Niao Sun/Chonghua/Tyojun-new description translated by Kiyuu

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Niao Sun/Chonghua/Tyojun-new description translated by Kiyuu

Postby Ziming » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:35 pm

Footage of Niao Sun in motion
phpBB [video]

This character description comes from the shenmue premiere video, I asked Kiyuu to give us an accurate translation of her introduction in the video. Thanxs Kiyuu!

Niao Sun
"One of "the Four Leaders" of Chiyou Men, in charge of the south*.
She wears voluptuous red dress, and her manner seduces people.
Her fearful eyes that pierce everything are always seeking chases.
She takes pleasure in cruel actions and eliminates people just like bugs
."

*Note:There are four gaurdian animals and Niao Sun's symbol
is red phoenix, guardian of the south. Just like Landi's symbol is blue
dragon, guardian of the east.

http://www.qi-whiz.com/animals.html

Image Image

Last edited by Ziming on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby drporkchop » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:42 pm

Interesting...

Sometimes I almost think the long wait inbetween Shenmue 2 and 3 has been a good thing. So much has been discovered by translation and the hacking LanDC has done...someone even figured out what the reflection in ShenHua's eye in the passport disk was...If we were already playing Shenmue 3, we never would have found any of this stuff out...

Of course then, we would have Shenmue 3...

Hmm...
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:53 pm

I see how she seduces everyone...

I wonder how the guardian thing plays out? Maybe each leader guards a different headquarters (east, south, west, north)

And what did the reflection in shenhua's eyes mean? I didn't think anyone figured it out
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ziming » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:01 pm

I wonder why they decided to change Landi's outfit from blue to green if "blue dragon" is his representation. Anyway I prefer his green outfit, this description of Niao-sun makes me curious about Landi's introduction in the video.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Just for your reference....

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:36 am

Hellraiser wrote:I wonder why they decided to change Landi's outfit from blue to green if "blue dragon" is his representation. Anyway I prefer his green outfit, this description of Niao-sun makes me curious about Landi's introduction in the video.

The traditional Asian culture, at least Japanese and Chinese, doesn't distinguish
blue and green. We still call young green leaves "aoba" meaning "blue leaves",
and the green light of traffic signal blue! Interesting, huh? ;)

BTW, ancient capitals in China and Japan usually had four gates to guard the city.
Modern Chinatowns still follow that custom. There's some information about the gates:

http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=gojap ... t1020.html

Among the info, "Suzaku" means red phoenix and "Seiryu" means blue dragon.
Also, that page includes the info on the "Kantei-byo", the same type of temple as Man Mo Temple.
Last edited by Kiyuu on Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sailorstick » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:19 am

We really should make Kiyuu an honourary Moderator. I think we'd be a lot more clueless without her.
Sailorstick
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby waser2 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:23 am

this is sweet! good find
waser2
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SAM2 PS2 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:55 am

Very nice job, Hellraiser & Kiyuu! ;) Quite interesting...

8)
SAM2 PS2
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Just for your reference....

Postby Ziming » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:42 am

Hellraiser wrote:
Kiyuu wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:I wonder why they decided to change Landi's outfit from blue to green if "blue dragon" is his representation. Anyway I prefer his green outfit, this description of Niao-sun makes me curious about Landi's introduction in the video.

The traditional Asian culture, at least Japanese and Chinese, doesn't distinguish

BTW, ancient capitals in China and Japan usually had four gates to guard the city.
Modern Chinatowns still follow that custom. There's some information about the gates:

Also, that page includes the info on the "Kantei-byo", the same type of temple as Man Mo Temple.

Yes I've seen and heard about the four animal gaurdians in a anime called Fushigi Yugi and the game Last Blade. I've decided to look into it more and found this page that gives further detail. Thanxs for the tip about blue/green in Asian culture. :)

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/daoist-beliefs/immortals&immortalism/pg2-4-3-4.asp

This has me to wonder if these four leaders of the chiyoumen actually gaurd vital locations to unlock "Chiyou" in areas of China?
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Just for your reference....

Postby JCA » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:59 am

Hellraiser wrote:
Kiyuu wrote:

Yes I've seen and heard about the four animal gaurdians in a anime called Fushigi Yugi and the game Last Blade. I've decided to look into it more and found this page that gives further detail. Thanxs for the tip about blue/green in Asian culture. :)

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/daoist-beliefs/immortals&immortalism/pg2-4-3-4.asp

so that's why pokemon: blue is the green edition in japan. :o :idea:

nice translation, thanks for that kiyuu.
JCA
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Vielli » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:36 am

Yeah nice find, this way we at least get to know something more of the mysterious Chiyoumen organisation. Since Niao Sun is the Phoenix and Lan Di the Dragon. Ziming must be the Tiger and the old man (Master Chen mentioned that the Chiyoumen leader was named Chi You) the Snaketortoise
Vielli
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:36 am

Very cool stuff Kiyuu and Hellraiser.

Maybe Ziming is the "Guardian of the West", and the Guardian of the North is the guy we don't know in the 4 Leaders of the Chiyoumen picture...he's probably the leader of the whole organization. Do we have anyway of associating Ziming with the Guardian animal of the West? And are the guardians in the same order as that picture we find in Ghost Hall Building?
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Ziming » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:09 pm

They are known as the Green Dragon, the White Tiger, the Black Tortoise and the Red Phoenix.

The names are taken from the Chinese view of the sky, which divides astronomically into four large constellations - the Green Dragon to the East, the White Tiger to the West, the Black Tortoise to the North and the Red Phoenix to the South.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Actually

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:54 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote:Very cool stuff Kiyuu and Hellraiser.

Maybe Ziming is the "Guardian of the West", and the Guardian of the North is the guy we don't know in the 4 Leaders of the Chiyoumen picture...he's probably the leader of the whole organization. Do we have anyway of associating Ziming with the Guardian animal of the West? And are the guardians in the same order as that picture we find in Ghost Hall Building?

They say there's a big boss above the "Four Leaders," called "ten-tei" in Japanese.
I don't know the English name for him but it means heavenly emperor.

And the guardian of the west is white tiger as Hellraiser said. But here's a problem.
White tiger is "Baihu" in Chinese. Is Master Baihu Ziming? No, most likely!
Then, isn't it confusing, if there're two Baihu's in a story?
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Actually

Postby Ziming » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:16 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
Tomato Convenience Store wrote:Very cool stuff Kiyuu and Hellraiser.

They say there's a big boss above the "Four Leaders," called "ten-tei" in Japanese.
I don't know the English name for him but it means heavenly emperor.

And the guardian of the west is white tiger as Hellraiser said. But here's a problem.
White tiger is "Baihu" in Chinese. Is Master Baihu Ziming? No, most likely!
Then, isn't it confusing, if there're two Baihu's in a story?

I doubt Master Baihu is Ziming since we are talking about Xuiyings older brother, he would most likely be equal or perhaps have higher skill then her in Baji-quan. (Baji-quan style originated from Meng-kun where Landi's father was murdered) Let's not forget his appearance in the comic, he could be one of the four leaders if he hangs around Niao-shun.

Now Baihu the fighter Ryo defeated could possibly be a recruiter for the Chiyoumen, as a final test before they joined the organization. Ryo could meet with Baihu again for one or both of the following reasons.

1. To be trained on a specific move from "Tiger Swallow style", perhaps from that mysterious move scroll that Guizhang translated? When Ryo first walked in from the elevator he saw Baihu's finish his opponent and said "What was that move?"

2. Fill Ryo in on the history of tiger swallow style and how it relates to Zhou Sungming. Maybe some further details on the deadly style Landi uses.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III