Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software) announced

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software) announced

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:18 pm

phpBB [video]

Tenchu meets Souls!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software) announced

Postby Haruto » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:03 pm

From stated this is not Souls. They stated it doesn't play like Souls. This is more like Tenchu meets Otogi. I couldn't be happier they are finally breaking away form Souls.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:13 pm

lol. Still looks like Souls to me.

Doesn't look anything like Otogi to me.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:58 pm

They are trolling the Ni-Oh Developers so hard :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: They are trolling the Ni-Oh Developers so hard :lol:

Not really. Since this isn't a souls like game.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 pm

where did you hear that?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:03 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: where did you hear that?

They released vague details yesterday.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Except that it totally looks like a Souls game. Bloodborne also wasn't a Souls game, sure, but the math still added up a certain way. It was a Souls-style game (formula-wise) with some new mechanics to set it apart, and that seems to describe this pretty well too.
Actually, if anything, it really does just look like an expansion pack for Nioh, but with a more appealing protagonist (was never keen on the "white guy saves Japan" thing, even though I really do love Nioh).
I don't see why that necessarily equates to them "trolling" Nioh's devs (this isn't Kojima); it's just them finally taking a stab at a setting everyone was asking for.

I will say I kind of wish they'd just do a straight-up Tenchu game. It almost feels like From have damned themselves to only doing "hardcore" games with dingy atmospheres now, like that's their signature or something. But they had a whole history and variety of other styles pre-Demon's Souls that I wish they'd revisit someday.
Fatal Shadows is still my favorite Tenchu game (which is heresy to some Tenchu fans), mainly because of the excellent idea to stage it like a classic Japanese tv show, with tv-style openings for every level, and a "next time on Tenchu: Fatal Shadows" bumper at the end of each. They did this long before the episodic format became a regular thing in gaming, and it was brilliant. I say take credit, and do another Tenchu game with that format and style, just with modern, vastly-updated gameplay.

Anyway, Sekiro does look really cool. I do hope it has Japanese voices though. Gonna be mega-stupid if they make this a Japanese game based in a classical Japanese setting, but with everyone only speaking English. Ugh.
Also really hope this isn't Xbox-exclusive, because I honestly have no intention of ever getting an Xbox One. I'm sure I'll be disappointed on that though.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:32 pm

They never said it was an Xbox exclusive. Just shown at the MS showing. It's coming to PS4 no doubt. Published by Activision.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:25 pm

It's directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki. Coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC.

About

Your death won’t come easily. Introducing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, a fantastical, dark and twisted new gameplay experience from developer From Software, creators of Bloodborne and the Dark Souls series.

Directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, and published by Activision, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a third-person, action-adventure game with RPG elements. The single-player game puts players in the protagonist role of a hard-hearted warrior whose mission is to rescue his master, a young lord who is the descendant of an ancient bloodline, and exact revenge on his arch nemesis. Set in the re-imagined world of late 1500s Sengoku Japan; a brutal, bloody period of constant life-and-death conflict, in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice you are the “one-armed wolf,” a disgraced and disfigured warrior rescued from the brink of death.

In the game, players come face-to-face with larger than life foes; unleash an arsenal of deadly prosthetic tools and powerful ninja abilities to blend stealth, vertical traversal, and visceral head-to-head combat in a bloody confrontation.

Take revenge. Restore your honor. Kill Ingeniously.

Key Features

Kill Ingeniously – From Software delivers their best in class combat in this fast-paced, action-adventure game featuring all new mechanics.

Exploration is key – Players will experience the thrill of exploration and discovery in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice like never before. Through exploration, players can uncover new items, meet new characters, and encounter hidden enemies.

Armed – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice gameplay is centered around sword combat, enhanced by a variety of prosthetic arm attachments that supplement or change the way a player fights. Achieving strategic mastery of “Sekiro” or the “one-armed wolf’s” techniques and abilities, from prosthetic tools, swordplay to stealth and the grappling hook is no easy feat. To overcome difficulties and bring each situation under control, gamers must discover, integrate and use a variety of new tools when heading into combat.

One-armed wolf – Play as a highly talented shinobi in the service of a young lord raised in isolation. After suffering defeat at the hands of a shadowy Ashina samurai seeking the unique heritage of your master, the two of you are separated. Deep in the mountains, in a dilapidated temple, you reawaken to your fate. You must take back your master and exact revenge on your enemy at all costs.

Hard to the core – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a hard-core game worthy of the name From Software. Miyazaki designed Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice this way! Fans of From Software will find the gameplay challenging, yet fun and rewarding. The quality of combat, level of challenge, and creative enemies and bosses are something that can only be found in a From Software title.

Reimagined world – This reimagining of Japanese aesthetic blends a withered, yet vivid, world of the late 1500s Sengoku Japan as the age of warring states nears its end. Witness a world brought to its knees by constant bloodshed; a ravaged world on the brink of destruction. Explore these environments, rich with FromSoftware’s intricate design and steeped with secrets to discover.

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/activision- ... one-and-pc

Seems like they're going for a more story heavy approach this time, which is a welcome change of pace. It is kind of weird to me since visually, it doesn't look as good as Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. May just be because of the daylight and since it isn't coming until next year.

The story is definitely giving me Blood Will Tell/Dororo vibes!

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:02 pm

I said they are trolling the Nioh devs because this could easily take over that market and demographic, and well... they did draw first blood by copying some core elements of From Softwares games. Kinda feels like this them saying no THIS is how it should be done. But if at nothing else I like the rivalry and competitive move by From.

Also this isnt the only Samurai inspired game at E3, Ghost of Tsushima (from Sucker Punch Productions the Infamous devs) will be showed off at the Sony conference tonight so keep your radars on that game as well.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Eh, I hear the word "trolling" and it always sounds like a description of some sort of childishness to me.
The devs at From have always done their own thing, from the very start, rarely creating any of their games specifically as a rival to anything else (the one exception I can think of being Ninja Blade, which was a pretty obvious Ninja Gaiden clone).
I guess it's just my perspective as a slightly more long-time From fan (since playing demos of Armored Core on PS1), as opposed to the more "modern gamer" perspective on things (as most gamers got into them post-Dark Souls), but the thought of them doing anything as an actual response to anyone else's games just sounds out of character for them.
They tend to be a little more individual than that, and something as trite as a cosmetic similarity to Nioh doesn't really convince me otherwise.

That being said... where the fuck is my Armored Core 6?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Even so, here we are with 2 very similar style of games. Although its really 3 or 4 now... Sekiro, Nioh 1, Ghost of Tsushima (which looked incredible and I think is my favorite of them all), and Nioh 2 which was briefly shown off. Hope everyone is ready for a variety of Samurai games because jesus we are getting them.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 pm

OL wrote: Eh, I hear the word "trolling" and it always sounds like a description of some sort of childishness to me.
The devs at From have always done their own thing, from the very start, rarely creating any of their games specifically as a rival to anything else (the one exception I can think of being Ninja Blade, which was a pretty obvious Ninja Gaiden clone).
I guess it's just my perspective as a slightly more long-time From fan (since playing demos of Armored Core on PS1), as opposed to the more "modern gamer" perspective on things (as most gamers got into them post-Dark Souls), but the thought of them doing anything as an actual response to anyone else's games just sounds out of character for them.
They tend to be a little more individual than that, and something as trite as a cosmetic similarity to Nioh doesn't really convince me otherwise.

That being said... where the fuck is my Armored Core 6?

Well we know they're working on several projects in tandem. Another one got announced today! That makes like 3 From Software game announcements (one old school, two new IPs), so this is like the best conference ever for From Software fans. Metal Wolf Chaos will tide me over for the time being, hehe.

I'm guessing it's also because Miyazaki is busy designing and directing both Shadows Die Twice AND Déraciné in tandem and said he wanted to personally direct the new Armored Core himself. The guy sure is getting greedy, for sure, he wants to direct everything, ha.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Don't expect Souls.

PCGamer detailed write up: https://www.pcgamer.com/embargoed-1...e ... ark-souls/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/sekiro-shadows ... s?tw=PCGN1

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has no classes from which to choose, no character stats to level up, no option to create your own character, no multiplayer of any kind, no armour or weapons to find or equip, and no souls (or equivalent) to collect - or lose after dying. Just to reconfirm: Sekiro is the next big game by FromSoftware, the maker of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Indeed, Sekiro can scarcely be called an action-RPG. FromSoftware's Yasuhiro Kitao rather describes it as an action adventure game. One of the few elements that might seem familiar is your character's prosthetic limb - it's capable of hosting a number of gadgets, which you can find scattered around the world. That sounds pretty reminiscent of the trick weapons found in Bloodborne, if you had a temporary flirtation with a PlayStation 4 to enjoy that.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Return to General Gaming