What are you reading?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:23 pm

A forum. And i often read in wikipedia. I don't believe in the tradition of killing trees to satisfy the quench of the reader for a few hours.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:A forum. And i often read in wikipedia. I don't believe in the tradition of killing trees to satisfy the quench of the reader for a few hours.

Audible.com and a Kindle.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 pm

A fifth of the way through this. Excellent, so far.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LawXiu » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:A forum. And i often read in wikipedia. I don't believe in the tradition of killing trees to satisfy the quench of the reader for a few hours.

I used to say that to my school teachers. Never got me anywhere.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am

LawXiu wrote:

How many plants do smokers kill in a day anyway?
How many trees are killed to make packs of ciggs?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 am

Oh, who gives a shit. Trees grow back.
Goddamn tree-hugging hippies.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:38 am

Do you live in a mut hut with a computer made of manure or what?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby LawXiu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 am

Ryudo™ wrote:
LawXiu wrote:

How many plants do smokers kill in a day anyway?
How many trees are killed to make packs of ciggs?

I stopped smoking ages ago.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:38 am

Kenny™© wrote:

In germany houses are made of stone, if yours is made out of wood you missed the story of the wolf and the 3 piggys.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:25 pm

I live in Texas. We shot and ate the wolf a long time ago.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:
Kenny™© wrote:

In germany houses are made of stone, if yours is made out of wood you missed the story of the wolf and the 3 piggys.

While I dont think its necesary to not read books because you care about the environment, at least it shows that you got a lot of love for the nature, because too many people are still too ignorant(especialy people on the internet), I personally go about it in other ways though(like walking whenever I can rather than driving ten minutes down the road)I just love books too much!! although it is an abloute waste when there are like two completely blank pages at the back of the book
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:52 pm

It's not like i hate books, i bought loads of them in my youth, but today when you can get most books as ebooks i feel they are a bit old fashioned.

The last book i got was a tourist guide for Tokyo that my dad bought me for me 4th trip to Japan. Well a bit late (I already saw many interesting places in and around Tokyo) and not that it was on my "wishlist", but still a nice gesture. And i really took it with me and got some nice tips for day trips out of it.

I mean usually to make a book they waste trees or other plants, they waste dye, they waste power and workforce, the books are transported to bookshops, wasting fuel and for like 80-90% of the books just to reach one person that reads them in like 3 hours or in worst case doesn't even touch them. It's a terrible waste of resources to transport informations you could have downloaded in 30 seconds from the internet.

IMHO it's simply wasting resources. In Frankfurt there was once a campaign to leave books you have read at public places, like "forgetting" them in a bus or on a bench and so on, i kinda liked the idea as that way the books were at least read by several persons.

I don't say books are bad or stuff, i just think they were great in medieval times or so, but today they are a bit old fashioned. I don't say reading books is bad or stuff, but if they only reach a single person it's really an unnecessary waste of resources.

When i went to school computers were so ridiculous expensive that barely any private person could afford one, today i hear that many students can take a laptop into their classes. Books won't die out tomorrow, but i feel like vinyl records they will slowly fade away.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Vinyl records have not faded away,infact they are more popular than they have been in over 30 years and some of the biggest record makers make new ones in mass quanities,Audiophiles and DJ's are keeping that business very much alive.

Sorry MK also I find anyone who smokes talking about resources laughable.in all the paper wasted on a useless habit.

Besides switching from one source to the other does not save anything really,now you are just using up more energy to charge batteries in devices and when the batts can't be charged anymore people toss them or take them to places where they think they are being disposed of properly but really shipped to china as a dumping ground and the plastics and such are burned in barrels releasing harmful chemicals in the air,not to mention making e-readers produces harmful chemicals to make the parts.

Plus using a computer uses lots of energy,you can't win. The only way to help the earth and be really "green" is to just die and rot in the ground and become fertilizer.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Gingefners, The » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:41 pm

What about all the jobs people could lose because of you? The poor lumberjacks, bookstore owners, printing and binding people guys and gals etc. You're putting people out of work and on the streets leading them to a life of crime and drugs. They could steal your computer to fund their habit you caused and then you'd be bookless.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Never mind the computer is not invincible and can have its memory wiped clean through a number of methods.

And once all the information is gone, then what? We'd lose our culture, our history, and we'd be doomed to repeat the same mistakes our ancestors made before us. Paper anything still has use for that reason.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic