British or American Comedy?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Gregoroth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:57 am

Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Alan Partidge, Father Ted, Black Books. Need I say more? I do like some American stuff as well though such as Scrubs and a bit of Friends. I used to watch friends a lot when i was younger so I can't really watch many episodes in one go anymore. The Simpsons just pisses me off completely now. How many times do you need to air that show? No, not constantly. I also saw some of Curb Your Enthusiasm which was hilarious. I heard a lot of it was ad-lib too, which I thought was impressive.
Gregoroth
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Grumbler » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:17 am

British radio comedy is the best. Radio 4 and 2 specifically.
Grumbler
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby TEEPO™ » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:01 pm

Modern British comedy is wank, except for The Office. However, the older stuff is some of the best in world. Red Dwarf, Only Fools and Horses, Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Brittas Empire, BLACKADDER! The americans could never make comedy as good as our classics. Fact. The only american comedy I like is Frasier. That was good quality. The other american 'comedies' I've seen are just unintelligent, silly flim-flam wank.
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby John Petrucci » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:31 pm

Eh, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Scrubs, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, The Simpsons (it used to be fucking transcendent), Futurama and such are just beyond awesome. Even shit like Family Guy is pretty good too. It doesn't even seem close.
John Petrucci
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Clint » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:44 pm

^Our stand up comedy is far more intelligent. (I agree with you on the TV shows, UK suck)

Rather than talking about being black, we actually have a great range of stand-up comedians.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby EWJ » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:46 pm

I do like a few American comedies. Frasier is my favorite, (I was just watching it as a matter of fact) but I also like That 70's Show, Third Rock From The Sun, Spin City and Two And A Half Men.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:04 pm

Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Mr. Bean, Porridge, Blackadder, Only Fools And Horses are ALL British, I know which side I stand on :P
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:12 pm

American...how can you beat George Bush? he is on all channels and is always fucking up and the best part..it's real.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:27 pm

-Ryudo- wrote:American...how can you beat George Bush? he is on all channels and is always fucking up and the best part..it's real.

YESSSSS

and my extent of knowledge on britsh comedy is Mr. Bean.
Oh Mr. Bean... *day dreams*
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Hikusaak » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:55 pm

-Ryudo- wrote:American...how can you beat George Bush? he is on all channels and is always fucking up and the best part..it's real.

Yeah that is hard to beat.
Hikusaak
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ys » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:12 pm

British stuff I like : Fawlty Towers and Monty Python
American : Seinfeld, King of Queens, Everybody loves Raymond, Curb your enthusiasm and Colbert's roast at the White House which was incredibly clever and great.

Besides that I like some Flemish (that's the northern dutch speaking part of Belgium) comedy shows. Though most of the stuff out there is simple crap. The ones I like are more absurd or satire.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby IveBeenCensored » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:05 pm

Clint wrote:^Our stand up comedy is far more intelligent. (I agree with you on the TV shows, UK suck)

Rather than talking about being black, we actually have a great range of stand-up comedians.

thats where Canada can kick all of your asses. Stand up comedy on TV is awesome here. Just For Laughs is tapings from the Montreal International Comedy Festival (largets comedy festival in the world) and has the world's best comics (Canadian, British, Australian, American, whatever). That plus a bunch of smaller shows make it great. The only funny stand up I've seen on US television is the odd HBO special with someone good. Not sure about Britain's shows. I'm not saying theres no funny US comics, but US stations just don't seem to showcase them much.

Brtitain I'm sure has some great shows, but they probably don't have the volume of the USA. Like again Canada has some incredible shows that are just as funny as anything from the US or Britain, but theres just not enough of them to keep you occupied, so I watch a lot of American comedy. Its probably similar with British vs. US (although Britain has more than Canada obviously)
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby John Petrucci » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:20 pm

Clint wrote:^Our stand up comedy is far more intelligent. (I agree with you on the TV shows, UK suck)

The most popular comedian in the United States right now is likely Dane Cook, who isn't black and really isn't that funny. But, still. Guys like Chappelle, well, he might riff on the black jokes... But, having loosely followed him for the last 6 years or so, the dude is really intelligent. And the whole Sesame Street bit he used to do? Awesome.
John Petrucci
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby . » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:54 pm

Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby IveBeenCensored » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:18 pm

John Petrucci wrote:

The most popular comedian in the United States right now is likely Dane Cook, who isn't black and really isn't that funny. But, still. Guys like Chappelle, well, he might riff on the black jokes... But, having loosely followed him for the last 6 years or so, the dude is really intelligent. And the whole Sesame Street bit he used to do? Awesome.

Chapelle does "black" comedy (meaaning he's not just black, but makes most of his jokes about being black), but with some guys it seems that the stuff is only funny to black people, which isn't really the case with Chapelle. While I get a little sick of hearing all about how the police are racist and everything (not sure how much truth there is to this anymore), he's a funny guy.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic