Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:54 am

Yeah I'd want to imagine that they're working on prepping marketing material and any onsite/offsite demos @Gamescom (with it being alongside the re-release for Shenmue 1&2 around that time-frame, it being 1 year since the last public trailer and an important event for deep silver) but since there's nothing recent or any concrete/outright confirmations atm I just wouldn't pigeon-hole them to delivering on that and not adapting in case they needed to (with much of gamedev being an organic process and such).

It's promising though, really excited for what's ahead, the release of S1&2 is a pretty big high in and of itself so getting that alongside (potentially) more details/footage surrounding Shenmue 3 will be...quite something.

The arbitrary release date for Shenmue 3 is really intriguing. If they do decide to show stuff at Gamescom then that'll leave plenty of months for it's marketing campaign (leading to it's eventual release in the following year).
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:25 am

Also Cedric tweets a photo of the original Ryo jacket, looking good! https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 4689359873
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 am

It seems that Cedric has been playing again Shenmue 3 and he is impressed with the fighs in the game.
He couln't do anything except praise Yu for his magic.

He knows how to tease us!
I can't wait them to confirm they are taking Shenmue 3 to gamescom and show game play at last!

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 5133600768

Hazuki00 has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, The_Intruder
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby redline » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:12 pm

phpBB [video]

redline has received a thanks from: TheThirdComing
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Oregon_Pacifist » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Let's imagine for a moment that Shenmue 3 is a big success, critically and financially. Then, Sega decides to publish Shenmue 4 and 5 and development is once again handled by YsNet.

What would be really awesome (if this scenario ends up actually happening) is if you are going to be switching platforms, (like going from Shenmue 3 on PC to Shenmue 4 on Xbox One), if Sega allowed you to upload your save data to their servers, and then later retrieved using a Sega login on another platform. This would be amazing because if this scenario occurs, there's a good chance Shenmue 4 and 5 would also release on Xbox. Thoughts?
Oregon_Pacifist
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: Oregon Pacifist
Currently playing: Resident Evil 4

Postby ManoTemple » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:10 am

Quick question to any tech-savvy individuals, can you play PC games (in this case, Shenmue) on a Mac using Boot Camp? Is there another method that might work better?
ManoTemple
Asia Travel Representative

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 am

Oregon_Pacifist wrote: Let's imagine for a moment that Shenmue 3 is a big success, critically and financially. Then, Sega decides to publish Shenmue 4 and 5 and development is once again handled by YsNet.

What would be really awesome (if this scenario ends up actually happening) is if you are going to be switching platforms, (like going from Shenmue 3 on PC to Shenmue 4 on Xbox One), if Sega allowed you to upload your save data to their servers, and then later retrieved using a Sega login on another platform. This would be amazing because if this scenario occurs, there's a good chance Shenmue 4 and 5 would also release on Xbox. Thoughts?

I have this gut feeling that if successful, Sony will likely make the franchise PS4 exclusive as how they have been doing with Yakuza. I just don't see MS being interested anyway, and if Shenmue 3 turns out just okay sales wise, I actually have better hopes with Nintendo of all publishers to pick up the tab for the remaining entries (even though it will be a challenge given the hardware), as the company is still hungry for third party support for the Switch and we've seen this happening with the likes of Bayonetta.

ManoTemple wrote: Quick question to any tech-savvy individuals, can you play PC games (in this case, Shenmue) on a Mac using Boot Camp? Is there another method that might work better?

Try Wineskin Winery + NullDC
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Robfozz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:57 pm

If I'm being 100% honest, and I hate to be a negative nancy, but I really have 0 faith in Shenmue 3 being any good at all. I want it to be amazing, hell I backed at the $250 level, but I just can't lie to myself.

All the odds are completely against this game, the relatively low budget, the small dev team, everything they show doesn't look quite right or sometimes even just flat out bad. Everything screams this game just wont be very great. I'll be shocked if its even "just okay"
Robfozz

PSN: Robfozz_
XBL: Robfozzz
Steam: Robfozz

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:02 am

I’ll assume that your sentiment is primarily based off of the 2017 Gamescom trailer, which would have been the last time we saw Shenmue in motion.

