No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

Postby Riku Rose » Sat May 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Haruto wrote: I don't think Shenmue is the type of game that demo's very well. Some games don't. Dragon's Dogma doesn't,Wonderful 101 doesn't. All great games but not something you really get the hang of in a demo imo.

It doesn't really matter as the only people who will have access to the demo have already bought the game so it's not like it will put people off buying it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby newyokohama » Wed May 23, 2018 9:33 am

I do have fond memories of old PSX demos changing my life, the Jampacks, the Green and Purple "PlayStation Picks" discs, not to mention the FFVII demo and things like that. I think a demo can have a lasting effect on its own. It's not usually just a slice of the game too, often it's specifically crafted to have a definitive end for the demo player. That being said, will I play it? I'm not sure, because in this case, we know the game is coming, so I'm not sure there is really a punch there.
newyokohama
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Catchup

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm

I think if Yu plans to use this demo to alpha/beta-test the game in order to receive some feedback for further refinement and polishing: it could contribute to their development positively. I don't own a powerful PC but i already made arrangements with friends to lend me their high-end gaming laptops for a bit so I can play this once it releases.

I don't think he needs to go out of his way by making the content unique of representative of the final game, but if he wants it like What's Shenmue: I imagine he will to some extent as first impressions are important (demo or otherwise, especially is the release is some time away).

As long as he can take steps to ensure no spoilery stuff can be mined out of it (as you've already mentioned) and can use it to improve the final build i think it'll be worth his time. Otherwise if he decided against it I wouldn't blame him (although I imagine he'll follow through regardless since he wouldn't want to upset those at the $100 tier...)
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Yama » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 pm

I don't even want a demo, unless it was more like a "What's Shenmue" thing. Last thing I want after a lifetime of waiting is to spoil any of Shenmue 3 by playing the non final product. That day will be a sacred day for me and the final product is close enough.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:52 am

If I remember correctly, Suzuki said the demo would be something similar as What's Shenmue.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Previous

Return to Shenmue III