Do you prefer japanese or english dubbing?

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby Eyeman » Fri May 02, 2003 12:01 am

Jacob Marley wrote:English, of course!

What's the sense of listening to the Japanese dub if you have no idea what's being said?

My thoughts exactly
Eyeman
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Lord_Magneto » Fri May 02, 2003 3:12 am

I definitly would go with Japanese, the dubs aren't great. I don't mind reading subs, then again I usually understand most of whats said without the subs.
Lord_Magneto
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Silas » Fri May 02, 2003 6:26 am

Hmm, I like the English in Shenmue, and at first I found the Japanese in Shenmue II a little jarring. However I soon got used to it, and I think I like them equally.

However, what I don't like about the English of Shenmue IIx is the fact that all the names and pronunciations have been changed. Wan Chai will always be Wan Chai to me, not Wanzai. Zhu Yuanda, Tao Lishao and Zhao Sunming were all established in the original, they should have left the names like that. (It's not like they suddenly started saying Di Lan, is it?).

As to performances, some of the minor characters in Japanese are every bit as bad as the minor characters in English. The same goes for most games, cartoons and radio plays. It just doesn't bother me.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Veteah » Fri May 02, 2003 6:31 am

The dubbing in shenmue 2 isn't as bad as I thought it would be, by the way every one was going on you would think they all talked like Noriko *shudders*, I still like the Jap voices better though.
Veteah
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Luigi The Echidna » Fri May 02, 2003 7:47 am

To be honest... I can't really decide between Japanese and English.

The Japanese Dub sounds good and I would have been lost if it wasn't for the subs (what's the point of having Japanese Language if ya can't understand it?)
Luigi The Echidna
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby SpringChick » Fri May 02, 2003 9:57 am

English. Not because it's better (they're both good) but because the first game was in English and that's what I got used to. If the first one had been in Japanese, I would have preferred that. Too bad they couldn't choose one language and stick with it for the entire series.
SpringChick
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ÐÃ ß×® » Fri May 02, 2003 10:16 pm

well english is good because that's the language i speak but jap is good too so i like jap better is cooler for me
ÐÃ ß×®
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby TEEPO™ » Sat May 03, 2003 10:28 am

Japanese, Ren sounded so much cooler.
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

English

Postby Forklift#5 » Sat May 03, 2003 10:35 am

Both my friends bought Shenmue II and own XBoxs and when we talk about the game they're always like 'Matt, It's Wudu not Wude" so I actually like to know how it's pronoucned
Forklift#5
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Sat May 03, 2003 10:00 pm

Ok, to begin I don't have a xbox but I still wanted to play shenmue 2. I got the import for the dreamcast relunctently as it was in Japanese. I didn't like it for a while as all I had know was the English in the first one. But after a while I thought the voice acting was great. I actualy found it easier to take characters more seriously in Japanese as I had talked a freind of my roommate down the hall to play shenmue and him having a xbox got that version. I listioned to the voice acting. It was alright but sounded pretty weird. I got that same feeling of ryo being a lunkhead in english. Ren sounded weird and dou niu? sad. I was so prepared to hate the Japanese voice acting but I came to love it. And whats with all of this not ''even understanding what they are saying''? They are called subtitles. If you saw Crounching Tiger Hiddon Dragon in theaters you would know how out of context the dub was when compared to the original. Ryo is not American he does not really speak english. Do you have any idea how differnt old godzilla movies are in engish and Japanese? It's almost completely differnt. It's japanese voice acting in a Chinese speaking country in english subtitles. Gotta love it. (did anyone ever bring up the point when ryo wanted to go to hong kong that that don't really speak Japanese? Well lucky for him every one in Hong Kong apparently took Japanese as a second language and speak it fluently...)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Neo Matrix » Sun May 04, 2003 4:37 pm

Except that they said Nihao instead of konnichiwa.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Dragonslayer88 » Mon May 05, 2003 5:54 am

I prefer the Japanese dubbing. Makes it more realistic and I don't mind reading the subtitles.
Dragonslayer88
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby kumo_no_yuza » Mon May 05, 2003 6:14 am

JAPANESE is BEST!!!
also hope the third episode has an "alternative" chinese dubbing...
for chinese characters... of course.... (hoping that Ryo has learned enough cinese!!!!!!) :D
kumo_no_yuza

Postby hazuki-styler » Mon May 05, 2003 7:43 am

Japanase dubbing of course ! They're much better , and english dub are horrible , I don't want to hear "wudu" ! :D
hazuki-styler

Postby Sonikku » Mon May 05, 2003 5:34 pm

Yes! Turn to the Japanese side! All of you! They will one they rule this world....

[img]http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~shenmuedojo/community/shenmuq.jpg
[/img]
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II