New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Shenmue 3 images from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Postby Valascaziel » Thu May 17, 2018 5:40 am

What exactly does pre-alpha mean? We're still seeing outdated things, despite the upgrades?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 am

gillian_seed wrote: All three look different:

The Shenhua of January seems for me more advanced than the Shenhua of the THQ video but doesn't have the embroidering in the blouse (whatever it's called) this one has and the hair is different too, it's confussing..
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Kiske » Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 am

What about Ryo? To me, he looks like the model we saw at MAGIC 2018.

About Shenhua... I'm definitely *in love* with that model. The detail of her outfit is beautiful! :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby BlueMue » Thu May 17, 2018 6:04 am

I'm a bit confused. Why was this shown at a THQ presentation and why didn't they include these in the Kickstarter update?

Anyway the new material looks great. Models keep and keep improving and while Shenhua still doesn't match her classic look she now looks really adorable.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 am

The thirst just got so much more real. E3 or Gamescom has to have something.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jibby » Thu May 17, 2018 6:29 am

Peter wrote: The thirst just got so much more real. E3 or Gamescom has to have something.

I'd be hesitant to say E3, but I think Gamescom might have some exciting stuff in store for us.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 am

Peter wrote:Holy hell, now THATS Shenhua!

This was exactly how I felt as soon as I saw the new model. The sense of grace, expression etc... I honestly hope this is the final model, or something very much like it!
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 am

"Shenua"

Wasn't expecting to wake up to this but it's a nice little surprise. Shenhua's model looks great, the small look at the house in Bailu looked super detailed, everything that was "new" looked improved over last year.

Just eyeballing it though, I think the footage is old. Compared to the MAGIC shots Ryo and the little girl are missing the highlighting effect in the hair you can see in these screens:

But of course, they could just be lost thanks to the res of the stream/different lighting conditions etc, but it wouldn't be the first time Ys Net has used old footage. Even if it is "up to date", the caveat that it's Alpha guarantees changes and given the improvements already seen we should expect that to continue.

Am I hearing the guy on the podium right that the next time they talk about the schedule for the game it'll have a release date? Niceeeeee.

Interesting to note the video was letterboxed while some others on the stream weren't. Return of the black bars for cutscenes maybe? I'd be down with that. I liked them in Shenmue II because of the real cinematic flair they gave.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Kiske
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 am

I think if this game had had a traditional development cycle (i.e. no Kickstarter, early updates etc.), the first we would have likely seen of it is something similar to the video from that THQ Nordic presentation, a year or so from release, and people would have been less harsh on the game than they have been until now. I wouldn't be surprised or too disappointed if it's a late 2019 game, and I'm really happy with the improvement in the character models, hats off to Lakshya Digital!
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby KidMarine » Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am

Shenhua's new model really reminds me of the way she looked in the Shenmue Online trailer. Wish I could find a decent image...
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am

Valascaziel wrote: What exactly does pre-alpha mean? We're still seeing outdated things, despite the upgrades?

The "new" stuff is actually listed as Alpha in the video, with the exception of the Ryo & Shenhua walking shot which I think was mistakenly listed as Pre-Alpha.

Alpha basically means the software is in a working state with the core features implemented, but not completely and is still subject to potentially heavy revision in function or content.

Pre-Alpha is a step before that. Still functional but more of an embryonic stage of what later becomes Alpha.

Pre-Alpha and Alpha are generally where the game gets "created". Beta is the step after, and by that point you're dealing with a 90% complete game for the most part where bugs get squashed and fine-tuning takes place.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 17, 2018 8:07 am

Sorry for the double post but:

I love how this looks so much. So many details in this one shot, on both the environments and the characters.

The Guilin mountains in the background, the basket drying on the roof, the wing chun dummy, all the statues outside the house, the foliage, the drying rack, the electricity wires hanging slackly from the pole (which has gone askew thanks to subsidence in the ground), the little girl playing in the dirt, the old man doing martial arts warm ups (and check out his patchwork clothes, including a hole in his shoe!), the treads on Ryo's shoes...

This is Shenmue. 110%.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Sonoshee
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 am

The video clip of the Shenmue 3 segment from the presentation has been added to the OP. Thanks to Spaghetti for the editing!

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Centrale, Kiske, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby The_Intruder » Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 am

Wow I am amazed looking at the new screenshots. The little girls looks so cool laying on the ground I really want to see a trailer at E3 if is possible.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 am

Woah she looks amazing.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss