Release Date Speculation

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

When will Shenmue 1&2 HD release in 2018? (Total votes: 76)

April - June
9%
July - September
36%
October - December
55%

Re: Release Date Speculation

Postby Sappharad » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:50 pm

punkmanced wrote: Pre-orders in the US all list the release date as Dec 31, 2018.
Placeholder?

Yes, Dec 31st the the placeholder date that companies use when an official date is not confirmed.

As someone pointed out at Resetera, NewEgg shows June 26th as the release date. With Sega already having announced other physical games for July and August, June and September both seem like feasible options if they don't want to compete with themselves.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Haruto » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Hoping it's after September. Too many games to buy already.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 pm

September would be most ideal if they are taking fan feedback and incorporating requested features.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Haruto » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:10 am

Valascaziel wrote: September would be most ideal if they are taking fan feedback and incorporating requested features.

I don't know about that. September is crowded with Spider-Man,Dragon Quest XI,Tomb Raider and other big hitters. Shenmue would get lost in all that.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Surprised so many think it's so late into the year...nobody thinks that would be too late if Shenmue 3 is releasing in Winter as well? Or is everyone thinking 3 is getting delayed again into early next year?

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, GYO6161
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:46 pm

I feel S3 will be delayed to 2019 but im hoping for the june-august range. Things get too packed later in the year.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby dietsoap » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Surprised so many think it's so late into the year...nobody thinks that would be too late if Shenmue 3 is releasing in Winter as well? Or is everyone thinking 3 is getting delayed again into early next year?

I fully expect S3 to be delayed to next year. To be honest I'd be extremely worried if they didn't delay it considering how little of the game they've shown so far.

That being said, I fully expect an earlier release of SHD regardless. SHD contains 2 very big games and many people haven't played them, the more space they can put between the release of SHD and S3 the better imo.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Centrale wrote: D3T Allen mentioned that he thought development had progressed a bit more than the 70% quoted in the Famitsu article, so I'm inclined to think the release date will be closer to E3 than to the end of the year. Of course that aligns quite well with my own wishful thinking, as I'd love to be playing this all summer.

I think it's likely too, here are a few reasons why I think so:

- They'll be some distance expected between this and Shenmue 3 (unless Shenmue 3's release changes and so 1&2 changes along with it, which of course is possible but things do appear locked-in right now)
- MegaDrive Classics was announced in mid-March (at SXSW) and it releases 2 and a half months after that announcement
- The same managers/developers involved with the Megadrive Classics were also involved with Shenmue 1 and 2
- HECK both MD Classics and Shenmue 1 and 2 have free bundled posters!
- Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, which was managed by SEGA Europe who are also overseeing management for Shenmue 1 and 2 (but not developed by D3T) according to IGN. It was also announced and released within a 2 month window (and also contained a free poster lol)
- Preorders properly setup up and running almost everywhere (although it can't have a shadow-dropped release on E3 stage like some speculate because that can't logistically work that way now that it's an item people are aware of and preordered by many)
- The game has progressed very far in development
- SEGA has a release for every month this year from now till September, except June. People would often point out that June is a bad time for releasing games ('cause "people are off to the beach!") but it's only really applicable for major releases, not the likes of remasters like this with low store inventory volume expected, with Crash doing exceptionally well last year during the early summer).

To me, that's certainly how things are looking right now. Obviously this is my speculation interpreting the info that's out there and it's all subject to change at a moments notice (just like yakuza 6, which was moved into the new fiscal year) and maybe things are different with project now because of preorders numbers + feedback on features they might be willing to reassess and re-evaluate it's launch.

But doing so doesn't give them too much room unless they really push the date far out beyond Dec (which doesn't make too much sense with the way they've marketed it) and I don't think that this is the sort of product they're going to hype and roll out info for months and months before launch (based on deepsilver's tweets).They'll likely continue to talk about it on twitter etc when the game is already out and chime in on the Shenmue 3 buzz etc to promote this.

I think in this case: we've come to expect a predictable enough pattern from them, with further reinforces that the newegg.com date of late June has some truth to it, and no one's come out to disprove that either.)

Obviously I'd love it sooner as we all do, but in the event that it is really far out: that's absolutely fine, I'd rather this (knowing that the game is confirmed for release at some point in 2018) then seeing them shadow-dropping the game later in the year and for most of us to be ignorant to this info.

Also, I totally see them having some time to fix stuff for late June, as they basically have until late May to go gold and start manufacturing discs. But yeah: my flagchips are placed on the end of June! It's very likely we will know more around E3 (but not necessarily on stage).

P.S. Apologies if my post got carried-away, I'm well aware that it all comes across as confirmation-bias :-"

P.P.S. It's worth nothing that valkyria remastered and sega megadrive classics had their released dates announced at launch iirc where shenmue 1 and 2 doesn't BUT it will likely coincide with similar big news (pertaining to shenmue 3) just as Riku previously mentioned.

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: GYO6161
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Jibby » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:42 pm

I do wish that SEGA would just come out with the release date already. According to Adam Koralik it's already locked down so I'm not sure why they're being so secretive about it, especially since it's coming out this year.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Reprise
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Jibby wrote: I do wish that SEGA would just come out with the release date already. According to Adam Koralik it's already locked down so I'm not sure why they're being so secretive about it, especially since it's coming out this year.

imo the fact that there isn't a definitive release date yet (which compared to sega europe's prior remasters is quite irregular to do so) seems promising more than anything, I think it could be coinciding with more positive Shenmue-related news/features/announcements... or at the very least, get us all hyped up about 1&2 again (although yes, it is a little hard to deal with the quieter days now hahaha the news still has me really revved up)

-----------------------------

One other thing I forgot to mention from above: the price being locked down (and with retailers price-cutting each other etc) isn't something that typically happens if the game is many months away from release.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Ceej » Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 am

I contacted Newegg Support to see if they'll confirm if there release date is a placeholder or not...I'll let you know when I hear back.

Ceej has received a thanks from: dietsoap
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Tue May 01, 2018 9:57 am

Jibby wrote: I do wish that SEGA would just come out with the release date already. According to Adam Koralik it's already locked down so I'm not sure why they're being so secretive about it, especially since it's coming out this year.

To me, it almost looks like they are waiting for a special occasion before announcing the release date.
Could be an event like E3 with a new, polished trailer or/and an opportunity to be under the spotlight with Shenmue 3.

Personally, I would love to see SEGA and Yu Suzuki share the stage at a big event. That would be some great marketing and synergy!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue May 01, 2018 10:11 am

Sega was probably waiting to see the reaction to the announcement before deciding when to announce the release date. If it didn’t perform well they would have probably just announced it on Twitter. With the wild success of the preorder on Amazon and likely other places too, both Sega and Sony will want to showcase Shenmue 3 and HD at E3 during Sony’s presentation.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tosh » Tue May 01, 2018 12:00 pm

well, i guess if they dont tell us the release date until the second or third week of may,
then the release date is probably not in june because it does take some time to ship the physical editions
to all the warehouses, shops and so on.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Don't get too carried away thinking about E3, guys.

Might have worked if Sony were directly involved in I & II and they hadn't already been revealed, but neither are true in this case. The surprise factor is gone, and it seems to be a project driven by SEGA.

Same goes for III, but for different reasons.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release