Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 am

asdfguy wrote: More time also means more cost if I remember correctly. If they run out of money before 2019, then there is going to be issues with releasing the game.

That's what the publisher is for.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 am

I'd be more preocuppied if they stuck to a 2018 release.

Appart from some nice locations we have not seen anything "release worthy" for a commercial game.

Maybe they were playing coy in the same vein of YS "downgrade button", but really, all we have seen in movement was pretty half baked.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 am

We haven't seen a second of gameplay, so I'm not too surprised. I'm happy they're still working hard on the game and in no need to rush it.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby gillian_seed » Wed May 16, 2018 9:45 am

Looks like it's a publisher's decision, which is perfect to me. If Deep Silver is taken control, then we can expect that the game will meet higher standards.

gillian_seed has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, VukBZ2005
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Supa » Wed May 16, 2018 9:51 am

I'm fine, knowing Yu Suzuki's commitment to quality. As much as I'd love to have the game sooner, patience is a virtue.

But if they don't show at E3 this year...I think it will be quite disastrous.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby adom11800 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 am

^I agree. At first I was pretty bummed about this but if it's for the best then so be it. It's definitely a good thing that the game is being polished to detail, making it the best it can be. We aren't just getting Shenmue 3 but the game in the best quality. I just really hope they show just a little bit of gameplay at E3 to ease the pain, hopefully a Shenmue I&II HD release date announcement too. If they don't show the game at E3 this year then the hype will start to wither. I think Shenmue III will be out early March 2019.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SledgeNE » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sad: :sad:

Edit: I can understand the delay. But the year began good. I looking forward to Shenmue I and II HD. :D
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am

I'm pretty glad how the community has handled this without much fuss.

Seems most of the saltiness is coming from game journos and games forum/Twitter posters looking to be a bit edgy.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Wed May 16, 2018 10:41 am

I do think that Deep Silver's addition changed the scope of the game. That kind of reworking was never going to meet a 2018 release date.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby VukBZ2005 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 am

You know, this pushback makes having a save file transfer from the remake to III a possibility. Of course, I doubt that's going to happen. Both the remake & III have been on different dev schedules. However, that would be a dream come true.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am

mrandyk wrote: I do think that Deep Silver's addition changed the scope of the game. That kind of reworking was never going to meet a 2018 release date.

We knew that from last year the game would expand based on Deep Silver's input, but that theoretically was built into the delay to 2nd half 2018. Maybe they bit off more than they could chew, but maybe Deep Silver is happy to keep investing to flesh the game out further.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Technophilz » Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am

I wanted to say something positive about this expected release delay, but I simply couldn't.
Of course, some will be fine and happy with it, and some will always be fine with anything actually. I'm not one of them though.

Imho, delaying the game again to 2019 is NOT a good thing, yes, the game will have a longer development time to get more polished, but I'm definitely not fine with the “2019” delay for many reasons:

1- 2019 will probably be the final year in the life cycle of current-gen consoles, rumors say that PS5 dev kits are already in the hands of some developers, and next-gen titles could be announced (or even released) as early as holidays 2019. Now, what would be the impact of the delayed Shenmue III if/when that happens?

2- Timing this "update" a month before E3 could mean that they may have nothing to show at E3, another missed mass exposure opportunity maybe? especially that they didn’t show any new material with the delay announcement, not even a single new screenshot! If this turns out to be the case, then it’d clearly highlight a lot of problems this project has been having. Being unable to show a satisfactory trailer or gameplay demo after three years of development is never a good sign.

3- The vague 2019 release date, without an estimated release window is yet another indication that things aren't going smooth, that could also mean they’re not confident/transparent enough to commit to a clear release window, maybe because they know they’d probably miss it again.

4- Deep Silver could be the best thing that ever happened to Shenmue III since the grand announcement back at E3 2015, and I don't think this project could have even been possible without them on board. But, what about the future of Shenmue? We all know any future Shenmue project will certainly depend on how well Shenmue III will perform (financially). This game HAS to sell very well, we all know that it has no other option but to be profitable, but will it sell well enough to guarantee us another Shenmue?

Technophilz has received a thanks from: Reprise
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Jibby » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 am

First you complain that the game doesn't look good enough for you, then you complain that they're taking more time to improve it.

Absolutely impossible to please. You cannot have it both ways.

Jibby has received 5 thanks from: darksniper, James Brown, Sonoshee, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 am

^ Jesus this is stretching even for you.

Edit - aimed at Technophilz (of course)

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby adom11800 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am

If the game isn't shown at E3 then that is seriously bad. We don't get an update for weeks and then they say 'Sorry, the game is being delayed until 2019.' I'm not expecting anything big at E3 but it's gonna make a huge difference if it is.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: Reprise
adom11800

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III