RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/18!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/

Postby darksniper » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 pm

I don't care about 4:3, 16:9 , letterboxes, HD, SD or any of that. I'm just glad that I can finally play Shenmue again and that Sega answered my lifelong dream of playing Shenmue I with some bloom on my TV. Life is good.

darksniper has received a thanks from: TheTimeRanger
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Esppiral » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:45 am

Already purchased for Xbox, I hope it comes enhanced for the Xbox one x
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby TheTimeRanger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:47 am

darksniper wrote: I don't care about 4:3, 16:9 , letterboxes, HD, SD or any of that. I'm just glad that I can finally play Shenmue again and that Sega answered my lifelong dream of playing Shenmue I with some bloom on my TV. Life is good.

This!

I could not agree more. Not only are we getting BOTH games released for modern systems, but we are getting a ton of improvements (Save anywhere :heart: )

But also the way SEGA are getting behind Shenmue in such a big way, is really touching to see. After so many years of being a brick wall, they are even featuring Shenmue as one of their key franchises on their website!

TheTimeRanger has received a thanks from: darksniper
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

Postby Niowiad » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:19 am

I was not expecting it this soon. :shock:
I'd like to replay those first two games pretty close to the Shenmue3 release date, which is still unknown.
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby DigitalDuck » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:08 am

Kintor wrote:This will be a big help to new players who have never experienced Shenmue before. Although, I'm wondering if I will still continue to save only in the bedroom, just purely out of habit.

I save only in the bedroom in Shenmue II anyway, so it'll probably go entirely unused by me.
DigitalDuck
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: DuckProgrammer
Currently playing: Life

Postby Skillz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Finally a confirmed release date, just what I was waiting for. I had a feeling and knew it was August, based on the end of the year coming up and how much limited time we have in between that. Thank god for sega! Now to see if I should preorder another copy before it is too late.

Spaghetti wrote:
masterchan777 wrote: With all the exciting news and announcements, I hope Peter could manage to find some spare time for a dojo stream tonight ..

No stream tonight, but there will be on Thursday.

Hmmm? where is the live stream going to be at? I would like to join in.
Skillz
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Skillz wrote:Hmmm? where is the live stream going to be at? I would like to join in.

9PM BST every Thursday at:
https://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
or
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjvnGv ... kYanOfmRoQ
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Skillz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Good thing I have a twitch and youtube account!
Skillz
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Today, I walked into my local Gamestop and preordered and fully paid two copies of S1 & 2 HD, one for PS4, one for Xbox One. Yes, I actually went into a shop and bought a Shenmue game. The guy in the shop didn't seem to know Shenmue but it took him like one second to find it in his system. He looked at the screen and said: "1 & 2 are coming in one package and they also got Shenmue 3 coming up. Do you want to preorder that one too?". I smiled at him and said "Just 1 & 2 today, I'll come back to buy Shenmue 3 some other time.".

It was so surreal. It felt amazing.

Oddly enough, he had November 18 in his system as a release date for S1 & 2, but I guess that's just a placeholder.

Got my preorders for the US PS4 and Xbox versions and the Asian PS4 version locked down at Play Asia. However, they don't have the Japanese version on preorder yet, which I find odd. Anyway, I'll get that later.

I'm still gonna buy an extra copy of both the Xbox and the PS4 versions for myself (one to play, one to stay for each version) and also some copies for my friends who have been waiting to play Shenmue for the first time. But I'm not gonna preorder those copies. I'll just buy them spontaneously when the game is out. Can you immagine how marvellous the feeling must be?

You walk into your local video game store/electronics shop, take a Shenmue (yes, Shenmue!!!) game out of the shelf, pay it and walk out. Just like that. Must be such a sweet, triumphant moment. Can't wait for it.

[-o< \:D/ =D>

Hyo Razuki has received 4 thanks from: Hazuki00, KidMarine, Let's Get Sweaty, Skillz
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Skillz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Yeah good for you hyo razuki. One thing though I hope you find the game after release at gamestop. Your friends will be happy!
Last edited by Skillz on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skillz
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby xatruio » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 am

That's a good thought, Hyo. When I pick up one of my reserved Shenmue HD at gamestop, I'll see if they also have Shenmue 3 pre-order available yet. Also, definitely dig the idea of a walk-in purchase at a store during the week or month of release--for both games--in routine as an everyday passerby gamer.

