British or American Comedy?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

British or American Comedy?

Postby Twist » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:53 pm

Which do you think is better?

Personally I am a huge fan of both mainstream (i.e. Little Britian), classic (Only Fools and Horses, Blackadder, Porridge etc.) and more 'alternative' British comedy, such as The Mighty Boosh, Black Books, Peep Show etc.

American comedy is ok, but its all a bit samey and so fucking cosmopolitan it hurts (i.e. Will and Grace). I am partial to a bit of Scrubs, but at the end of the day nothing beats, original, witty, 'out there' British Comedy.

I could go on all night about my love of British comedy, but i'm gonna throw the floor to you guys, what do you think?
Twist
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:09 pm

American comedy is so shit, nothing is sutble, it's all Slap-stick, blanty obivous kind of comedy. British comedy plays on words and can be much more subtle.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Eeeh, I think it's funny enough that they say things like "bum", "wanker", and all those little words in their everyday language. I don't need to watch a comedy about that when I can just watch a european news channel or something.

For me, I prefer American, Canadian, and Mexican comedy. Stuff like the American version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, Kids in the Hall, and any random comedy I see on Mexican stations are good enough for me.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Twist » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Kensuke NOL, dude. wrote:Eeeh, I think it's funny enough that they say things like "bum", "wanker", and all those little words in their everyday language. I don't need to watch a comedy about that when I can just watch a european news channel or something.

For me, I prefer American, Canadian, and Mexican comedy. Stuff like the American version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, Kids in the Hall, and any random comedy I see on Mexican stations are good enough for me.

Obviously your knowledge of British comedy is limited to parodies from the simpsons and family guy. Have you even seen an episode of Blackadder? It's a little more than the occasional profane comment!
Twist
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:28 pm

Actually Beavis and Butthead, but that's beside the point. :lol:

In all seriousness though, I saw the original Whose Line Is It Anyway and I thought it was alright. I can see why they had to add some of the American cast later on.

'sides, I don't have any euro channels to watch. And even if I did, I don't know if i'd get used to those british accents unless it was all part of a joke skit or something.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Twist » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:31 pm

used to our accents?
we invented the language, its not our fault you can't speak the queen's english :P
Twist
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Staplerfahrer Klaus » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:47 pm

I like some mainstream and alot of alternative British comedy (not much into the classics). I'd say good American and British comedy is on a par. The British are just way more likely to make something good.
Staplerfahrer Klaus
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:06 pm

Seinfeld.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:09 pm

Twist wrote:used to our accents?
we invented the language, its not our fault you can't speak the queen's english :P

Yah, i'm more used to way my friend stoners and my family consisting of mexicans speak. :P

But don't get me wrong, I bet there are a few good shows out there. There always are. Just currently I see more of the other stuff in my own country, and i'm not too impressed with a few of the things I see over there.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:11 pm

Dave Chappelle and Dane Cook. Nuf' said.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:36 pm

Dave Chappelle is alright. He just has a few good skits but I never seen anything drop dead funny from him.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Nameless » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:39 pm

This is ridiculous. This is basically a question of where you live? I live in the states so I see zero British comedy, I don't know if I ever even have so I couldn't say I like one more than the other but who am I to judge. So far out of the 4 people that I know where they live, 3 are in the U.K. so what do you think they will say? British of course, now grant it in all honesty it might be funnier. I just don't know cause I am never exposed to that. So my un biased and un informed answer is American.
Last edited by Nameless on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nameless
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Araviel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:54 pm

I like both....for different occasions,
Like, I grew up with a dad and grand parents who loves British comedy, so naturally I adapted that kind of sarcastic, dark sense of humor. Intelligent humor I guess one could call it. Or simply cruel. Norwegian humor is quite similar actually...
The American humor. Depends what kind. Like I don't laugh at Will and Grace, but I do laugh at Team America or say Shrek (brilliant). Also, for hangovers, nothing like a bad teeny weenie movie from the States. You can laugh or at least snigger without having to think too much...
But in all...British or Norwegian I'd say, but that's what I'm used to, so a bit of bias there for sure...
Araviel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby IveBeenCensored » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:03 pm

hmm a mixture of stuff, from what I see I'd say
1.) American - Seinfeld, Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, SNL, Daily Show, Real Time with Bill Maher, late Show with Letterman, late night with conan, Family Guy, enough said

2.) Canadian - Corner Gas, Kids in the Hall, SCTV, Royal Canadian Air Farce, Red Green, Talking to Americans (those americans will believe anything), This hour has 22 minutes, Just For Laughs, Comedy at Club 54, Puppets who Kill, and I'm sure theres a couple I'm forgetting about.

3.) British - okay honestly I haven't seen that much, but Are You Being Served was good back in teh day (its funny how they keep saying knickers and knockers), Keeping up Apperances was good too, Yes Prime Minister was horrible. Thats all I've really seen.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenshin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 pm

Ren Suzuki wrote:hmm a mixture of stuff, from what I see I'd say
1.) American - Seinfeld, Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, SNL, Daily Show, Real Time with Bill Maher, late Show with Letterman, late night with conan, Family Guy, enough said.

^^nuff said. Also Mad Tv.

I don't think I've seen any British comedy in all my 19 years of living. So I'd say I'm a bit biased. :P
Kenshin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Off Topic