new huber hype talking about shenmue.
Aimless Gamer
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: Aimless Gamer
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby celsowm » Sun May 20, 2018 8:56 am

Will Sega include Ryo Hazuki in this new game too?

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/05/17/seg ... aks-early/
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon May 21, 2018 5:41 am

Take these leaks as a grain of salt. Though... Shenmue 3 presentation and gameplay would be awesome.

*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:55 am

Wasn't this fake? Or Am I confusing this with other game list that appeared some days ago?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 am

Yes it's the same list as in the thread we had a few days ago.

It looks fake as fuck, and I'm pretty sure it's been debunked by people more knowledgeable about what information people working for the ESA do/don't get to know about press conferences.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Warhorse Studios raised $2,002,547 USD from crowdfunding for Kingdom Come: Deliverance. However development totalled $36,500,000 USD, meaning that Deep Silver provided $34.5 Million in funding.

Shenmue 3 has now raised more than triple the amount of Kingdom Come Deliverance (nearly $7,000,000 USD). I’d be curious to know the funding being contributed to Shenmue 3 by Deep Silver.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Warhorse had another financial contributor providing millions before they ever reached Kickstarter, and apparently continued to chip in on funds even afterwards. The amount Deep Silver put in was unknown.

It's kind of apples and oranges anyway considering the disparity in studio burn rate based on the location of these studios and the amount of developers they house.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby darksniper » Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote: Warhorse Studios raised $2,002,547 USD from crowdfunding for Kingdom Come: Deliverance. However development totalled $36,500,000 USD, meaning that Deep Silver provided $34.5 Million in funding.

Shenmue 3 has now raised more than triple the amount of Kingdom Come Deliverance (nearly $7,000,000 USD). I’d be curious to know the funding being contributed to Shenmue 3 by Deep Silver.

If Shenmue III comes close to that number or even matches Kingdom Come, then this would mean that part III alone will have close to the same amount or slightly less funding that I and II did if we're going by Yu Suzuki's (not Sega's) estimate with the first two games at 47 million.

In other words Shenmue III is getting that AAA treatment and I couldn't be any more excited if that's the case.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silver all have contributed money alongside the Kickstarter funds. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sega have quietly put a few dollars towards it.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: darksniper
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm

darksniper wrote:If Shenmue III comes close to that number or even matches Kingdom Come, then this would mean that part III alone will have close to the same amount or slightly less funding that I and II did if we're going by Yu Suzuki's (not Sega's) estimate with the first two games at 47 million.

In other words Shenmue III is getting that AAA treatment and I couldn't be any more excited if that's the case.

That Kingdom Come budget total included marketing, I believe.

Shenmue III isn't getting the AAA treatment. Don't get that idea into your head. The project was always AA, even if we're getting a bigger and better version after the extra time/money developing it.

Riku Rose wrote: Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silver all have contributed money alongside the Kickstarter funds. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sega have quietly put a few dollars towards it.

I'm not so sure about SEGA.

On paper their support has always sounded like it came in the form of the IP, pre-production materials/source code of the originals, and that's about it. Reluctance to embrace the series still ran very deep at SEGA and the fact Yu had to find other companies to facilitate even the publishing of their own IP, makes me think they were not interested in contributing anything financial.

This was pre-Kickstarter though. After it was a success, something might have changed, but at the time SEGA were still being financially very cautious, and we know how long it took them to finally commit to rereleases of the originals.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 pm

I've been with contact with Robert Pontow from Deep Silver, who is working on Shenmue 3.
I told him about Eric Kelso, Paul Lucas, and Lisle Wilkerson, and how they want to return to Shenmue 3. This is his reply:

Hi, thanks for contacting me. Would you have any email addresses of the voice actors, their agents or any other means of contacting them? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to discuss anything over FB, so we would need to take an official way to get in contact with the voice actors. But I am sure that Yu Suzuki would be happy if we can secure the same crew for Shenmue 3. Best regards

This means there is hope yet. I will try to find a way to get in touch with those three, I'll tweet Shenmue AM2 podcast who had been in touch with them recently. If you guys know anything that might help, let me know too

This also confirms my suspicion that they didn't know that the VA's wanted to return

Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Interesting development, good job getting in touch.

I hope this guy knows what he's in for when other people catch on to start sending him requests.

I guess this means those parts were as-of-now still uncast? Without knowing the ins and outs of the scheduling process, I can't say if it's unusual or not. Maybe they wanted to get a head start on Corey's VO work and plug-in the rest of the cast as and when later? That is, if recording is still going ahead shortly. There's been no word from Corey if that's changed.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue May 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silver all have contributed money alongside the Kickstarter funds. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sega have quietly put a few dollars towards it.

Isn't Shibuya Productions a private equity firm? There's no telling how much capital they'd raised. Investors were undoubtedly promised handsome returns based on sales figures.
WildManofBorneo

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: I've been with contact with Robert Pontow from Deep Silver, who is working on Shenmue 3.
I told him about Eric Kelso, Paul Lucas, and Lisle Wilkerson, and how they want to return to Shenmue 3. This is his reply:

Hi, thanks for contacting me. Would you have any email addresses of the voice actors, their agents or any other means of contacting them? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to discuss anything over FB, so we would need to take an official way to get in contact with the voice actors. But I am sure that Yu Suzuki would be happy if we can secure the same crew for Shenmue 3. Best regards

This means there is hope yet. I will try to find a way to get in touch with those three, I'll tweet Shenmue AM2 podcast who had been in touch with them recently. If you guys know anything that might help, let me know too

This also confirms my suspicion that they didn't know that the VA's wanted to return

Great work! Shenmue 3 would have never come to fruition if it wasn't for the dedication of the fans.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Centrale » Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Spaghetti wrote: This was pre-Kickstarter though. After it was a success, something might have changed, but at the time SEGA were still being financially very cautious, and we know how long it took them to finally commit to rereleases of the originals.

Actually I think this brings up a point that I'm very interested in. Do we really know when Sega actually committed to the HD versions? All we know is when they announced them, plus a couple of other details - Famitsu's statement that they were about 70% finished at that time, and then d3tAllen's statement here on the Dojo that in his estimation they were further along than 70%. But when did development begin? And prior to that, when did Sega greenlight the project and initiate the process of selecting the developer? (But I guess this is more appropriate to be discussed in the HD section of the forum, so pardon my thread drift and feel free to discuss it over there! :) )
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III