An extra copy of I+II as well as a couple more of Shenmue III will cover me for having a loaner disc in addition to collection and gifting copies. Shall be glorious days, indeed.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Technophilz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 am

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are two of the most innovative games ever made, and they still have extra special place in the hearts of almost everyone who played them. That alone makes them eligible to way better treatment than the one they recently have had so far.

I am aware of the low-price tag, the limited development budget, and the joy and excitement of walking into a game store to buy a brand-new Shenmue game off the display shelf. But allow me to ask you this simple question: what are you going out of that game store with? It isn’t a remake, not a remaster and not even a direct port. It indeed has, first and foremost, an identity crisis. so I’d simply call it: a lazy port.

When I take a look at recent (and even last-gen) HD remasters, I feel how lazy and probably rushed this port really is. I can understand and forgive the 30fps, but everything else is totally unforgiven: compressed audio, a mix of 4:3 and 16:9, no reworked models, poor looking textures, missing Passport/VMU content, saves not compatible with Shenmue 3, Denuvo etc …

And to add insult to injury, they decided to push their “informative” messages through someone who has the show-off mentality of “I know things that you don’t” which made such announcements annoying instead of being interesting.

It’s really sad to see people here being “directed” towards what they say, when to post and how to discuss their ideas. It’s also pathetic to see people end up being suspended for not following the “directives” of “keeping negativity minimal”. You can “force” people to say positive things all you want, but that won’t change the fact that everyone can clearly flaws and limitations, and they have every right to highlight them and discuss them in their own way and style.

I believe this is unacceptable today, and no matter how hard you try to push people towards thinking positively about it, I think very few will actually do, especially gaming media and those who are new to the series who may not have enough nostalgia.

I am aware that this might be my last post here, which could even get deleted before mods ban me for not being “positive” enough. But still, in a time where glorious remakes and really good remasters of much less impactful games exist, I will always have a bitter feeling about what will we all end up getting next month.

Let me finish by saying that, despite everything I said above, I think everyone should still support this release, buy it and play it. Because this will directly and definitely affect the future of the series. We need to show Sega that we still care about Shenmue, and that we value their effort of brining the series back to modern systems. But we also need to tell them loud and clear, that Shenmue fans are not living in 1999 anymore, and that we are also not that easy to satisfy.

Shenmue has invented the F.R.E.E genre, and it taught me to look for, admire and enjoy every fine detail in its living and breathing world, and it won’t be that easy to change that today, even if that has got me in so much trouble with other respected members and mods, and if this ends up being my very last post here, I would like to take this chance to thank the Dojo for all the love and passion, for the great Shenmue news and projects over the years and for the great times.

Now, if you haven’t pre-ordered the new Shenmue games already, please go ahead and do it NOW.

Technophilz has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Centrale » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:16 am

Technophilz wrote: I will always have a bitter feeling about what will we all end up getting next month.

It's reassuring to know that you will always be bitter, philz. 8)

I think if Shenmue I & II HD and Shenmue III are successful, there will be a real possibility of remakes in years to come.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:29 am

For complete clarity, let me accentuate that Technophillz (or anyone else for that matter) was never suspended for 'not being positive enough'. We do not ban people for rational criticism of Shenmue related projects. Just wanted to make that clear.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby xatruio » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Passport capsules would be nice, but, really, what's the point? Back in the day I didn't have internet on my Dreamcast anyway, nor do I now, so pawnshops are the way I get rid of excess toys, etc. The soundtrack and cutscene viewer are entirely superfluous. Do you need rankings quite so badly?? Also, the VMU is neat, but like most Dreamcast games outside of RE, somewhat unnecessary. Pretty confident saves will eventually work with Shenmue 3 thru a patch later on post-release. You say it is less than we deserve, yet finish your post by saying exactly why we are all optimistic: everyone should support it and buy it and play it. No shit? Make up your mind.

It is not less than we deserve, we deserve literally nothing. Shenmue wasn't profitable. By any means. Ever. MS probably didn't even pony up much for the US exclusivity of Shenmue II. You are spoiled; a series as dead as Shenmue doesn't just get fancy MGS-esque remasters let alone remakes. Sega is doing enough already with any new features whatsoever such as the Save anywhere, controls and bloom toggling option. Also, 4:3 cinematic were how they were intended. Gameplay is 16:9, which is vastly more important and even lucky to be improved, as well. Honestly, with how much money they didn't recoup on the original releases, they should've done even less than they have commissioned D3t for, fit they were truly lazy and wanted wider profit margin/recoup from what was lost 17-19 years ago.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release