Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Predictable. More than money, YS needs an actual AAA sized team to achieve AAA standards.

If SEGA were smart and seeing how the HD remakes are already flying out of the shelves before they even get on the dam shelves... They would help out with man power.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Wed May 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Lakshya was brought in to help with the expanded scope in NPCs and characters. I seem to recall a small snippet where the development team has increased.

It could be larger than we think now.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Spaghetti wrote:I personally wouldn't read into it

So YS was right thinking that people can't read manuscript

It says SHENMUE

\:D/
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby The_Intruder » Wed May 16, 2018 6:06 pm

I was expecting a delay after watching Magic Monaco 2018. It don't bother me but I hope the game gets release in the first quarter of 2019. Atleast we have Shenmue 1 and 2 HD this year to play.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 6:36 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Predictable. More than money, YS needs an actual AAA sized team to achieve AAA standards.

AAA Shenmue is never happening again, bar a private investor literally giving Yu Suzuki something crazy like $100 million, with no expectation of return.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Elevensixty » Wed May 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Predictable. More than money, YS needs an actual AAA sized team to achieve AAA standards.

AAA Shenmue is never happening again, bar a private investor literally giving Yu Suzuki something crazy like $100 million, with no expectation of return.

Hey 1&2 re release= AAA old school! ;D

Elevensixty has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, Spaghetti
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I was already expecting this because Yu-san isn't type to just release anything, he is indeed a perfectionist. Probably sleeping in the office like the old days at SEGA.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
If SEGA were smart and seeing how the HD remakes are already flying out of the shelves before they even get on the dam shelves... They would help out with man power.

I have had similar thoughts, but Sega making an appearance in the middle of development probably isnt a good idea, nor efficient and would cause further delays while the organization gets sorted, plus Sega probably still wants to see how well Shenmue III actually sells, I predict if they support the future of the franchise, it will be with Shenmue IV.

Second point, the delays gives more time for new supporters to back the project (which btw tweet days and what not need to be organized around and after launch of the HD collections as soon as we have a date for them) so we can hopefully generate some new backers for Shenmue III once HD collection releases, hopefully thats the boost that Yu needs. Also it gives more time for them to make the cash needed to send out all the backer goodies which is about the only thing at this point that I see that could go wrong, they announce the backer tiers arent going to be exactly what they initially thought and they down grade them significantly.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Valascaziel wrote: Lakshya was brought in to help with the expanded scope in NPCs and characters. I seem to recall a small snippet where the development team has increased.

It could be larger than we think now.

The Shenmue 3 Lakysha team consists of approximately 30 game artists, namely 3D character art. In Japan I would estimate another 50-55 staff comprised primarily from YSNEt and Neilo staff, as well as various local contractors. This would would bring the team size to approximately 80-85 members, far smaller than the 175 member Shenmue 2 team, but still very capable at that. As an example, the highly acclaimed Shadow of the Colossus PS4 remake was achieved by a team of 80 staff spread between Bluepoint Studios and SIE Japan Studio.

As far quality is concerned, my sense from Yu Suzuki based on past interviews is that Shenmue 3 will be his most personal and intimate game in the series. I believe that we are in for something quite special.

WildManofBorneo has received a thanks from: darksniper
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BigTuna » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Totally expected. A 2020 release wouldn’t surprise me at this rate. Which is ok.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Kirino_Matsuyama » Thu May 17, 2018 8:16 am

Nice to see everybody is so positive. I saw the IGN video and they said it will be delayed as a negative.

I can't wait to play Shenmue III, but for me this means that we will get a better quality game, so I'm happy about it.
Kirino_Matsuyama
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby celsowm » Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 am

WildManofBorneo wrote: This would would bring the team size to approximately 80-85 members, far smaller than the 175 member Shenmue 2 team, but still very capable at that.

I remember a interview with Yu saying that took a considerable amount of time to programming the telephones "cord" in assembler to optimize the resources in Dreamcast instead using "c".
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby newyokohama » Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am

celsowm wrote:I remember a interview with Yu saying that took a considerable amount of time to programming the telephones "cord" in assembler to optimize the resources in Dreamcast instead using "c".

Wow, I remember this also. We probably also need to factor in the staff's knowledge of the Unreal Engine, and how the engine itself is in active development and always changing with new feature sets that the staff might like to incorporate.

Good news is that once all this game architecture is completed, that makes further games x% closer to completion just by association.
newyokohama

Currently playing: Catchup

Postby Gen » Thu May 17, 2018 12:19 pm

I was expecting, and hoping for a delay.
Gen

Postby LucBu » Thu May 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Don't worry, Yu Suzuki's got this.

Even if it's the last console game on the PS4 it'll be great.

I genuinely think Shenmue 3 is going to be surprisingly good. Even the detractors will have to pause.
LucBu

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III