PS Vita version

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

PS Vita version

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:48 am

I don't want to seem like I'm being picky. We've already got what we asked for and I'm happy for that. But just imagine a PS Vita version. I know it flopped a bit, but I still use mine. Playing Shenmue on plane or in a car would be amazing. Wouldn't it?
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: PS Vita version

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:00 am

Would be cool but sadly unlikely. Higher chance for a Switch version tbh and even that isn't on the carts.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Haruto » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:56 am

Vita is dead. Switch killed what little life was left in it. At least you can remote play it.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby redline » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 am

ive always thought shenmue 1/2 and future releases with dreamcast graphics would have worked perfectly on a handheld console.. probably even dominating that area of gaming.. nothing is impossible but i highly doubt that is going to happen now.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kyo_JP » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 am

The console is no longer sold in some countries, for example in Spain, so I think that a port to the Vita could not be profitable
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:19 am

Hey OP, I know it's not the solution but assuming that you own a PS4 console: remote play works pretty well and I imagine the game to support it (like most ps4 titles within custom controls etc) I know it means you'd have to be around the house (unless remote play works for vita 3G models? I imagine that experience wouldn't be desirable) but as long as your within the vicinity of your ps4 it should work quite well.

I think the last vita game sega released was valkyria revolution (which performed poorly on there, both technically and commercially) so onwards with releases like vc4/vc1 they seem to be moving support towards the switch instead.

Worth bearing in mind though that as vita's main market is japan and that s1&2 are being developed by sega europe (primary for the west) it's unlikely to receive a native version.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Jibby » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am

If I recall correctly, the nightly builds of Reicast for Android are pretty stable with both the first and second game, so portable Shenmue isn't a complete impossibility.

The only portable platform I could realistically see the remastered version working on though is the Switch. The Vita is dead and I don't think the 3DS would be able to handle it.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:12 am

Neat idea, but that system is essentially dead I believe...one would assume that you could Remote Play SHD?

That's about as close as one will get there.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:19 am

Ok... not happening. From my perspective, the PSV died as soon as it stopped getting western releases back in 2014. It died almost as quickly as the beloved Dreamcast. Just without as many great games.

I have been with Playstation since Christmas 1995. I bought and loved my PSP. I sold my PSP when PSV was announced because it was supposed to be an improvement. The tech in the PSV was incredible and the first year was very promising. Games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Walking Dead, etc, etc.

Then not even Sony would support it anymore.

It's a colossal waste of tech and I will never EVER buy another handheld from Sony. Even if Shenmue did find it's way to the ghosted handheld, I wouldn't even bother. The only reason I still have mine is because Uncharted Golden Abyss hasn't been ported to the PS4... yet.

What a waste.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Vita was great for Japanese games, though. Which was the lifeblood of the PS1 and PS2. Some really underrated and really overlooked games on it!

But yeah, Vita is well and truly done for now, even Japanese devs are swapping over to Switch and Phone games to create these kinds of games (mid tier or lower budget games).

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Haruto
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ShenSun » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:41 pm

remote play allows this, doesn't it?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:51 pm

ShenSun wrote: remote play allows this, doesn't it?

Yes, but there are issues.
1. You have to be within a certain distance of the PS4. What Sony promised with being able to play your PS4 games from a hotel room across the country doesn't work. I've tried and yes, my PS4 was in standby/sleep mode.
2. Connectivity issues. I often have lag or other connectivity issues where the connection drops entirely. This is even from 5 feet away from the PS4.
3. The controls are always horrible. I mean... seriously... horrible. This is primarily due to a lack of a second set of shoulder buttons.

Given how dead the PSV has been the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony backtracked on having remote play as mandatory on PS4 games anymore.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby dietsoap » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:38 pm

I would've absolutely loved that. I'm probably going to playing almost all of SHD through remote play on my Vita.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby blueswirl » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:11 am

Would be fitting if Shenmue HD releases on PS Vita because we would have Shenmue running on PowerVR hardware again :D

Another solution for portable Shenmue HD is to play the Steam version on the GPD Win (2).
blueswirl
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:24 am

blueswirl wrote: Would be fitting if Shenmue HD releases on PS Vita because we would have Shenmue running on PowerVR hardware again :D

Another solution for portable Shenmue HD is to play the Steam version on the GPD Win (2).

Ha, good point! Didn't even think of that. I've never heard of this GPD Win thing either, looks really cool. I think I may end up grabbing one if I can find a way to test out the ergonomics first.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release