Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby WildManofBorneo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm

swimingdeer wrote: But, what if the flashback are told from another perspective than in SH1&2 ?

I read that Yu said in some interviews he would like to explore differences in perceptions.
So, alternate perspective flashbacks would not only recall event,
but also paint them in a new light for players that went through SH1&2.

This would then be something of value and wholly worth the development effort.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Supa wrote: Didn't Shenhua state in Shenmue II that Bailu only had around 50 people? I can't remember if Yu has talked about the size of Bailu in any interviews.

I can't remember the interview he said it in, but I think Yu compared it to Dobuita.

Whether he means the singular Dobuita map, or the whole of that area of the game (everything except the harbour, basically) is unknown. Even in the first case, Bailu will probably feel bigger than Dobuita because of it being open plan, rather than a shopping street with some loops and branches.

In any case it looks a reasonable size from what we've seen in the prototype and pre-Alpha footage/screens from last year.

This (partial) recap from Gamescom 2017 interview gives a good idea of the size of Bailu and choubu (although it may not be about the physical size but the feeling when playing in those locations).

As of today, Baisha is still a complete mystery!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 pm

I still think there is a possibility we'll go to Meng Cun after Baisha, and they're keeping it as a surprise.
The reason I say that is because we see the Great Wall in one of the screenshots, and none of the three locations (Bailu, Chobou, Baisha) are close to the great wall, assuming they're close to their real-world counterpart locations.

Based on that "Chapter Map" from GDC, the only location illustrated that's close to the great wall is Cang Zhou, the place where Meng Cun (Meng Village) is located.

I remember Spaghetti saying there was another Great Wall in the south, but I couldn't find any pictures for it, If it resembles the great wall in the Shenmue 3 screenshot, then I guess there goes my wild theory :D
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I remember Spaghetti saying there was another Great Wall in the south, but I couldn't find any pictures for it, If it resembles the great wall in the Shenmue 3 screenshot, then I guess there goes my wild theory :D

It's not 1:1 with what we've seen of Shenmue III's great wall but you'll find some images of the Southern wall on this site: https://www.topchinatravel.com/china-attractions/southern-great-wall.htm.

Given how close geographically it is to Fenghuang (the IRL Choubu), I would probably put money on it being the Southern rather than Northern wall.

EDIT: Found a few photos searching with it's proper name, Miaojiang.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 pm

That might be it then... Though it says the walls are 3 meters high, which is short compared to the northern one, and the one in the Shenmue 3 screenshot.

That said, the fact that we're fighting muscles guy over there makes me think it's Chobou, since he's a "mid boss", and I'd doubt he'll follow us to the end game.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Might be a bit of artistic licence going on?

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Possible.
Most locations in Shenmue were never 1:1 to their real life counterparts, I expect the same with Baisha and Chobou, too.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:41 pm

I keep getting Chobou mixed up with Chozo from Metroid prime.

Chobou ruins.

BlueCreeperBoy12 has received a thanks from: KidMarine
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby KidMarine » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:35 am

I wonder why they decided to name it Choubu and not just keep it as Fenghuang. I mean they didn't rename Wan Chai or Kowloon.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 pm

KidMarine wrote: I wonder why they decided to name it Choubu and not just keep it as Fenghuang. I mean they didn't rename Wan Chai or Kowloon.

I didn't know that was the original name. But if it was, they should've kept it. It sounds so much better than chobou imo
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:19 pm

KidMarine wrote: I wonder why they decided to name it Choubu and not just keep it as Fenghuang. I mean they didn't rename Wan Chai or Kowloon.

That's a good question. Maybe if there's another opportunity to pose community questions to Yu someone will ask this.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm pretty sure that Choubu is simply inspired by Fenghuang (and other "water towns" in China, like Wuzhen, Suzhou etc.) and not supposed to actually be Fenghuang, which is in Hunan Province, north of Guangxi Autonomous Region, where Guilin is, so, kind of far.
They didn't rename Wan Chai, Kowloon, Hong Kong or Yokosuka, because those are actually real places, but it seems to me that Shenmue 3's towns will all be fictional.

My question regarding Choubu's name (and one which I've mentioned a couple of times before) is why on earth do they use the town's Japanese pronunciation, especially when Baisha and Bailu are both Mandarin Chinese readings of those towns names. Seems pretty inconsistent for no reason whatsoever. "Choubu" is the Japanese reading of 鳥舞 (the town's name), which is read as "Niaowu" in Mandarin Chinese.
So, it should be Bailu, Baisha and Niaowu, not Bailu, Baisha and CHOUBU. It sticks out like a sore thumb.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:32 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: I'm pretty sure that Choubu is simply inspired by Fenghuang (and other "water towns" in China, like Wuzhen, Suzhou etc.) and not supposed to actually be Fenghuang, which is in Hunan Province, north of Guangxi Autonomous Region, where Guilin is, so, kind of far.

You are assuming Choubu and Baisha are in Guilin, Ryo could very well be travelling across China's regions in Shenmue 3.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:You are assuming Choubu and Baisha are in Guilin, Ryo could very well be travelling across China's regions in Shenmue 3.

They might be assuming that because of Shenmue III's Japanese sub-title seemingly being "Chapter 3: Guilin".

That said, it's not very clear cut what the situation is right now, and IMO even despite the sub-title I think III will still be a journey from Guilin - to Hunan - to Fujian even if it's not overtly said.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Haruto » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm

I hope we can tend a puppy or kitty in III. Shenmue II needed more kittens. I love kittens and puppies.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III