should i buy a dreamcast

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

should i buy a dreamcast

Postby TAILS » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:55 pm

Tell me
TAILS
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JAPANFAN » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:14 pm

If you can find it (and Shenmue) for very cheap, then yeah, go for it. :D But just be warned that aside from the aforementioned title, you probably won't be getting much use out of it. :shock:
JAPANFAN
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TAILS » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:24 pm

sorry about the title :oops: .Thanks lol.
TAILS
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JAPANFAN » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:45 pm

Shenmue dude wrote:sorry about the title :oops: .Thanks lol.

What'cha apologizing for? :? You have no reason to. :P ;)

And you're very welcome. :D
JAPANFAN
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby asnozz » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:15 am

erm excuse me??
you said "But just be warned that aside from the aforementioned title, you probably won't be getting much use out of it."
The dreamcast is the best console iv ever owned it has so many classic sega games (and no im not new to gaming iv had a NES, master system, amiga 500, snes, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube and PC)
there are plenty of reasons to buy the dreamcast such as:
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Skies Of Arcadia
Metropolis street racer
Sonic adventure
sonic adventure 2
Crazy taxi/2
soul calibur
virtual fighter 3tb
virtual tennis/2
phantasy star online/2
Rez
erm loads more like jet set radio etc
Im sorry japanfan i know u are a huge contributer here but u are gravely mistaken underestimating the dreamcast (many consider it as powerful as the PS2). This is the BEST console i think iv owned so do consider buying a dreamcast (they are now selling them less than £20 these days)
asnozz
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: asnozz
XBL: asnozz360
Steam: asnozz
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: should i buy a dreamcast

Postby b_ren » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:43 pm

Shenmue dude wrote:Tell me
Go for it it's the radgist console in the world.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:48 pm

i think i told you to get one yesterday, but go for it, shenmue 1 changed my life
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby TAILS » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:45 pm

thanks everybody,im looking at a few dreamcasts on ebay.lol 8)
TAILS
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonikku » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:48 pm

Don't forget games like space channel 5, Sambe de amigo, legacy of kain soul reaver, grandia 2 and seaman!
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby JAPANFAN » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:09 am

asnozz wrote:Im sorry japanfan i know u are a huge contributer here but u are gravely mistaken underestimating the dreamcast (many consider it as powerful as the PS2). This is the BEST console i think iv owned so do consider buying a dreamcast (they are now selling them less than £20 these days)

As good as some of the games you've mentioned are, the majority of them (Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Phantasy Star Online 1, Phantasy Star Online 2) are available for other, better systems. And the ones that aren't aren't worth shelling out the money to get a Dreamcast for.

Aside from Shenmue (Shenmue II is only available for the Xbox in North America), the Dreamcast didn't have many killer-aps. There were a lot of excellent games, mind you, but none of them were so great that you felt compelled to own Sega's system over someone else's.

But you're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it. :D
JAPANFAN
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:16 am

Other then and soul reaver and Grandia 2 (which are ironicly best on the dreamcast) all of the titles I mentioned are all very original and exclusive to the dreamcast.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby DeXTeR » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:16 pm

DC rules. The one console you dont want to miss.
DeXTeR
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby asnozz » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:01 pm

JAPANFAN wrote:
asnozz wrote:Im sorry japanfan i know u are a huge contributer here but u are gravely mistaken underestimating the dreamcast (many consider it as powerful as the PS2). This is the BEST console i think iv owned so do consider buying a dreamcast (they are now selling them less than £20 these days)

As good as some of the games you've mentioned are, the majority of them (Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Phantasy Star Online 1, Phantasy Star Online 2) are available for other, better systems. And the ones that aren't aren't worth shelling out the money to get a Dreamcast for.

Aside from Shenmue (Shenmue II is only available for the Xbox in North America), the Dreamcast didn't have many killer-aps. There were a lot of excellent games, mind you, but none of them were so great that you felt compelled to own Sega's system over someone else's.

But you're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it. :D

I know wat ur saying although cant you say that with any system?? for example the playstation being superseeded by the playstation 2. does this mean the playstation is not worth buying because all its games now have updates on the PS2? your argument is flawed my friend since this happens with all consoles

(And i will never buy a sony console, ever)
asnozz
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: asnozz
XBL: asnozz360
Steam: asnozz

Postby LanDC » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:29 pm

Of course you need one. It is the best console ever released.. Still the best.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby JAPANFAN » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:12 am

asnozz wrote:does this mean the playstation is not worth buying because all its games now have updates on the PS2?

Yes. :P Because not only can you play the exact same games on the PlayStation 2, but you also have the next-generation software to tackle as well. ;)

It's the same deal with the Dreamcast and the three systems that surpassed it. 8)

But remember: I'm not telling him to not pick one up. I'm just saying that had he already played Shenmue before, or were Shenmue to be released for another system, there'd be no reason to purchase Sega's obsolete console. :P
JAPANFAN
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to General Gaming