No Time Skip In Shenmue I

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:10 am

Shenmue definitely isn't a game for everybody. I think the people who say that kind of thing aren't going to be fans of the game regardless of whether there is a time skip feature or not.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, staplepuffs27
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Just read some explanations (both here and in other sites) on why a Time Skip ("Wait" option) feature can not be implemented in Shenmue I, from a technical standpoint. I don't claim to be an expert nor I want to debate, but here's what I believe:

About the concerns that it will break the game (in technical terms, not aesthetic):
We have experience from the BETA 0.400. If you use the Debug Menu and in/de-crease time, things will indeed start to break.
However.
If we think how Shenmue II handles time skip we'll probably understand that it's not a big deal to make this to happen in Shenmue I, too.
The point is, every time ...time is increased/skipped, the game screen fades away and a cutscene/event starts. Basically, things are being reset.
Even in Shenmue I, when you do a Quick Save, and then you start/load the game again, things start from that specific time. So things has been reset, and start from the point of a specific time.

Therefore, Time Skip will work in Shenmue I, provided there's also a (hidden, that is only the devs can do it) Reset function, which takes account what time currently is.
And, if we think about it, there is already a Reset function, which indeed is being called (for example) after the end of a cutscene. So, the code for that already exists in Shenmue I.

tl;dr: Time Skip ("Wait" option) feature is feasible to be included in Shenmue I, because the code for both the 'time skip' and the 'reset function' (that is, put things to work again relative to a specific time) already exists.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Sounds to me like the PC version will be the “definitive” edition for people who want these features.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 am

Why would anyone want to rush through the first game with a Time Skip feature anyway? It felt like it was forced in Shenmue 2 due to reviews and/or feedback from the first title.
Personally, the Shenmue games were an experience to be soaked up. I had no issues wandering about waiting for a shop to open, or a cutscene to activate. It's one of the things I love most about the franchise infact.
Shenmue rewards with patience. That may upset some of todays gamers, but the formula shouldn't be changed to suit them.

Sonoshee has received 4 thanks from: James Brown, Reprise, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby myshtuff » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:13 am

^^ Is his neck stretched or is that what it's supposed to look like?
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 am

Sonoshee wrote: Why would anyone want to rush through the first game with a Time Skip feature anyway? It felt like it was forced in Shenmue 2 due to reviews and/or feedback from the first title.
Personally, the Shenmue games were an experience to be soaked up. I had no issues wandering about waiting for a shop to open, or a cutscene to activate. It's one of the things I love most about the franchise infact.
Shenmue rewards with patience. That may upset some of todays gamers, but the formula shouldn't be changed to suit them.

As you state in your final sentence, the slow pace of the game might not appeal to, and may even irritate, today's gamers and those who simply didn't play the game around the time of release. And you're 100% correct: the game should not be changed in order to suit them.

It was a design choice, not a flaw, so they'll just have to deal with it and instead of scratching their heads thinking why do I have to wait for things to happen?!, they should be thinking about what they can do within the world in order to pass the time. It's not like the world is devoid of anything to do, unlike many open-world games released over the past five or so years which present little more than a pretty backdrop peppered with animated assets, but that's a mindset they'll just have to step out of through dabbling in what's on offer in Shenmue.

ShenGCH has received 3 thanks from: Reprise, Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Concept of time skipping is to give the player the choice, not to force him to rush the party so I don't know what's the problem. I rarely used the time skipper in Shenmue 2 and I was happy with each of my decision. Shenmue is a game, not a museum piece. If they modernized the controls, there's no reason they can't implement the feature.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:10 pm

I personaly think it won't hurt to have the option of having the option. Make it like the Area Jump, with a choice in the settings if you want it or never want to see it and make it disabled by default (again just like Area Jump).
Everyone happy.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:09 pm

There are lots of modern games that don't appease and buy into the 'modern gamers want everything handed on a plate' trope and feature "archaic" style mechanics, albeit in a different manner to Shenmue. Demon/Dark Souls, Volgarr the Viking, Nier Automata and Xenoblade Chronicles X to a lesser extent. I'm sure there are others. Timing and schedules are a core mechanic of Shenmue and it is part of its charm. If a couple of 14 year olds brought up on a diet of CoD and cliched cinematic action games don't 'get it' or understand why they should have to wait 10 or 20 minutes (and subsequently find other things to do) for a shop or bar to open, then honestly f*** them.

Reprise has received 3 thanks from: KidMarine, Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby dietsoap » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Reprise wrote: There are lots of modern games that don't appease and buy into the 'modern gamers want everything handed on a plate' trope and feature "archaic" style mechanics, albeit in a different manner to Shenmue. Demon/Dark Souls, Volgarr the Viking, Nier Automata and Xenoblade Chronicles X to a lesser extent. I'm sure there are others. Timing and schedules are a core mechanic of Shenmue and it is part of its charm. If a couple of 14 year olds brought up on a diet of CoD and cliched cinematic action games don't 'get it' or understand why they should have to wait 10 or 20 minutes (and subsequently find other things to do) for a shop or bar to open, then honestly f*** them.

Plus, and I'm not taking a hard stance on what dt3 should do one way or the other, but sometimes being forced to do things you wouldn't normally do makes for a more enjoyable experience in the long run.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby James Brown » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 pm

dietsoap wrote:Plus, and I'm not taking a hard stance on what dt3 should do one way or the other, but sometimes being forced to do things you wouldn't normally do makes for a more enjoyable experience in the long run.

Definitely agree! With a time skip it's so easy to just agree with it to move the story on, but the beauty of Shenmue lies in the mundane. You'll find ways to pass the time by chatting to random NPC's, and have unique conversations with certain character at different parts of the game. You get to appreciate NPC's and Ryo as a character through their interactions, tid-bits from NPC's lives and profiles, back stories, and just general interesting exchanges. This game is more than just a story with a means to an end, so i'm personally against a time skipping option, it just makes it too easy for people to just say "yes" even if it's optional. Like in Shenmue 2, it asks you if you want to wait or not, but it's just so tempting to just press "wait" so you end up missing alot of those added interactions with the other characters that Yu originally added.

James Brown has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, Sonoshee
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I wouldn't have minded a time skip in the original just to make replays a little quicker, but to be honest if first time players can't find something to do or somewhere to explore in that downtime, the series probably isn't for them.

Even in II where we do have the time skip feature, if a player decides to absolutely not engage in any of the side activities or learn the game world layout; they're getting a lesser experience as a result and that's completely on them.

"If you can't handle me at my looking for sailors, you don't deserve me at my Yellow Head building" - so goes the worst/best meme.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: myshtuff, Reprise, Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release