Darksiders

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Darksiders

Postby OL » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Wasn't really paying much attention to this before, but now that its release is coming up it seems to be getting a lot more press.
The main thing that grabbed my attention about this was that Joe Madureira (who used to be my absolute favorite comic book artist) is doing the design work and is acting as creative director for the game, so any videos I've seen of it have been a bit like watching a Joe Mad comic from the 90s that never happened. And that thought is awesome to me.

Since I've only just now become interested in it, I'm curious what everyone else thinks (since I'm sure there are at least a few people here who have been looking forward to it and know more than me).
Got a giftcard for christmas that I've been itching to use, and this game is looking like a good candidate for it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwbwgtF61eg
Last edited by OL on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Artstyle would prevent me from enjoying this,I hate it as it reminds me of WoW.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Aw, come on, don't let that stop you. It's about as far removed from Warcraft as can be anyway. From what I've seen, it's all single-player goodness. Melee sword combat, horseback gunfights, Panzer Dragoon-style flight sequences...
And the art style is far more detailed and comic book-ish than any of that generic Warcraft crap. From what I've seen, I actually thought you would like it a lot, Ryudo.

Gameplay-wise, to me it looks a lot like equal parts Devil May Cry, Legacy of Kain, and Zelda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFtL1cHmWVo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op1VX3MIIj8&feature=related
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Gameplay looks fine but I just don't like the Hulk like characters and it just looks to me like a Wow inspired design with much better visuals. :?

My first post,I was to quick to say a comment.

Maybe I would grow to love it or very least accept it.
Played many games where that happened.
Biggest example is Wind waker..I used to hate it beyond belief and could only think of the elves from those lame 1960's Rudolph claymation specials.
Then loved it as I played it since it made more sense.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:36 pm

:lol:
I never equated the elves from Rudolf to Link in Wind Waker before...
You bastard, now you've ruined WW for me.
:razz:
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Satoshi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I've actually been getting kind of interested in the game. I've heard it come up in several different podcasts and the storyline alone is intriguing enough to pique my interest. The gameplay sounds like it could be a winner, too, mixing all those tried and true formulas might not turn out so bad.

Unfortunately I feel as though even if the game is good it'll only be overshadowed by the frightening release schedule of Q1 2010.
Satoshi
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Yeah similar to OL I only started to follow this game within the past month or two. It's definitely gonna get overshadowed but looks like it's gonna take the zelda formula and run with it. I heard mixed things about gameplay length though, I read people say it's 8-12 hours, others 15-20 so we'll see when the reviews come out.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby OL » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Hell, even if it's 12 hours long, that's pretty good by today's single-player, level based standards.
Admittedly, I'm not expecting anything fantastical or life-changing from the game. I'm just looking forward to it for what it is: a stylish, entertaining, comic book-style action/adventure game. Can never get enough of those. And this one looks particularly well-made.
Oh, and it's got Mark Hamill in it. Always a plus.
Just pre-ordered it with that giftcard.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Siiick, yeah I may end up renting it or buying it down the line. For what it's worth too it's been getting some good reviews so far.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:42 am

I may get it, further down the line.

I'm not acquainted with Madureira's work but I wish more game companies invited star artists to do games. Todd McFarlane did a few, and then there's the Level5+Studio Ghibli things in Japan, but there are so many more I'd love to see.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Absentia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:28 am

It sort of brings a fresh look to the genre, and darksiders is going to need it since it's up against the likes of god of war and bayonetta...
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 am

I saw this mentioned on GT in the PS3 forum, I'm not too familiar with everything you said in the first post, so I may give it a miss for now unless I can dig out some old games for a part-exchange. My nan gave me a giftcard for Xmas, but I'm waiting until March to use that. To be honest, I'm leaning slightly towards Bayonetta :?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Ugh, Bayonetta? Really?
Haven't played the full game, but the demo left an awful taste in my mouth. Granted, I wasn't so keen on it initially either, but I got to thinking "I'd really like to play something DMC-ish; maybe this will do."
So I tried it, and... bleh.
Flighty controls, ugly art design, horrible music, one of the most irritating lead characters to come along in years, and a general sense of "this game is trying way too hard to be cool."
I'm not going to judge if anyone else likes it (I like my fair share of "crappy" games actually), I'm just saying Bayonetta didn't seem worth it to me.

Back to Darksiders though, come to think of it, it might satisfy that desire for something DMC-ish that I was talking about. And at the same time, it might satisfy (to an extent) my want for another Legacy of Kain, and another Zelda that doesn't implement motion controls. So it's covering a lot of bases that I really enjoy.
Plus, though Joe Mad worked in comics initially, he actually quit several years back because he decided he had more of a passion for videogames, and felt he had made enough of a name for himself as an artist to get into the business. He's worked lightly on a couple games before this, but it seems like this is the first one where he's really at the head of development. And that interests me personally because I was such a fan of him before, and it'll be great to see what he can come up with.
Some of the monster designs I've seen from the game just scream "Battle Chasers" (which was the comic he was working on before starting videogames) already.

I'm getting a little too excited for it now.
:lol:
I better stop so as not to be disappointed.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:24 pm

First review I've seen, and it's very, very positive:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1057715p3.html
They basically say that while it largely just borrows elements from other games, the expert level of presentation, gameplay, and overall polish along with an excellent sense of pacing make it extremely worthwhile.
And they describe the game length as being about 15+ hours, plus more of you try to backtrack and get 100% (which I probably will).

All sounds great to me.

They also make mention that the regular Medium difficulty setting is sometimes a little too easy, and in later battles makes it too easy to just button-mash your way through, making them feel less epic and more anticlimactic than they should. So I think this might be the first game that I ever play on Hard mode (called Apocalyptic mode here), right off the bat.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

I hate youOL as i now have genuine intrest in this game.

I still hate that wow-ish poster.

I see much inspiration from zelda in some of the gameplay and I like clones more these days than the actual zelda series.
Plus I like games I can use swords....I like swords.....yes I really like killing things with swords yes sir.

Not so much guns.

Damnit I need my NMH fix like you need your DMC fix,good thing both these cravings look to be fixed this month.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to General Gaming