No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

Postby Telekill » Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 am

As anyone on this forum knows, if you backed Shenmue 3 for a certain amount, you were supposed to eventually gain access to a playable demo on PC. I believe we've reached a point where we may realistically not get that demo.

You know what?

I would be fine with not getting the demo.

We've had the year delay. We're maybe six months from a possible release to the game and there has been no word on the demo or any backer items for that matter. I trust that we'll get the other backer items, but I don't see the demo as being something that they'll deliver.

How would you react to not getting the demo for Shenmue 3?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

Postby KidMarine » Sun May 13, 2018 11:11 am

I had zero intention of playing the demo at all.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby badamn » Sun May 13, 2018 11:38 am

They should release the demo along with 1&2,that would b perfect
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Riku Rose » Sun May 13, 2018 11:48 am

All I Have is a laptop that wouldn’t be able to run it in a million years so I couldn’t care less about a demo unless they plan to do one on consoles. Even then I doubt I’d play it, I was more excited for Final Fantasy XV then I am for Shenmue III and avoided the demo for that so that I could go in fresh.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Spaghetti » Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Not sure if it was brought up at MAGIC this year, but the trial version was touched on really briefly at Gamescom when Famitsu talked to Yu:

Q: I'm curious about the timing of the scheduled distribution of the trial version [reward] to backers...?

YS: Regarding the trial version, I'd like to spend time considering the best form for it to take. Ideally, I'd like it to be something along the lines of the trial version for Shenmue I.

So as of last August the intention to do it still seems to be there, and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more in a couple months. As priorities go though, clearly the main game is more important and work on the trial version will probably not happen until systems and content start locking down and VO sessions begin.

As a hypothetical, if it didn't happen I wouldn't be too burned even though I did intend to play it. If they didn't do it, there must have been a reason. I don't think a lot of other people would take a live-and-let-live approach to it though, it'd be easy fodder for clickbait games journalism, angry YouTubers, forum posters, whatever. A lot of people would conveniently forget Kickstarter pledges are donations and reward fulfilment is subject to best efforts, and treat it like people have been scammed or tricked out of money/a promised item.

Even if absolutely in the best interests of the game and team to cancel the trial version, the PR repercussions would be fierce no matter how carefully and considerately the situation is explained. It's a catch 22, and I hope Ys Net doesn't find themselves in this position.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun May 13, 2018 1:42 pm

The Shenmue 3 page would crash Kickstarter for a second time.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Kiske
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby James Brown » Sun May 13, 2018 4:23 pm

If there is still going to be a trial version of the game I like the idea of doing what they did with Shenmue 1, where it had no bearing on the actual story, or spoilt the game, just a completely separate entity to familiarize with controls, style of the game. I guess if it is like What's Shenmue...they could be a potential "spoiler" in terms of seeing a location already, or a QTE where someone like "Jimmy" is changed to "Yukawa", but on the surface, i'd actually be happy to play that, especially if it helps with "testing" or fan feedback.

James Brown has received 2 thanks from: Elevensixty, Sonoshee
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Niowiad » Sun May 13, 2018 6:53 pm

KidMarine wrote: I had zero intention of playing the demo at all.

Same here, in all honesty.
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby darksniper » Sun May 13, 2018 11:50 pm

I don't care about the demo either. I'd rather just wait for when I can play the full game
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 am

I actually care having it, not for playing it per se but as the ownership of a physical copy for keepsake or its sale to some collector.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 am

sand4fish wrote: I actually care having it, not for playing it per se but as the ownership of a physical copy for keepsake or its sale to some collector.

The backer trial is almost certainly a digital download.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon May 14, 2018 10:28 am

There will be a demo in a way or another in my opinion.

As pointed out by Let's Get Sweaty, it's part of a Kickstarter reward and not releasing it would just cause a massive riot on the Shenmue 3 page. :(

I've looked briefly at the comments on the Kickstarter page this morning after weeks of just ignoring them and it's frightening. People (maybe just a couple of very vocal lunatic, I don't know) threatening to sue YsNet because there are not enough updates or relevant updates in their opinion... ](*,)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 14, 2018 11:11 am

Kiske wrote:(maybe just a couple of very vocal lunatic, I don't know)

That's the KS comments to a tee. The lunatics started running the asylum there a long, long time ago.

I'd say they're best ignored, but it's actually a fucking travesty that the place where the Shenmue III project basically started has been overrun by nutcases.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 am

Spaghetti wrote:
sand4fish wrote: I actually care having it, not for playing it per se but as the ownership of a physical copy for keepsake or its sale to some collector.

I'd be very disappointed if they forgo any of the promised rewards for those who payed for it.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 am

sand4fish wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

I'd be very disappointed if they forgo any of the promised rewards for those who payed for it.

The line you underscored pertains to the fullgame, read the sentence right underneath it.

FlagshipFighter has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Next

Return to Shenmue III