(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Magic in Shenmue? (Total votes: 22)

Yes!
45%
No!
55%

Magic?

Postby Timmah » Tue May 13, 2003 3:37 pm

Ok i saw people arguing about magic in shenmue in an earlier post and was wondering if you'd like there to be magic in Shenmue III - as a sort of "end to the saga".
Last edited by Timmah on Tue May 13, 2003 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Timmah
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Juanfran » Wed May 14, 2003 5:04 am

There should be some magic, as we are too far into the weirdness to back out, but if Ryo is killed by Lan-di and is then resurrected by Shenhua's tears, I will go out and kill something
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Timmah » Wed May 14, 2003 2:10 pm

yeah or if shenhua fires groin fireballs at people ( :shock: :? :lol:), and cremates them there and then, i will also. we're talking genocide here....
Timmah
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby pico » Wed May 14, 2003 2:57 pm

No! I don't like the idea of Shenmue being more of a "fantasy" game. Even the Shenmue II ending was a little weird, and starting to push it a bit. The realism of Shenmue I is much better, IMO.

If Shenhua starts casting spells or ressurects Ryo, I'm going to be furious! :evil:
pico
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Araviel » Thu May 15, 2003 8:44 am

No magic, no fireballs, plz.....
I don't mind the history that comes around, the chinese mythologi or 'powers' of Shenhua, but no pure magic, that would just wreck it...
Araviel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Silas » Thu May 15, 2003 8:50 am

Juanfran wrote:There should be some magic, as we are too far into the weirdness to back out, but if Ryo is killed by Lan-di and is then resurrected by Shenhua's tears, I will go out and kill something
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Silas » Thu May 15, 2003 8:51 am

Pico wrote:No! I don't like the idea of Shenmue being more of a "fantasy" game. Even the Shenmue II ending was a little weird, and starting to push it a bit. The realism of Shenmue I is much better, IMO.
Big fat word to that.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gutcruncher » Fri May 16, 2003 12:41 am

I will like the magic stuff if it doesnt go far beyond the kind of stuff seen at the end of shenmue 2. A little is interesting, but i would be pissed if shenhua does the stuff that you guys said (like groin fireballs...)
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Wuying Ren » Fri May 16, 2003 11:50 am

There is bound to be magic.

With those two mirrors creating a trail to a treasure, Chen talking about the ChiYou in Shenmue 1 and the end of Shenmue II, there is bound to be magic in Shenmue III.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it RIGHT at the end because I still want it to be as real as ever. I wouldn't mind it RIGHT at the end or I wouldn't mind no magic at all.

I think there will be some magical stuff at the end though, maybe after Ryo murders Lan Di (if he murders him :? )
Wuying Ren
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Silas » Fri May 16, 2003 12:53 pm

Oh, well, the magic you want to see is what the hell happens when those two mirrors come together! It certainly wouldn't be Shenmue if that wasn't pretty spectacular.

Generally I'm finding that my feelings for magic are: Cutscenes good, gameplay bad. It didn't bother me to see Zhu Yuanda's magical smoke trick, or Shenhua's dandelion blowing. I would be somewhat disturbed if Ryo suddenly learned to do that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon flying kung fu crap. (I am, incidentally, the only person in the world who was totally underwhelmed by the flying scenes in CTHD - they looked totally unconvincing imho.)
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anthers » Fri May 16, 2003 10:21 pm

I'll tolerate magic up to a point; beyond that point, it kills me. :fart:
Anthers
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Wuying Ren » Sat May 17, 2003 11:31 am

Silas wrote:
Shenhua's dandelion blowing.

Shenhua's dandelion blowing? :?

Enlighten me...
Wuying Ren
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Daemos » Sat May 17, 2003 1:23 pm

She blows the dand.... Not "blows" as in what you are thinking, hentai!? :shock: .

There's a scene on the last chapter (an optional scene) where see "blows" a field of dandelions with her mind. The tiny flowers start flying.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Silas » Mon May 19, 2003 9:59 am

After all your trials and tribulations getting through Guilin, the very last thing you have to do is pick the final route to go to Shenhua's house - using the Left path or the Right one. Pick the Left path to see the dandelion scene. (It opens a lot like the yellow flowers scene.)
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Mon May 19, 2003 8:57 pm

Everytime I play shenmue I know it's magic... Thats all I need.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III