What should be realized is that that particular trailer, obtained from an older build, represented about 6-7 months worth of development. From July 2015 right up until the end of 2016 Shenmue 3 remained in pre production. It wasn’t until the beginning of 2017 that the game fully began to get underway. Essentially we were shown a game that was at a very early pre alpha stage, perhaps prematurely. Lakshya Digital wasn’t signed on at this point, nor were other yet to be announced outsource teams. Outside of crowd funded projects I can’t think of a single game that has been debuted where full production was under 1 year.

Next month will give us a better idea of the direction that the game will be going and then you can reassess how you feel at that point
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am

Robfozz wrote: If I'm being 100% honest, and I hate to be a negative nancy, but I really have 0 faith in Shenmue 3 being any good at all. I want it to be amazing, hell I backed at the $250 level, but I just can't lie to myself.

All the odds are completely against this game, the relatively low budget, the small dev team, everything they show doesn't look quite right or sometimes even just flat out bad. Everything screams this game just wont be very great. I'll be shocked if its even "just okay"

Wow.

That's the spirit. :roll:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby mrandyk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

Robfozz wrote: If I'm being 100% honest, and I hate to be a negative nancy, but I really have 0 faith in Shenmue 3 being any good at all. I want it to be amazing, hell I backed at the $250 level, but I just can't lie to myself.

I've been skeptical too, but the video in the latest update was reassuring for me. It really felt like my first look at Shenmue in the modern era. I've got a good feeling that we will like what we see once the game is properly shown off to the world.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby redline » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 am

/\ no matter what, the story will be solid.. at least that part of s3 will be good.

clearly ys is trying to create a AAA title to compete with modern games. the risk of failure is high when you set your goals so high.

ive said it a few times, imo he should have created s3 with the same gameplay and style as the dreamcast games. creating a modern 1999 dreamcast style game, with today's technology would've looked heavily stylised. he probaby would of been able to add a lot more chapters in shenmue3 and I imagine it would have been ton easier to make.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm

It is what it is. I always find it kind of uninteresting for us to worry about what Yu should have/could have/would have done.

At the end of the day, we don't know what he agreed on with Sega, Shibuya and Deep Silver, or what other plans he might have had for S3 at some point in the past. In the end, with the Shenmue franchise having been dormant since basically the silent cancellation of Shenmue Online (thank God that never came out!), we'll have to accept what we get.

I'm still confident Yu and his team can make a good game. I hope some progress will be shown soon, because let's face it, they haven't shown any real progress on the project since August of last year. And that footage was suppossedly months old back then.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ManoTemple » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 pm

If a game like Witcher 2 was developed for 10 million, I'm sure S3 will be great!
ManoTemple

Postby WildManofBorneo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm

One additional point I wanted to touch on is concerning the budget/team size.

Aside from what I'd mentioned previously about the game footage being far too early into development to draw a successful conclusion, it is also worth noting that we know nothing concrete regarding the budget and team size. At the recent Deep Silver conference we were shown a figure of 45 of staff members for YSNet. This however does not provide the full development story as games are increasingly reliant on outsourced production and this is true perhaps nowhere more so than in Japan.

For example, Nier Automata which was developed by Platinum Games was comprised of 50 core staff. What isn't mentioned however is that nearly 30 outsourced teams contributed to the development of this game including Lakshya Digital. http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstati ... ta/credits. All we know for certain at this point is that there are 45 members at YSNet and 20-25 at Lakshya Digital, bringing the total number of staff to 65-70.

Secondly, we are all aware of the current money pledged through Kickstarter (less fees). However we don't what Shibuya Productions has raised through their venture capital structure (they are after all located in Monaco where nearly 1 in 3 are millionaires.) Next, we have no idea what Deep Silver's financial commitment is, though it is certainly more than $3 million as Yu had mentioned that with their investment he was now able to achieve the full open world experience that he envisioned (which he previously stated would cost $10 million). We also don't know how much the publisher for the local Japanese market is putting up or who they even are yet. Nor do we know if Sony or Sega is contributing anything, and should the game eventually come to the Xbox, perhaps Microsoft's investment?

Finally, team size does not make a game. Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus were developed by Sony’s internal ‘Team Ico’ which was comprised of just 45 staff. That number tripled for The Last Guardian, yet the game was inferior to its predecessors. Or take as example game Bioware's recent Mass Effect Andromeda which was comprised of 300-400 strong - the game was a disaster.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/m ... da/credits
WildManofBorneo

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III