Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 25, 2018 11:31 am

Exaggeration and stylisation was always there in the design. In the 2D art indisputably, but I'd wager some of that carried over to 3D models too even if they were at the time "realistic".

There's no real gulf in the design work going on here, just that 3D artists can interpret those designs in higher and more accurate fidelity.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: OL, redline, Reprise, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby spud1897 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm

To be fair they look good. The art style hasn't changed all that much and I like it.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby The_Intruder » Fri May 25, 2018 7:37 pm

I have no problem with Shenmue III art style I think it looks really good I don't like games with very realistic characters. I'm grateful for anything they give us for Shen 3 I just want to play the game.

The_Intruder has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby redline » Sat May 26, 2018 4:27 pm

mmm... its not really a style i like but doesn't bother me too much. sounds like game was pushed back 2019 only because they are touching up the graphics(?)

imo, ive always thought they should of stuck with s1/s2 dreamcast graphics (be it a modernized/ updated) and knocked out s3, s4 & s5 as download only games. i bet they could of completed the story for the $6mil they got, if they used low end graphics.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giovanni18 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 pm

redline wrote: mmm... its not really a style i like but doesn't bother me too much. sounds like game was pushed back 2019 only because they are touching up the graphics(?)

imo, ive always thought they should of stuck with s1/s2 dreamcast graphics (be it a modernized/ updated) and knocked out s3, s4 & s5 as download only games. i bet they could of completed the story for the $6mil they got, if they used low end graphics.

Shenmue deserves a lot more than that though. Since it is now on modern hardware, its potential for greatness is now much higher. I know there's a lot on the line with Shenmue III but if they pull it off, it will raise the status of the series even more and cement its place in history.
Giovanni18
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 26, 2018 6:00 pm

The biggest problem with being critical is not actually seeing the game in motion for real. We really just have very short videos of prototype stage development, which usually are just normally kept in house shared between personnel within the building, kept under lock and key, not for the public eye to see, a lot of the characters we've seen are constantly being changed, tweaked here and there. But really it all comes down seeing the game in motion when it's nearer completion. I can't for the life of me understand the original 2017 release date, no way was the game going to be visually (or from a gameplay perspective, things would have gotten cut for sure) up to par with what either the fans or the devs themselves wanted.

I'm personally glad it has gotten delayed again, let them iron out the kinks and release it at the best they can with the resources they have. They are going for a hybrid art style that combines the look of the old with the new, I personally like the direction they've gone, the little girl literally looks like she is from the same art style/DNA of the classic games to me. Same goes for the roided bodyguard enemy, like one of the street fighters from Shenmue 2, just built in the Unreal Engine. I think they're trying to stay true to the art style that fans expect. I personally would have been more disappointed if they went the other way and made the art direction more realistic. We have plenty of those sort of games nowadays. As they near completion, I'm sure more might warm to it as the character art become more cohesive and they make Ryo look like what we all want (which seems a bit divisive going by the topics on here, ah well).

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Shenmue_Trilogy
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Spaghetti » Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 pm

redline wrote:sounds like game was pushed back 2019 only because they are touching up the graphics(?)

Nah.

Visuals will definitely keep getting worked on from now until probably quite near release, but the reasons for the delay will span further than that.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giovanni18 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:29 am

Henry Spencer wrote: The biggest problem with being critical is not actually seeing the game in motion for real. We really just have very short videos of prototype stage development, which usually are just normally kept in house shared between personnel within the building, kept under lock and key, not for the public eye to see, a lot of the characters we've seen are constantly being changed, tweaked here and there. But really it all comes down seeing the game in motion when it's nearer completion. I can't for the life of me understand the original 2017 release date, no way was the game going to be visually (or from a gameplay perspective, things would have gotten cut for sure) up to par with what either the fans or the devs themselves wanted.

I'm personally glad it has gotten delayed again, let them iron out the kinks and release it at the best they can with the resources they have. They are going for a hybrid art style that combines the look of the old with the new, I personally like the direction they've gone, the little girl literally looks like she is from the same art style/DNA of the classic games to me. Same goes for the roided bodyguard enemy, like one of the street fighters from Shenmue 2, just built in the Unreal Engine. I think they're trying to stay true to the art style that fans expect. I personally would have been more disappointed if they went the other way and made the art direction more realistic. We have plenty of those sort of games nowadays. As they near completion, I'm sure more might warm to it as the character art become more cohesive and they make Ryo look like what we all want (which seems a bit divisive going by the topics on here, ah well).

You know, I'm really excited to see what Ryo's final character model will look like. It's still not clear (not to me at least!) what look they're going for exactly. Whatever it is, it'll be interesting.

*Banned for ban evasion*
Giovanni18
Banned
Banned

Postby Haruto » Sun May 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Same art style just better hardware that shows it better. It took me by surprise at first as well. Like Darksiders or Bayonetta I'm sure it will grow on me.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 pm

The Shenmue III art style is fairly characteristic of Japanese video games, namely an idealized or exaggerated aesthetic. This is in largely in contrast to western video game developers who tend to favor a photorealistic approach. (Note: This is a sweeping generalization and there are obvious exceptions to both)

I happen to prefer the former, but ultimately it all comes down to personal preference.

Exaggeration

Photorealism (Ultimately any game which employs face capture technology)

Photorealism isn't really an art style per se, but it is the direction video games seem to be heading.

WildManofBorneo has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue May 29, 2018 11:15 pm

The more I see the most recent clip of Ryo and Shenhua, the more I like it.

ShenmueTree has received 2 thanks from: Spaghetti, WildManofBorneo
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 pm

Dont you just love it when a member creates a controversial topic and then doesnt respond to it at all and multiple pages have gone by? Fucking ace this guy is.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 am

A bit, yes. In a perfect world the Yakuza team would drop by YS net studios and do all the 3D model work for free.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received 2 thanks from: darksniper, dietsoap
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed May 30, 2018 10:34 am

The only real critiques I have are that I prefer the hair and Ryo's face from this screenshot.

Even though I am more than content with Ryo's face in the short Deep Silver clip, I personally enjoy the other more. It's definitely not a big deal though. Shenhua is imo, perfect (in the Deep Silver clip briefing clip). No changes desired.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 30, 2018 10:52 am

To be honest, it may very well be the same model from a different angle and under different lighting conditions.

Like from this view of Ryo I could see how with his head turned and a different facial expression/lit differently, he could look a lot like the January screen.

The hair could probably be explained by the detail getting washed out on the THQ Nordic footage thanks to compression. If you squint you can see the parts where the light is hitting the hair have a detailing effect, but the quality of the footage just makes it blurry.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III