevensixty has received a thanks from: Niowiad
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby punkmanced » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Honestly, the only “concern” I have at this point is that Yu Suzuki isn’t involved in these remasters.
Being the architect behind the entire saga, it’s a shame that, for a multitude of reasons, this wasn’t/ couldn’t be the case.

Hopefully, ___ years from now, when the Shenmue saga is completely over and modern times (popular demand?) call for a Shenmue remake, then things will be different. One can hope!

punkmanced has received a thanks from: dietsoap
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned that Suzuki isn't involved. It's not like they're making any changes to the actual game. They might be giving it a bit of a polish, but Suzuki's vision itself remains untouched. Remastering a game is a pretty generic process that he probably wouldn't be able to offer much to.

If they were doing a full remake though, then that would be a different story.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Yeah like Jibby said, i'm not worried about Yu Suzuki not being involved since these are essentially ports. And considering the images we've seen and the philosophy that Sega Europe/d3t is going for, they are making sure these ports are very faithful to the original and the original vision of Yu Suzuki.

After SOTC I actually would be much worried if say Bluepoint gave Shenmue the remake treatment. I remember the constant threads and articles talking about the design and visuals and art direction differing from the original, i much rather have the actual 100 percent original games/code and assets faithfully ported to make sure that YS vision isn't being meddle with. Hell, personally i wouldn't mind if these games were kept fully in 4:3 and with the original HUD but i know i'm on a minority even in here on that. :)

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Reprise
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby life_247 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 am

redline wrote: does anyone know if SHD will have motion blur during fighting game play, like shenmue 2-xbox?

Now the dev team have confirmed its a Shenmue II X-Box port I would expect so. They may do some work on some of the effects etc. but thus far it looks like a pretty direct port.
life_247

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release